NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Default Help with Old Judge Variations

Posted By: James W

Hello,

I'm new to collecting vintage (pre-war) cards and was wondering if someone here could help me.

I'm interested in collecting all the Parke Swartzel Old Judge (N-172) cards. I've haven't been collecting cards for about the past 4-5 years and only have a Beckett Collectors guide. In that, it talks about some cards having no number and some with numbers, also some have copywrite dates while others don't. In all, it said there was something like 5k variations in the set.

So my question is, what all known variations exist for Parke Swartzel?

Thanks for the help,

James Walker Jr.

Old 06-13-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Well if I can recall correctly there should be 6 different poses of Swartzel. Now as far as variations well that's a different story. There are many kinds of variations in the N172 set, team, year, Old Judge ad, even color for the picky which is caused from the picture aging. The pink color can only be found on cards produced from 1889 or 1890 due to the change in the paper used for printing the photograph. (Obviously) If you don't mind me asking what's you intrest with Mr. Swartzel? Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions and welcome to the 19th century world.

Trevor Hocking
trevor@dlhstudios.com

Old 06-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

According to the World Tobacco Index which we have run in the Standard Catalog in the past, and may again someday, Swartzel is found in six poses: 1) batting, 2) fielding, 3) pitching, hands by left shoulder, 4) pitching, ball in right hand, thigh-high, 5) pitching, right hand by head and 6) in jacket, arms at sides. If you want to consider typographic variations, #1 can be found either with, or without a comma after the P and #2 can be found as Kansas City or Kansas Citys. This should be a lifelong challenge for you -- Good Luck!

Old 06-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john(z28jd)

good luck trying to find all the variations of a certain player for sale,ive been at it for 4 years collecting the same player and im still missing 2 variations which ive never even seen,but it will be cool when you do find the ones youre looking for..... good luck and it would be intersting to hear(as trevor already asked) why this particular player?

Old 06-15-2002, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James W

The reason I'm trying to collect this player is as follows.

I've live in central Indiana and have always wondered if someone from my home town has ever played pro-basbeball. Well, a few days back I was visiting www.baseball-reference.com and noticed they have birth places listed. To my surprise, there was one person who played and was from my home town. However, he was never on any cards. So, Parke Swartzel was the closest person born to my home town. Also, my father was raised in the same town that Parke was born.

That's why I'm trying to collect Parke.

Along with Parke, I'm also starting a T206 collection.

James Walker, Jr.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

James--I have one Swartzel Old judge available. If interested, please email me at curl777@aol.com and I will send a scan and quote a price.

Best---Jay