NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Patrick N.

Default What player's post-playing days hurt/helped their career?

After hanging up the cleats, which player(s) hurt or helped their career and image (and by extention their card values)??? I was thinking Don Mattingly could get a bump if he has a successful managing career. On the downside, the obvious choice would be Pete Rose due to his gambling and lying. And also Joe Namath for being a drunk on MNF with that one ESPN babe.

Last edited by mintacular; 05-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM

The other obvious choices, on the "downside," would be those otherwise "star" players, implicated in the so-called "steroids era" (including Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Sosa, Palmiero, et al.)
Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Rhett Yeakley

-Kirby Puckett hurt his image after his career was over. However, dying young will lessen the damage in the long run.

-Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, and Lou Pinella all helped their image with good managerial stays in the majors to the point that any number of the three could end up in Cooperstown some day (whether you like them or hate them).

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Roger McDowell, on the gravelly road. Had to hurt!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roger mcdowell.jpg (16.9 KB, 294 views)
Old 05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Roger McDowell, on the gravelly road. Had to hurt!
The second spitter! Awesome!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
J@son M1ller

OJ? Not sure everyone would agree but his stock went down in my eyes the moment he murdered two people

I don't think the frozen head thing with Ted Williams helped him much either. I think it's pretty much blown over but there were a generation of fans that only knew him as that cryogenics guy.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Rob Miller

I don't think the value of Pete Rose or Joe Namath cards were hurt at all. In fact it is possible that Rose cards have maintained relatively high value because of his off the field nonsense.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:31 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Juuuuuust a bit outside...

I'd have to go with Bob Uecker for the "helped" side of things. What other .200 career hitter has a PSA-8 rookie card go for $250 on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1962-Topps-Bob-U...item35b221d317

Even ungraded versions go for $50+
Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 PM

There are obvious MLB players like Billy Sunday who became widely known for their other professions.

Then there are the career minor (or Negro) leaguers whose post-baseball lives just slightly boosted their popularity: Charley Pride, Conway Twitty, Kurt Russell, Scott Patterson, Macho Man, and even Zane Grey.

BTW, Scott Patterson was the actor who felt that he was "sponge worthy".

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-25-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:55 PM

I think Willie Mays, through his bad attitude towards fans has hurt his popularity immensely in his post-playing days.

On the other hand Buck O'Neil really bolstered his image with his wonderful participation in Ken Burns' Baseball and Buck's inspirational and touching book after that.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Bob Pomilla

Though there were issues during his playing days, last major league 30 game winner Denny McLain's post career life was a disaster.

Last edited by brickyardkennedy; 05-25-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
T0dd M@rcum

One of my favorite cards is a Scott Boras minor league card.

I think Maury Wills may have really been harmed by his post career stuff. He also had poor, poor timing, playing in a depressed hitting era. I think everyone thought he was a hall of famer during his playing days and he was truly a harbinger of change, almost as much as Ruth (I am not saying he was Babe Ruth). I would take him ahead of a lot of shortstops in the hall if I were fielding a team.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM

I can't remember the player's name, but a few years ago I remember reading a story about a career minor leaguer in the Dodgers system who, through sheer luck, had purchased property that he came to discover sat on top of a billion dollar rock quarry.

Matt White was his name.

Last edited by packs; 05-25-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Ted Zanidakis

The "Scooter" was a beloved ballplayer by many during his playing days (1941-1956). And, those of us who were fortunate to listen to Yankee
games (TV & Radio) from 1957 to 1996 enjoyed Rizzuto's broadcasting and banter with his broadcast partners. Furthermore, during the 40 years
of Rizzuto's broadcasting, two generations of BB fans gained an appreciation of this great BB personality and his tremendous insight of the game.

[linked image]

On the other hand, there is Chuck Connors, who was a pretty good athlete in his youth. Played BB briefly with the Dodgers and Cubs and Basketball
with the Celtics. However, he realized early that he was not destined to make a career in professional sports. So, he pursued a career in acting.
While playing for the LA Angels in (PCL), Chuck was able to gain the exposure with Hollywood scene.

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Some thoughts on football.

On the upside, I can remember former Buffalo Bills QB Jack Kemp's cards went up in the 1990's when there was a buzz regarding him running for president.

Tom Landry, John Madden, Don Shula Bud Grant & Chuck Noll are all in the Hall of Fame as coaches and all had pretty much forgettable careers as players in the NFL. Madden also did pretty well as a broadcaster.

I agree with the prior comment that OJ is pretty much as bad as it gets - even if you don't think he committed murder, that Vegas episode was the coup de grace for his public image. Lawrence Taylor is also rounding off the bottom with a lot of his latest escapades.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Sean Brennan

We're forgetting the NUMBER ONE post career benefit player - MOE BERG
Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robextend View Post
I don't think the value of Pete Rose or Joe Namath cards were hurt at all. In fact it is possible that Rose cards have maintained relatively high value because of his off the field nonsense.
Rose's issues have kept him in the public eye. Negative or positive, people still want his cards, especially his rookie. Gambling-wise, there's really no definite right or wrong in regards to what he did. According to MLB rules he did something wrong, and the rules are the rules. BUT there's still alot of doubt as to whether or not he ever did anything unethical or detrimental in regards to the integrity of games that were under his influence. If anything, the man used his baseball knowledge in an attempt to cheat at gambling, rather than cheating baseball to benefit his gambling, as most people like to spin it.... Everytime he does something, somebody writes an article about him, or he applies for re-instatement, it creates a small buzz the he may possibly still end up in the hall of fame. If he ever does, I anticipate his stuff will jump. Regardless of outcome, Rose will always be in the public eye, 'til the end of time. As his status currently sits, there will always be articles written about how he belongs in the HOF. If he ever gets in, there will always be articles about how he doesn't. His situation will forever be win/win or lose/lose depending on your perspective, much the same as Joe Jackson. HOF or not, they will forever be two of the most historically significant names in the game.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike

I think several palyers were helped by the book The Glory of Their Times. I have heard that it may have played a direct role in Goose Goslins entry to the Hall of fame.

Mike
Old 05-25-2011, 03:11 PM
John Hanssen

A couple of books written by Jim Bouton & Jose canseco
did'nt go over well with other ball players.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM

"After hanging up the cleats, which player(s) hurt or helped their career"

Guys like Miller Huggins, John McGraw, Casey Stengel, etc. only helped their baseball careers after they quit playing.

I'm not sure what side of the coin to put Billy Martin on?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Rose's issues have kept him in the public eye. Negative or positive, people still want his cards, especially his rookie. Gambling-wise, there's really no definite right or wrong in regards to what he did. According to MLB rules he did something wrong, and the rules are the rules. BUT there's still alot of doubt as to whether or not he ever did anything unethical or detrimental in regards to the integrity of games that were under his influence. If anything, the man used his baseball knowledge in an attempt to cheat at gambling, rather than cheating baseball to benefit his gambling, as most people like to spin it.... Everytime he does something, somebody writes an article about him, or he applies for re-instatement, it creates a small buzz the he may possibly still end up in the hall of fame. If he ever does, I anticipate his stuff will jump. Regardless of outcome, Rose will always be in the public eye, 'til the end of time. As his status currently sits, there will always be articles written about how he belongs in the HOF. If he ever gets in, there will always be articles about how he doesn't. His situation will forever be win/win or lose/lose depending on your perspective, much the same as Joe Jackson. HOF or not, they will forever be two of the most historically significant names in the game.
Supposedly he only bet on his team to win, if this is true not sure how horrible that is. But he really sealed his fate when Jim Gray gave him a chance to say he was sorry but instead continued to lie and then a short time later writes a lame book admitting everything. I have always thought that once he died he could end up in the HOF since he has more hits than anybody to play the game and was one of the greatest players ever. Time will tell. As for Kirby Puckett, his life was destroyed by a couple reporters who crossed the line and the outcome was the complete ruin of his life which spun him into a deep depression and eventually killed him, and now his kids have no father and baseball lost one of the most liked, friendliest players to ever step on the field.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

To be technical about it, Jim Thorpe, Greasy Neale and Dave DeBusschere were greatly helped by their off the baseball field activities.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Dan McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
To be technical about it, Jim Thorpe, Greasy Neale and Dave DeBusschere were greatly helped by their off the baseball field activities.
Add Michael Jordan to that list, too
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM
$teve O.

How about Lenny Dykstra.He gotten himself in some trouble.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM

Taking a different spin on this question:

Whose negative off-the-field antics actually sealed their fate as a fan favorite? Despite his speed, would we have known today about somebody like Steve Dalkowski otherwise?

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

There are a few people who are locals here in L.A. that I think have helped themselves. Rex Hudler is a wonderful announcer. Lasorda after playing was still a HOFer. Jimmie Reese is a popular local as well and his rookie card is a tough find. Lasted forever after playing as a scout and coach. I would also have to say Jackie Robinson...did as much after as he did before for baseball and the country.

Eddie Grant gave his life for his country...as did others.

Jim Abbott will one day be regarded as a great player and greater human. Even get a chance to see him speak, do so!

Depending on your political slant...Senator Jim Bunning.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Edited to add Curt Flood...although playing just 13 more games...after his career was over he was still a pivotal player in getting free agency up and running...whether that is good or bad ??????????

Joshua

Last edited by Wite3; 05-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

To reply to Jodi's post as well...

JR Richard, Steve Howe and Dock Ellis immediately jump to mind.