NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Default What's out there?

I recently won first place in our NASCAR league and I now have $400 to spend. I would like your opinion on what card I should purchase. Should I look at popular cards or ones that are overlooked/undervalued? I think I should rule out raw cards because of my untrained eye and would like nicer card, in excellent or better condition. One more thing, nothing "modern".
What do you think?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Dave_Berg

I wouldnt buy, just to buy. I'd put the $ away until something comes along that you just gotta have- and are happy you have the money to spend on it. Just my thought on it.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
I wouldnt buy, just to buy. I'd put the $ away until something comes along that you just gotta have- and are happy you have the money to spend on it. Just my thought on it.
I can't think of any card that I "just gotta have". I agree that I shouldn't rush in this and I won't.
thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'd register with some of these auction houses:

http://oldcardboard.com/calendar.asp

if you haven't already.

There are usually plenty of nice things available in the $300-$500 range.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Enjoy!!

Why don't you get a card you will enjoy or need for your collection, and if concerned about it holding value, be cognizant of that too? Top tier HOF'ers usually hold value a little better than commons (and there are tons of different series you can choose from), so that is a start.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Why don't you get a card you will enjoy or need for your collection, and if concerned about it holding value, be cognizant of that too? Top tier HOF'ers usually hold value a little better than commons (and there are tons of different series you can choose from), so that is a start.
Leon, I have tended to make "inexpensive" purchases in the past, mostly commons in higher conditions. Maybe I'll take a look at some of the hof'ers that don't command terribly high prices but are still in above average condition.

Thanks for the replies!
btw, I am registered with a couple of auction houses.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

For that money you could get a pretty nice (I think) midgrade Goudey first tier HOFer like a Hornsby or Ott, that would seem to be a good use of those funds.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

What do u currently collect? Or want to collect?

T cards?
Ruths?

What do you like

If i had 400 to spend id look to buy a ruth w551, or a ruth i dont have or a t205 Johnson etc
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 12-02-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Bry@n

I concur with the others - make sure you find something you love before you leap.

If you are looking for a pre-war HOFer from a well-known set where the prices aren't crazy you might take a look at M116 Sporting Life as discussed recently in a thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=197547

Good luck - make sure you post your card when you get it! (and note that it is where your $400 went)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM
pariah1107

Hell, not one of you congratulated the man on winning a NASCAR league championship. I did not have Harvick to win it all, awesome pick!

I am sure there is a formula, but; What are your interests - What is your budget + your imagination = What you may have. Good luck sir.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
For that money you could get a pretty nice (I think) midgrade Goudey first tier HOFer like a Hornsby or Ott, that would seem to be a good use of those funds.
I'll look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
What do u currently collect? Or want to collect?

T cards?
Ruths?

What do you like

If i had 400 to spend id look to buy a ruth w551, or a ruth i dont have or a t205 Johnson etc
My wife says I have ADD. I start with one set then put that one on hold and then move to another. I have a hand full of Gold Borders, a couple of T206's, a few odd ball cards from the teens, some early 50's Bowman commons, a few 1958 hires with tabs, 1961 topps, 1968 topps, 1970 Kelloggs and 1973 Kelloggs. As you see I just jump around from here to there. I know I need to focus, still working on that.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
My wife says I have ADD. I start with one set then put that one on hold and then move to another. I have a hand full of Gold Borders, a couple of T206's, a few odd ball cards from the teens, some early 50's Bowman commons, a few 1958 hires with tabs, 1961 topps, 1968 topps, 1970 Kelloggs and 1973 Kelloggs. As you see I just jump around from here to there. I know I need to focus, still working on that.
Lmao! Then from what your saying id say a nice t3 is something you should look into!

🎅
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:07 PM
George E.

With $400 and some patience you could finish off several of these - "1958 hires with tabs, 1961 topps, 1968 topps, 1970 Kelloggs and 1973 Kelloggs."

There are some pre-war sets from the 30's you could start and complete for that too.

If you don't already have ONE card in mind, I doubt spending it all on one card will be very satisfying for you.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Gobucsmagic74

A 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson in SGC 60/PSA 5. Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381017978917...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 12-02-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added ebay link
Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
A 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson in SGC 60/PSA 5. Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381017978917...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
nice.
I see that I have much more work to do!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Hell, not one of you congratulated the man on winning a NASCAR league championship. I did not have Harvick to win it all, awesome pick!
Our NASCAR league has some interesting rules. The top 25 drivers from the previous year are divided into 5 groups. You pick one from each group and receive their points earned this year. I started with Johnson, Gordon, Logano, Menard and Almirola. You can change each driver once. I ended up with Kenseth, Keselowski, Logano, Vickers and Almirola. I finished one point ahead of the second place team.
Can't wait until next February!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Lmao! Then from what your saying id say a nice t3 is something you should look into!

��
I had looked at some T3's earlier this year but thought they'd be out of my price range.
I'll have another look.
Thanks