NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Interesting Old Judge card

Hello, I have been watching this card on eBay for the past 2-3 years, and it has always intrigued me. The card was listed by a friend of mine who owns a card shop that is 40 miles away from me. Yesterday, I decided to drive to the shop and take a look at the card in person. I ended up buying the card, along with a couple of other older cards.

There are 3 things that are interesting about this card.

1. There is a label attached to the back of the card that says "Governor D. B. Hill". I checked online, and David Hill was the Governor of New York from 1885 through 1891. This OJ card was made in 1887, so did the Governor actually own this card? If so, I am curious about the way that he came across this card. Possibly he purchased a pack of OJ cigarettes and he was the original owner? Did Sid Farrar give him the card for some reason? Anyway, I always enjoy thinking about the history of old cards and I always marvel that they still exist after 130 years.

2. The team designation is "Philadelphias", with an "s" at the end of Philadelphia. He played with the Quakers and the Athletics. Did one of these teams call themselves the Philadelphias?

3. There is some writing on the wall near his right ankle. I haven't dug out my 100 power microscope to see what is written on the wall. Perhaps someone knows?

I have ordered the Miller:Masson Goodwin OJ book. Hopefully, when it arrives in a few days it will give me some additional info on this card.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oj.jpg (6.2 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg oj back.jpg (14.7 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpeg oj3.jpeg (13.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpeg oj4.jpeg (13.8 KB, 254 views)

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hello, I have been watching this card on eBay for the past 2-3 years, and it has always intrigued me. The card was listed by a friend of mine who owns a card shop that is 40 miles away from me. Yesterday, I decided to drive to the shop and take a look at the card in person. I ended up buying the card, along with a couple of other older cards.

There are 3 things that are interesting about this card.

1. There is a label attached to the back of the card that says "Governor D. B. Hill". I checked online, and David Hill was the Governor of New York from 1885 through 1891. This OJ card was made in 1887, so did the Governor actually own this card? If so, I am curious about the way that he came across this card. Possibly he purchased a pack of OJ cigarettes and he was the original owner? Did Sid Farrar give him the card for some reason? Anyway, I always enjoy thinking about the history of old cards and I always marvel that they still exist after 130 years.

2. The team designation is "Philadelphias", with an "s" at the end of Philadelphia. He played with the Quakers and the Athletics. Did one of these teams call themselves the Philadelphias?

3. There is some writing on the wall near his right ankle. I haven't dug out my 100 power microscope to see what is written on the wall. Perhaps someone knows?

I have ordered the Miller:Masson Goodwin OJ book. Hopefully, when it arrives in a few days it will give me some additional info on this card.

Rick
I can help with #2 and #3. The National League team was the Philadelphias; the American Association team was always the Athletic (usually singular rather than plural). The "writing on the wall" is actually on the negative. It says Copyright 1887 Goodwin & Co. (It may be 1888 or 1889, but it is definitely a copyright statement.)
Old 10-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Philadelphia's

Thank you!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello Rick,

You will learn a lot more about Goodwin & Co. and their cards with the book. Regarding your three questions . . .

Quote:
Your card was actually produced in 1889 and was likely distributed through a pack of Old Judge or Dogs Head cigarettes. It is card number 153-2c. This pose was first issued in 1887 and then re-issued in 1889 and 1890. It is also known in cabinet form (N173). It is possible that the governor himself was original owner.

Quote:
The team is the Philadelphia Quakers. Goodwin would often list only the city and pluralize it.

Quote:
RUKen provided the right answer, it is a Goodwin & Co. copyright.

All the best and enjoy the book.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 10-07-2017, 12:32 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There's no proof. But if someone's name is on the back, it is fair to assume it belonged to that person. I don't know other reason why a name would be on the back.

Last edited by drcy; 10-07-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Interestingly Governor Hill also had his own cards made, they would look great framed together (the Lake Erie card is impossibly rare though)...

An example currently on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N133-DUKE-ST...cAAOSwRWVZz69b

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Also, it should be pointed at that Sid Farrar while being a somewhat famous baseball player had a daughter that would become one of the most famous women/singers in America, Geraldine Farrar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraldine_Farrar

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Info

Thank you all for the info. This is what makes the hobby interesting and fun. I put a bid on the Hill card on eBay. We will see how that goes.

Thanks again! Rick

Old 10-07-2017, 02:42 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default why stamp it three times??

possible it belonged to him but I own and have owned quite a few cards and die-cuts that have been stamped at times by mischievous and wayward boys and girls long after the fact.