NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Default Macon Trivia

Can anyone identify this player?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guess Who.jpg (27.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by Tsaiko; 06-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 PM
David McDonald

NM

Last edited by Kawika; 05-21-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:38 PM
JeR@Me

Default ....

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 05-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 PM

The two deleted guesses were deleted, I'm supposing, because they realized who the player was, which I think was the easy part of the question. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Here's the rest of the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack Sold To Fort WorthTexas.jpg (37.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Jack Robinson seems to be an interesting fellow, even if only to me, but there is very little information about him that I could find, outside of baseball.
He was born in Maine and apparently went to Harvard, but who knows if he graduated. A Harvard grad meandering around the minor leagues for most of his young adult life would seem out of the ordinary. Although he did make it to the major leagues with the New York Giants, but for less than a month, after being loaned to the Giants from Waterbury, Bridgeport. He played four games but didn't get any hits after 9 at bats according to Wiki. Maybe he always dreamed of going back.

After going back to Waterbury in 1902, I don't think he ever went north of the mason dixon line again. He played with and co coached the Jacksonville Jays from 1904 to 1906, when he got traded to Macon Brigans. He stayed with Macon until 1909, when according to the Macon Telegraph headline he was sold to Fort Worth Texas.
After that he vanished, as far as I can tell, until his death, in Macon at 41, in 1921. I read somewhere that he was considering opening up an automobile dealership with Ty Cobb, but can't find any other news about that happening. Unfortunately the online archives of The Macon Telegraph only go up to 1908, but I was hoping some people at net54 might know more.

Apparently he had a great arm, was a hard worker and was popular in Jacksonville as a manager as reported in The MaconTelegraph July 9th and 14th 1904.
But by Sept 8th 1904, it appears that he was inconsistant. (Pieces of the articles below)

There was a human intrest story about him finding a pearl and striking it rich on Feb 8th 1907 in Macon.

Then according to The Macon Telegraph, Dec 1908, the Macon team was undergoing some changes and a blurb about Robinson appears discussing the 1909 line up and the possibility that he might not make it.

So, was he tempermental, a trouble maker, talented but a boozer, who knows, but there must be some more information about this guy, unless he changed his name.
A popular expression, which can be seen quoted many times for years in Telegraph stories is, "quicker than you can say Jack Robinson", an expression that goes back as far as the 1700's. Maybe he was teased and had had enough?? He died young, so maybe he was a boozer. The answer is probably out there, but the question is, does anybody really care?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Jack-July 9th 1904.jpg (72.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2-Jack-July 14th 1904.jpg (40.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 3-Jack-Sept 8th 1904.jpg (55.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 4-Jack-Feb 8th 1907.jpg (47.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 5-Jack-Dec 20th 1908.jpg (68.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
JeR@Me

Default You Stumped me...

I was stumped, thus removed my previous post ! Very intersting info - Thanks for sharing...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:43 PM

That you were stumped on the player is hard to believe with all your knowledge of southern leaguers, but I'm glad you found it interesting.
I guess what happened to Jack between the time he was traded to Fort Worth and the time of his death will remain a mystery. There are probably some answers in later editions of The Macon Telegraph, but that, right now, is a mystery too.