NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Default eBay global shipping program

All USA sellers please stop using this stupid program. All it does is add extra cost to non USA buyers that we would normally not be paying. You can still choose to use priority shipping if you want. I have not bid on some items just because of this program and iam not the only canadian who feels this way. Thank you
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Dave

I don't use it, but many sellers who do are those who wouldn't normally ship International and see it as a safer alternative for them, because it relieves them of much of the responsibility of shipping internationally.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Dave makes a good point.
I wonder what percentage of items you, and others like, don't bid on b/c of Ebay's program, you wouldn't have been able to bid on anyway b/c the seller would've designated US shipping only without the program.
I don't know the answer, but it would be interesting if we could find out. I don't know how to do it, but perhaps a poll for members here would be interesting.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Robert Williams

I agree as well. I don't ship internationally, but Ebay themselves have allowed people in other countries to bid on my items on their behalf. It relieves me of the responsibility of items getting "lost in transit", which happens more times than not in international shipments. This way, when the international package gets "lost in transit", the ball is 100% in EBays court. They process all refunds out of their own pocket. I will NOT sell Internationally - but if a buyer wants to let Ebay deal with the headache, then by all means, go right ahead!

The few Canadian bidders I have had, when I told them I would ship to them provided they paid with an International Money Order, well, to be frank, all I heard was crickets. International buyers want the PayPal protection of getting their packages but don't want to pay the high associated shipping costs that comes with online tracking that PayPal requires with thise shipments. Shipping internationally is a no win situation. I know it is tough, but hey, that's International Shipping.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-15-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: corrected mispellings
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Dan Bretta

I used to ship lots of postcards to Canada that would never get there for some reason...now that it costs 6.65 to ship a postcard with tracking I have almost no sales to Canada, and when I do they usually bitch about the high shipping costs even though it is plainly stated before they bid. Paypal's requirement for tracking has IMO caused even more fraud by buyers than before...they know that if it gets shipped without that number they can have their cake and eat it too.

It's not just Canadians or international buyers taking advantage of Paypal's system either...I shipped out about 120 packages in one day and the "new" mailman did not scan them in...out of those 120 packages I had to refund 4 buyers who claimed to not receive their items. Prior to that I don't think I'd had 4 lost packages in the mail in 5 years time.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:44 AM

I have to disagree with most of what the replays say. If you use priority post insured there will be no problems. There is no need to use this program, all it does is tack on extra costs and I am sure ebay gets a little piece of that pie. I have been buying an d selling since 1995 and have shipped thousands of parcels (vast majority uninsured) and I can count 1 hand how many have gone missing and usually it is because of a wrong address being placed on the package like switching numbers around by accident like writing 84 park place instead of 48 park place etc. also there is a huge difference shipping to Canada than say Italy. Shipping costs enough without adding extra cost.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I tried the GSP for one week. Three out of the four winners didn't pay for their items. End of experiment...
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I have to disagree with most of what the replays say. If you use priority post insured there will be no problems. There is no need to use this program, all it does is tack on extra costs and I am sure ebay gets a little piece of that pie. I have been buying an d selling since 1995 and have shipped thousands of parcels (vast majority uninsured) and I can count 1 hand how many have gone missing and usually it is because of a wrong address being placed on the package like switching numbers around by accident like writing 84 park place instead of 48 park place etc. also there is a huge difference shipping to Canada than say Italy. Shipping costs enough without adding extra cost.
I will agree with Ron. It's too bad so many folks in the U.S. have simply just given up on shipping outside their country.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Robert Williams

Well, the amount of fraud by international buyers sorta dictated that, don't you think?? And the amount of money Ebay charges, sellers get NONE of that. All the seller gets is the amount of shipping they originally charged. They aren't allowed to combined shipping. If I were a Canadian bidder, I would be frustrated too. You HAVE to realize though - international shipping IS NOT cheap! The Global Shipping Program is EBay's way of tapping into sellers who in no way, no how, will ship internationally. Buyer's balk at sellers charging $30+ to ship a vintage baseball card - I imagine they are REALLY gonna balk, because the Global Shipping Program actually does it the right way. THey charge customs fees, taxes, the whole nine yards. The way it is SUPPOSED to legally get done!! Then again, there is always that International Money Order, that I am more than happy to take!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

I've never experienced fraud shipping to Canada, but I've had items simply not get there. I have also had items take so long to get through customs that the customer turned me in for non-shipment. For me, the reduced angst of 'hassle-free' transactions outweighs the extra business I could get internationally.