NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Default Non-baseball related cards or memorabilia with strong ties to baseball...

Dan Bretta's latest post in the memorabilia pickup thread, of his Frank Zehrung signed letter, got me thinking about other non-baseball related cards and memorabilia of people who for one reason or another have a strong tie to baseball. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about photo's of known players doing random things... Also, with Macho Man's death, it got me thinking about anything baseball related items of him. So maybe, baseball related material of people who later went on to be better known for other things would be interesting as well.

I'll start with an Ogden's card of boxer Abe Attell, who was often stated to be the middle-man between Arnold Rothstein and the White-Sox during the 1919 World Series.

I'm hoping to see some interesting and obscure items, please post what you can..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attell.jpg (21.2 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by novakjr; 05-23-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Bill

Default Movie poster memorabilia...

Costner...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAAAA.jpg (82.9 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by 53Browns; 05-23-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Bill

Also...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abba.jpg (17.7 KB, 264 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
David McDonald

"non-baseball related cards and memorabilia of people who for one reason or another have a strong tie to baseball"
Purdue fullback Bill Skowron:

"baseball related material of people who later went on to be better known for other things"
University of Illinois baseballer Red Grange:

Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Dan Bretta

Here are some photos of Dan Tobey who is in the Boxing Hall of Fame as a ring announcer..he was the Michael Buffer of his day and appeared in numerous Hollywood movies as himself.

Here he is in his former life as a player with the Nebraska Indians

Dan Tobey
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

George Halas Major League BB career started and ended with the Yankees in 1919. He couldn't hit a curveball. Most would say this was a "blessing
in disguise".
Of course everyone knew George as "Papa Bear". He founded the Chicago Bears in the early 1920's, was their Head Coach, and played RE. In 1925,
Halas greatly enhanced the newly formed NFL by recruiting Red Grange (from Halas' Alma Mater....Univ. of Illinois)....and, the rest is history.

[linked image]

TED Z
Old 05-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs Chuck Connors:

Tom Mix had a team:

Part-owner of the Vernon PCL team and Zeenuts subject Fatty Arbuckle:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Beat writer Jack Kerouac was a HUGE baseball fan and even created his own baseball game that he would play throughout his life. He made up entire leagues, teams and players and not only played out whole seasons with a championship but even wrote game summeries and put them in his own newspaper! The New York Public Library had a display a few years ago about it and I drew up this card showing him as manager of the Pittsburgh Plymouths.

If you're interested in the story I wrote about it, it's here:
http://www.infinitecardset.blogspot....rch/label/Jack Kerouac
Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 PM
S Gross

Ty Cobb, common name ..................

t225acobb.jpg

(T225-2)
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Clint

I stumbled across this article from the Kansas Historical Society about a guy named Dudley Haskell who played baseball in the 1860's. Haskell went on to serve Kansas in the House of Representatives. I was wishful in thinking that I might be able to find some type of photo of him. Luckily I was able to purchase this book about him and it had an engraving of him in it too. Here's the link to the article which might be interesting to some.

http://www.kshs.org/p/cool-things-ba...-and-bat/10283

Haskell had a school in Kansas named after him. It is called Haskell Indian Nations University. There were two great multiple sport athletes that attended school there. One was Jim Thorpe and the other John Levi. Most have not heard of Levi but he was consider one of the great all around athletes of his time. Here's a short article on his career. I was fortunate enough to get two rare photos of him.

http://americanindianathletichalloff...m/johnlevi.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haskelldudley.jpg (79.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg dudleyhaskell.jpg (77.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg levi.jpg (37.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg levilevi.jpg (37.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Definitely some great stuff so far... Here's another of mine.

From Wikipedia:

"Baseball had its first appearance at the 1912 Summer Olympics as an exhibition sport. A game was played between the United States, the nation where the game was developed, and Sweden, the host nation. The game was held on Monday, 15 July 1912 and started at 10 a.m. on the Ostermalm Athletic Grounds in Stockholm.

The Americans were represented by various members of the American Olympic track & field athletics delegation, while the Swedish team was the Vesterås Baseball Club, which had been formed in 1910 as the first baseball club in Sweden. Four of the Americans played for Sweden, as the Swedish pitchers and catchers were inexperienced. One Swede eventually relieved Adams and Nelson, the American pitchers.

Six innings were played, with the Americans not batting in the sixth and allowing the Swedes to have six outs in their half of the inning.

The game was umpired by George Wright, a retired American National League baseball player.

Two American teams played a second exhibition match on July 16th."

1912 Standing High Jump Gold medalist and Standing Long Jump Silver medalist Platt Adams was the starting pitcher for the "US East" team that won the second game. Jim Thorpe also played right field for the "US East" team in the second game.

Here's Platt Adam's 1910 t218...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg platt adams.jpg (21.4 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by novakjr; 05-27-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
qualitycards

Default Movie Memorabilia