NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default ebay feedback system and BBB

Posted By: david 

as brought up by jay in another post the ebay feedback system is in need of serious repair. the fact that ebay refuses to regulate how feedback is left is a joke. i have had negative feedback left by bidders who refused to pay for an auction that ebay issued me a credit for! The reason that ebay no dobut has a good rating with the BBB is that as an auction house they have insulated themselves from the actual transaction. if someone complains their standard response is that they are the middle man and not responsible for bad deals. ebay has become so rampant with fraud that it is almost not worth the time anymore.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I bash eBay as much as anyone else, but think it's definitely worth the time. I think the majority of people on eBay, as with the rest of the world, are honest and try hard. I think eBay should make some minor adjustments (I think if you were credited, the negative should be removed, for example), and I also thing potential bidders should take more (if only minor) care in how and where they bid. The scammers, who are few but like sore thumbs, try and take advantage of the gullible, lazy ('I've never heard of PRO, but I'll just assume they're good') or plain dumb. If the beginning bidder did even a small amount of homework before bidding ('Have you ever heard of PRO? Do you know if they are reputable?,' 'I'm not familiar with this card, does this auction look okay to you?'), he or she would automatically rise themselves above the just mentioned gullible, lazy and plain dumb or are taken by these scams.

Realize that most forgers, counterfeiters and scammers aren't trying to fool Sotheby's or Bill Mastro-- they're trying to turn a quick buck on the gullible, lazy and plain dumb.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

At least as far as fakes go, the bidder's knowledge is his responsibility and no one else's (I've said it before, and I'll say it again). It is a common malady for collectors who are duped to blame their ignorace on others, but, as Ross Peirot would say, "That dog won't hunt."

Old 07-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I find ebay to be very worthwhile notwithstanding the crappy feedback situation. I can count one one hand the number of truly sour transactions I have had with ebay sellers and bidders.

Of paramount importance is knowing what you are buying and doing a little research on the items first if something unknown to you comes up. Ask questions and run if the answers are not satisfactory. For example, a couple of years ago I saw an uncatalogued PC of Joe Jackson for sale by a seller who obviously did not know that the item had significant value (it had started at a low minimum bid with no reserve). I satisfied myself through independent research and asking questions that the item was genuine and I bid very well on it. I didn't win, but that's not the point. When I first saw PRO cards, I tried to find their web site--when I couldn't even find it, I decided that the service had to be crappy. I then learned of all of the scandals.

Once the auction itself satisfies me, I take additional basic steps to protect myself. For example, I simply do not buy items that are very expensive unless I can use a credit card or Paypal to pay for it. Ability to accept a credit card usually ensures that the seller has a business, and using it or Paypal provides me with the opportunity to dispute the bill if I don't get the item or am cheated on it. I also always, always pay for insurance on bigger ticket items. Nevermind the protection against shipping damage, insurance guarantees that the seller generates a record of the shipment with the USPS. Meaning that if I send money and don't get the item, I can demand the insurance slip and if they cannot produce it, I will win my credit card dispute over the item since they have no proof of shipment.

Where I do fault ebay is in not cleaning up the listings when repeat abusers are involved (Roy Huff, for example). The cut out crap infesting the pre 1930's listings now are not cards and should be moved to the memorabilia section.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BCD

TOPICS-E-BAY POLICIES-FEEDBACK-FEEDBACK EXTORTION****

WRITE IT UP AND THEY WILL REMOVE IT AND KICK THE JERKS ASS OFF!