NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Hello Derek,

Yes disagreeing with someone on something is so very mean. Also pointing out mistakes and outright lies fabricated by Ted within this very thread is also mean. I’m so sorry.

I guess I should never point out lies being passed off to board members, I should never disagree with the Ted Z, I should never question anything he says when I have been collecting these cards almost as long as Ted. I should take everything Ted says as gospel and be done with it…is Ted giving out free catalogs now? LOL

Also glad to see you show up on the board I would like to talk T206’s with you too, but alas I have nothing to share or any knowledge of them. It’s a good thing you have Ted.

Good stuff BTW amazing new to the board and your very first post is to dig up a month old thread to defend Ted in a thread where we disagree and Ted got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. And to re-pick a fight if you will nice job.

Then your second post is to dig up another post of Ted’s to say good job buddy you rock. Wow it’s almost if Ted and you talked and someone put you up to a bit of campaigning on their part…or you’re about as real a person as Trapper.

If you are real look forward to talking cards especially T206’s I’ll try to be quite while the adults like Ted and you are talking.

You may think I’m mean in my motives or way of disagreeing with Ted, but at least I’m not transparent like you. LOL

Cheers,

John

P.S. Mr. Wonka to you..., BTW tell Ted hi for me the next time you talk via email or on the phone...Ted I know you're reading this hope I still get to see the AB460 set in Oaks or even better your Sam Rice collection. Also isn't there to be a full name in here somewhere...and dont tell me DerekMichael is the full name either.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Default Hi John

Actually, I am looking for a nice green Cobb and have read that Piedmonts will typically be miscut. I simply searched this site looking for information on it and I sadly stumbled across your posts. I have never seen someone act the way you have over a baseball card and I found it very disturbing. Disagreeing with someone and being flat out mean are two very different things. Also, I enjoyed Teds post today as did many others who love the tougher backs.

Cheers,

Derek
Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Derek- just out of curiousity, does your sign off "cheers" have anything to do with a vendetta against john? No offense intended, but you have 3 posts on this forum, and this visit comes out of the blue. I thought this thread was a long past memory.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-14-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichael View Post
Actually, I am looking for a nice green Cobb and have read that Piedmonts will typically be miscut. I simply searched this site looking for information on it and I sadly stumbled across your posts. I have never seen someone act the way you have over a baseball card and I found it very disturbing. Disagreeing with someone and being flat out mean are two very different things. Also, I enjoyed Teds post today as did many others who love the tougher backs.

Cheers,

Derek
Sure Derek you just happened to join to learn about Green Cobb's that are found OC, and were appalled by my posts...

Hey Derek while we are telling stories I’m the Easter Bunny and you’re not getting any candy this year.

By the way do you have your Dad’s permission to be posting or talking shop? This wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that you are chatting with Ted offline right?

Also I find it funny or should I say a coincidence you will be nice to Jim who also has questioned Ted but I’m sure that has nothing to do with the fact you’re trying to snag more Broad Leafs from Jim especially his BL460. Nice PSA 4 McGinley BL350 in the REA lot.

Like you said I’m sure it’s all by random chance you found this site searched “Green Cobb Off Center” and felt the need to drag up a month old post and toss lighter fluid on it as your very first post. Then you’re second post was to dig another month old post from pages gone. That once again Ted Z started and give the public keyboard stroke job of the century.

Also how about tossing your full name up unless we have tossed that rule out by coincidence as well, not for me I know it but for our readers.

Cheers,

The "Mean" Easter Bunny

P.S.
Kevin, I do find it very ironic that Ted trumpeted a huge conspiracy theory about a hidden agenda or campaign to discredit him and he would, be happy to discuss the details off line “of what’s really going on here” with other board members.
Then along comes Derek out of the blue ….hmmmm who’s running a discredit campaign against who not that I care knock yourself out it’s no secret I’m a jerk. LOL

You want to know what’s really going on here…simple I disagree with Ted Z on something he stated as Ted Z T206 Law and you just don’t spit into the wind, you don’t tug on Superman’s Cape and you don’t mess around with Ted Z’s T206 theory’s.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-14-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hey guys....

Hey Guys,
For all concerned. I count all of ya'll as friends. Lets get over this stuff and get back to collecting cards. Mean spirited posts don't help the board, or you guys, that much. There are a ton of folks that only read the board and have thought about posting, then they see this kind of stuff and they don't want to. It's a shame. I am not saying not to bring up injustices, lies, deceit, fraud etc....but the personal attacks on friends and mean spirited posts have to cease for all involved. Please, All of ya'll are good guys and I count Ted as one of my favorite hobby guys and favorite people on the board. If a mistake was made then so be it. No need to get all personal > And I understand about how bad this or that is but really....it's baseball cards guys.

Just to show everyone that I will even help.....lets all meet at my table on Saturday and I will leg wrestle John. Hows that? Right there on the floor in front of the table. Loser buys the first round that evening!!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Default Hi Again

I did not join specifically to research the green Cobb and the centering issue, but it is one of the reasons. I guess what set me off would have to be the picture of Pinnochio, it is just mean. I do know Ted, we did a trade a few months ago an he was a very nice man, but to be honest, I get the impression you are implying he told me to write that, which 110% false. However you are entitled to an opinion. Also, I am nice to Jim because he was nice to me, and I had a lot of fun chatting with him because I could tell he had a true passion for these cards and he told me this was a passion he shared with his dad (just like me), who suggested getting as many different tobacco brands as he could find (I share the same interest). His BL460 is an AWESOME card but not in my price range sadly. I was thrilled when I got the BL350 McGinley. I tried really hard to find Fred Mitchell and Dick Rudolph as well so I could have the complete Toronto team with BL350 backs but came up short. Anyways, I love T206 cards a lot and hope to educate myself further with the veterans on this site.

PEACE,

Derek Hogue

Last edited by DerekMichael; 04-14-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: full name
Old 04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Leon you're on not sure the basics on leg wrastlin' but I'm in. Gladly buy you a beer if I lose.

Also I agree you it's only cards. I said my peace and voiced my thoughts a month ago and moved on. Then this guy decides to join in today in the forum just to re-fire up a thread????

Sure nobody pointed him in this direction.

Leon also for the record I'm not the one who seems to be taking this so seriously.
While you may feel posters hide because of disagreements just as many don’t bother because of guys like Derek here who's only contribution to this was to say I'm mean and Ted is great...not sure he even read this thread at all.

Even you have to think this is a bit odd his first post is here in this thread....come on.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-14-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Leon you're on not sure the basics on leg wrastlin' but I'm in. Gladly buy you a beer if I lose.

Also I agree you it's only cards. I said my peace and voiced my thoughts a month ago and moved on. Then this guy decides to join in today in the forum just to re-fire up a thread????

Sure nobody pointed him in this direction.

Leon also for the record I'm not the one who seems to be taking this so seriously.
While you may feel posters hide because of disagreements just as many don’t bother because of guys like Derek here who's only contribution to this was to say I'm mean and Ted is great...not sure he even read this thread at all.

Even you have to think this is a bit odd his first post is here in this thread....come on.

Cheers,

John
John- he is taking up for a friend. Yes, I agree it's his first posts but not sure why that has to matter. I am not going to get into a peeing match...I am just sayin' lets be civil.....ok? And you better bring a lunch and a lantern to our leg wrastlin' match. We're goin' be there a while.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:51 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Derek,

Fair enough and I'll take your word etc.

But if you're really about learning about the hobby and cards (T206's or anything) and you really read this very thread...and really read this thread I think you might come away with a different POV.

Remember there’s always two sides to a coin, I didn’t just decide to pick on Ted either. I’ve known Ted for some time. You may be disappointed with me being mean in your eyes, but many of Ted’s friends in this hobby are very disappointed with his actions as of late and the way he has treated folks on here.

Funny you call me mean, I wonder if any of the new posters that dared to post anything against Ted and his views on cards would come here and explain how they were talked to like children and told to sit in the corner if you will.

You don’t have to take my word feel free to read through this forum and the older forum and see for yourself.

Cheers,

John
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Derek-no hard feelings, i was just stating an opinion on something that I thought had died some time ago.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-14-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
John- he is taking up for a friend. Yes, I agree it's his first posts but not sure why that has to matter. I am not going to get into a peeing match...I am just sayin' lets be civil.....ok? And you better bring a lunch and a lantern to our leg wrastlin' match. We're goin' be there a while.
Leon I only agreed to a leg wrestling match, we can do the peeing match on Sunday.

Great taking up for a pal that’s cool, but really the very first post?

I do wonder if you would be so easy going if some new member dug this thread up to toss Ted under the bus again a month later for his very first post to defend me, and not have his full name in here?

Lantern and lunch box in hand, see you in Oaks have a good flight.

Cheers,

John
Old 04-14-2011, 08:04 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Default John

I have spoken to Mr. Z twice in my life I believe while working on a trade proposal and I found him to be a very sweet man. I respect everyones opinion, I just think we can be nice. I never mentioned the fact you questioned another collectors findings (part of the fun of these kind of pages is finding out new things). Posting those pictures etc. was a little shocking to be very honest and I do hope things like that do not happen again on here just because it has no place in my honest opinion. If we may all just make peace, PLEASE? Anyways, as I said I am here for the cards!!!! I am thinking about getting a scanner soon and posting a few of my pieces. I have a hardcore love for Addie Joss and have both shots with the Sovereign and Polar Bear backs (not very rare backs at all, but I was always very happy that the Polar Bear had not a drop of tobacco on it which i have always found to be tough). What is your single most cherished piece?

Peace,

Derek Hogue
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Derek- i would have to say mine is a t206 sgc 88 cy young (glove shows) tolstoi back. It would have to take alot of doing to get that one. Thanks- kevin... 2nd would be my t206 green cobb psa 8oc.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Derek,

Whatever no hard feelings all good.

I have to laugh though just 4 posts ago you’re very first correspondence with me was I am mean, I'm a silly mean person…who adds nothing of value and Ted is a sweet wonderful kind soul and I’m distributing.

Now on your 5th post you want to know what is my most prized card or collection item and share card talk with you.

I should also accoridng to you clean up my act and not post funny pics to illustrate my point of view in a disagreement with a fellow board member who I have spoken with more than twice in my life.

You now have also become or appointed yourself the social barometer of what is acceptable practice on a board I’ve belonged too for many years.

I think you will find contrary to your view I have added plenty of knowledge and shared plenty with this forum beyond the occasional funny pic or disagreement which BTW I get more kudos for than hate mail for.

I have also contributed much in the way of hobby awareness and card knowledge so for you to pop on here today and paint me as a one trick pony is no more insulting to me than you feel I was to Ted.

Forgive me if I don’t jump into a feel good happy fun time talking cards with you tonight.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-14-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM
D@rek H.ogue

John -
I will never speak with you again, you have my word.

Kevin-
Nice!!! An 88??!! That has a pack fresh look I am sure! That has always been my favorite shot of Cy Young, which for me is unusual because I am obsessive over the portraits. Have you noticed any tobacco stains? I always have trouble finding Tolstoi tobacco cards that are completely stain free, but at an 88 grade I am sure yours is close! Does the OC on the Cobb mean it is off centered as in one of those qualifier grades? I have been trying to find a really nice green Cobb but man, they get pricey for the nice ones! For me it is my Addie Joss cards. Sovereign and Polar Bear aren't tough to find I know, but man oh man, I still cannot find a stain on mine. I want to start collecting more of the tougher backs, they are so interesting to me. What is your favorite back?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

derek- sometimes you have to forgive john. oompa loompa attacks or whatever, nevertheless, he knows his trade and he is a very experienced collector on this forum. his experience is very valuable, and i myself have collected t206s for over 20 years. i have never been a back person. i would rather buy psa 7-9's with common backs, than psa 2-5's with rare backs. just me i guess! take care- kevin

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 04-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Kevin - That is cool. I obsess over the backs myself. Robert Edward has TONS of high grade stuff this year. I saw the shot of Lajoie throwing graded with an 8!!! I have never actually owned a 9, that is wild. I respect everyones opinion on the cards, trust me. Anyways, thanks for telling me about your cards. If you ever come up on some rare backs we should make a trade for some of my higher grade stuff. Man, I have still not been able to find a Jack Chesbro in a higher grade ( not even a 6!!! ). Anyways, thanks man, I just used this thing for the first time today and there is a ton of interesting stuff. I didn't know it was stuff besides T206.That is very cool. Anyways, you ALL do very good work!!!

Peace and Love,

Derek
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Frank Wakefield

The only injury that does harm, is one that's remembered. Let it go, John, and move on. Please.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Eric Shaeffer

John did let it go. Derek brought it back up.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Frank Wakefield

No.

And it could have ended there. John may well have to get another 'last word'. But if he's bringing it back up then he hasn't let go of it, he's still holding on.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Kevin, you don’t have to forgive me there’s nothing to forgive me for….also I don’t like how anytime somebody points out something or voices a disagreement it’s labeled as an attack. If you read back this thread and the thread prior linked it was simply a disagreement.

Then Ted took the leap of faith stating it was more than that it was an elaborate conspiracy to discredit him by myself and Jim R which was absolutely not the case Ted came to that conclusion on his own. After defending ourselves and pointing out things that have upset many of us via Ted, during that process he got caught in a lie. I have a feeling he’s embarrassed by that as he should be there’s no need to lie.

Even more why lie at all? Sorry if I see hypocrisy in playing the loveable old T206 scholar on the forum all the time making up info to fit your theories and presenting it as fact to collectors who respect your thoughts and who don’t know any better. I cant imagine sending someone off into the collecting world with bad info by accident I would feel bad let alone on purpose.

Derek this is a discussion and sharing forum.

Sometimes folks are going to disagree with you that’s ok it’s called a discussion or debate. If you state something as fact or present an argument or theory and someone counters with a fair argument or an equally qualified point don’t cry the blues, don’t make up stuff to prove your point and don’t get your feelings hurt.

There’s nothing wrong with speaking your mind, and speak it how you feel fit as long as there your thoughts.

I’m was not attacking you in my last post but surely you can see my point you come in here in a blaze not knowing half of the back story or reasons behind my debate with Ted.

Note:Derek believe it or not there is a legitimate back story here I didn’t just wake up one day and decide to pick on Ted or discredit him for fun; I’ve known the guy quite some time. While I won’t go into details and I left many out of this thread as they didn’t add value to what was already here there have been some actions lately that have quite a few long time friends or collecting acquaintances of Ted's beside themselves.
Then to go on and roughly say I’m the root of all board evil, add nothing of value then say never mind tell me about your collecting.

All of which I’m ok with you have the right to do so that’s the beauty of a discussion board.

Best of luck in your collecting and yes…cheers to you.

John

Derek FYI http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...ro-PSA-8-NM-MT

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-14-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added link to be nice...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Eric Shaeffer

I understand where you're coming from brother, believe me, I am just stating what I see. Derek resurrected the thread defending Ted, and then tries to turn it into a "favorite t206" offshoot. Puzzling.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Right nothing new here Frank W chimes in and barks to say go back to the kids table and let it go, I'm not to say anything now that the adults have spoken.

Frank having you give advice on knowing when to be quite or stop talking is comical BTW.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Johnny S

I just saw the eye's move in Erics avatar and it really freaked me out, I thought I was seeing things or having a flashback !!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
I just saw the eye's move in Erics avatar and it really freaked me out, I thought I was seeing things or having a flashback !!

The first time I saw them I freaked out too....I am sitting at my desk just laughing....
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 PM
D@rek H.ogue

Default John

I am breaking my word, I do have one more thing to say to you Sir. I apologize for this whole thing,, and I mean that with complete sincerity. Obviously, it is not my place to voice my opinion amongst you and you peers. I am 25, own ten T206 cards currently and have never made a single post or contribution to what you gentlemen do here, only used it once a few months ago to conduct research on Sovereign 350 ( apple/ lime green ) and Sovereign 460. However, when I went on the page about the Ty Cobb ( green portrait ) in regards to the centering I was honestly sort of shocked. I know people will present different facts and research and we all get to learn awesome new things by sharing acquired knowledge with each other, but to be completely honest, some of the things I saw were just very unsettling ( i.e. the Pinnochio pic etc. ). I know I do not know Mr. Z like any of you guys. I have only actually spoken to him two separate times right around Christmas when we were talking trade and he was a very nice man. He taught me about Jack Dunn and Shag Shaughnessey and really had a passion for these cards, just like I do with my Dad. I do not question anyones knowledge AT ALL, that is what makes these sites so fun. I bet you could teach me things that would blow my rookie mind. I guess I just really found some of that stuff to be way, way too much and it bothered to a point where I decided to chirp about it and not think about the negative aspects of my action whatsoever. There really is nothing else I can say, other than I am sorry for disrupting what you and your friends do here. It is fantastic and nothing can match the experts who have seen it all first hand. Nada. I hope you and your friends continue to enjoy your cards and good luck finding what you covet. ALL of you guys do really great work. I mean that. I will stay in my place from now on and just use the site for research as I originally intended.

Derek
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Derek,

There’s no need for you to apologize. It doesn’t matter if you have 10 T206’s or 1000’s. It doesn’t matter if you're 25 or 75 everyone here is equal. Some of the smartest collectors I know have the smallest collections knowledge doesn’t come from time or quantity of anything. It comes from the willingness to learn and the desire to continue.

Feel free to chime in and ask or say anything. This isn’t about hierarchy or who has completed what or how many of what. Only the little people talk down to others with the old chestnut “I’ve completed this many sets or been doing it this long so be quite or I don’t need to listen to your thoughts."

Someone’s personal background/timeline or collecting prowess doesn’t rule out you having a thought or input on here.

I’m happy you voiced your thoughts it’s all good. Just don’t be mad at me for voicing mine. I too could take the bird’s eye view of how you handled talking to me the same way you felt I was hard on the beaver (Ted).

At the end of the day you are no rookie we all collect cards. Feel free to learn and feel free to question never blindly follow someone because you think you don’t have the right to ask questions or disagree.

Also know on a personal level regardless if you believe me or not I wasn’t picking on Ted just because. There’s more of a back story you may not be aware of that’s all I was saying. At the end of the day I don’t doubt Ted loves cards and baseball never have never will.

What I had issues with is clearly voiced in this thread, for you the reader to decide on, nothing more nothing less. As for pictures not everyone can read (Dan McKee) some folks like picture books that's sometimes why I ad them.

I wish you the best; sorry you had to break your word. Hopefully that’s all that get’s broken with the recent auctions seems a few of our piggy banks may get broken too.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Also I take comfort or pride in knowing that at the age of 25 that the most disturbing picture you’ve found on the net was my Pinocchio pic. (Joking)

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The first time I saw them I freaked out too....I am sitting at my desk just laughing....
I made it to be like the paintings in Scooby-doo.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Ron Skaggs

Default Green Cobb

If anyone is still counting here is mine

Regards
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green cobb.jpg (16.9 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg green cobb back.jpg (21.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 05-28-2011, 01:05 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Default one more Piedmont 150 Cobb

pardon my digging up an old thread but I only just started reading them.. skipped most of the middle pages on this one.. anyway, a pretty well centered P150
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Cobb.jpg (46.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Cobb back.jpg (72.9 KB, 106 views)