NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM
pete ullman

Default While looking for baseball stuff...I found this...

Inevitably every estate sale, every antique store I go to...I obviously am looking for baseball and related stuff...but sadly I find it so infrequently.

That's not to say I don't find good stuff...just not usually bb related.

At a killer estate sale 5-7 yrs ago...I couldn't resist picking this cabinet photo...depicting 3 boys who were probably baseball players...nothing special until I turn it over. A cool family tree dating back to early 1700's...and for some reason I thought the pratt and skinner names could be someone famous.

What have y'all found while looking for baseball?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinetfr055.jpg (74.3 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg cabinetbk056.jpg (76.7 KB, 629 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Shawn England

Default The railway station plaza, Arras, France, February, 1919

Oh man Peter, Don't get me started on this thread

I picked this up not to long ago at an estate sale Cheap! 42" long World War original panoramic - The railway station plaza, Arras, France, February, 1919

Its amazing up close - all the rubble and damage to the buildings...

This one pictured is from the Library of Congress website. Mine is not in this good of condition... But mine does not have the fold lines... I have not taken the time to photograph it yet.

I cannot not find another original that has sold???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a35381r.jpg (76.5 KB, 583 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Matt Hall

I've been to a total of one estate sale. I happened to stumble upon it walking around my neighborhood back when I lived in Venice Beach. I went in because the person who lived there was obviously a hoarder and I felt like digging through garbage for some reason. I left caked in dust with a Limoges vase. I gave it to my mom.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)
Default Does this count

The signature of Barker Gummere Jr New Jersey Delegate for the 1900 Republican Convention, brother of William Gummere who invented the hook slide
Flea Market find .25 cents box
http://baseballhistoryblog.com/3195/...to-hook-slide/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1900 Deed 001.jpg (77.1 KB, 563 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Inevitably every estate sale, every antique store I go to...I obviously am looking for baseball and related stuff...but sadly I find it so infrequently.

That's not to say I don't find good stuff...just not usually bb related.

At a killer estate sale 5-7 yrs ago...I couldn't resist picking this cabinet photo...depicting 3 boys who were probably baseball players...nothing special until I turn it over. A cool family tree dating back to early 1700's...and for some reason I thought the pratt and skinner names could be someone famous.

What have y'all found while looking for baseball?!
Very nice! That would be priceless for a descendant. On Ancestry there are many researchers of both of those family lines. You might try to reunite it with one of them.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Clint

For a split second my heart skipped a beat when I seen this at an antique store. Then I realized they were just cyclists. Still pretty cool and Sanger was included in the Honest Long Cut cabinet series. The mount is 16x20 and the photo measures 13x15.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 075.jpg (63.7 KB, 536 views)

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 04-24-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Here's a cool photo of the Brooklyn Bridge at night that I bought in a Henry Yee auction full of great baseball photos. I just loved it. That's the Chrysler Building to the right. This is pre-Empire State building. I love the mood of it. Hard to believe Manhattan was so quiet once upon a time. Hardly any lights in those buildings.

Last edited by packs; 04-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
For a split second my heart skipped a beat when I seen this at an antique store. Then I realized they were just cyclists. Still pretty cool and Sanger was included in the Honest Long Cut cabinet series. The mount is 16x20 and the photo measures 13x15.
JUST cyclists? That is a great photo!!!

If you sell it on ebay and put 'gay int.' in the title, I'm giving you a virtual, through-the-computer beating
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
JUST cyclists? That is a great photo!!!

If you sell it on ebay and put 'gay int.' in the title, I'm giving you a virtual, through-the-computer beating
Thanks Scott. Yeah I don't think you will ever see it on ebay. I wonder if that term ever garnered more money for an item?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Doug

Default Genealogy and Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Very nice! That would be priceless for a descendant. On Ancestry there are many researchers of both of those family lines. You might try to reunite it with one of them.
Agreed - I've been amateur genealogist for 35 years. I am sure somebody is probably looking for this information.

I Started long before there was an internet. Takes 60 seconds now to do what used to take an all day expedition into the city.

Found my great uncles WWI service medals on Ebay awhile back.

Just like cards, this stuff is out there...

It is what it is...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Tom Boblitt

Great cyclist photo......Gotta be worth 200-300 minimally.....
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Great cyclist photo......Gotta be worth 200-300 minimally.....
At least. That's one of the best cycling photos I've seen. The only ones that come close were hanging on the wall in one of the areas better shops, and those were just large photos of individual racers. Big photos, but really ordinary poses and a bit faded.

Steve B
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

No scans yet, but yesterday I bought some old letters in an antique shop fo the stamps. Two of them are from the mayor of Charleston,SC to his brother. Both have great content, one is about the legal wrangling over his election, the other about a yellow fever outbreak and who left town in a hurry.

The rest are looking interesting too, one is a railroad circular from 1849 billing a stockholder $10 per share!

Neat stuff.

Steve B
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Eric Perry

Sorry for the relatively pedestrian nature of the items shown in my post; however, I enjoyed this pickup. I stumbled across 57 non-sport cards which were being offered as a lot…for almost nothing.

There was just something about cars driving through trees that caught my eye. While much smaller in size, they reminded me of Curt Teich postcards, so I picked them up.

Some have blank backs and others have descriptions on the reverse.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I was happy to find this Tuxedo Tobacco tin in an antique mall one day a few years ago. It's the same tin that is shown on the amazing ads for the Tuxedo Tobacco featuring players like Matty and Walter Johnson among others.

It's not in the best shape, but I thought it was pretty cool.

I've added the image of the Mathewson ad, but don't own that. I just have the tin.

Thanks,

AndyH

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Item_2748_2.jpg (50.6 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg Tuxedo2.JPG (27.4 KB, 248 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Here's a cool photo of the Brooklyn Bridge at night that I bought in a Henry Yee auction full of great baseball photos. I just loved it. That's the Chrysler Building to the right. This is pre-Empire State building. I love the mood of it. Hard to believe Manhattan was so quiet once upon a time. Hardly any lights in those buildings.

That is a very cool pic of NY.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Shawn England

Default Macon Family, Mount Prospect Virginia 1690 - 1850

Hey Peter,

Here is something very similar to your original post... I found this at an estate as well - first time I have ever shown it to anyone... I have not even started any research on it yet.

Its a family tree as well. I will let the author explain exactly what it is...

This is the first paragraph:

The exact copy of the Macon family register taken from the old family Bible now one hundred and fifty years in the family January 30th 1852 fifty two taken from the copy sent by Mrs Lucy Conway of orange? Daughter of Thomas Macon son of Col Wm Hartwell Macon who died at Mount Prospect New Kent Co. Virginia August 1843
Peyton Johnston Sr. (1852)

So this was copied (by Peyton Johnston Sr.) from a 150 year old bible in 1852! Its amazing to be reading about people being born in 1692 etc.!

Details:

Two pages 16.5" x 10.5"
Written on front & back - numbered 1-7

Here is one more extract that I thought was very endearing:

After more than twenty years very bad health, particularly the last two which was after attended with extreme pain Died my dear wife on Wednesday Morning at 1/4 past 3 oC Dec. 6th 1802. She was sixty five years old the 1st day of June last. We lived together 49 years and one Month.
W Macon
Dec. 14 1802
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one (861x1024).jpg (73.3 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg full P (1024x691).jpg (71.2 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg whole (800x1024).jpg (64.7 KB, 197 views)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

At a miscellaneous paper collectibles show:

Byers, Chester

1892-1945

1969 HOF

1916 Trick Roping Champion

Canutt, Yakima

1895-1986

1975 HOF

1917, 1919-1920 & 1923 World All-Around Champion

Kirnan, Tommy

1893-1937

1977 HOF

Rodeo Trick Rider; Rodeo Trick Roper

Strickland, Hugh

1888-1941

1968 HOF

Saddle Bronc Rider

All of the above fellows were inducted into the Rodeo Hall of Fame of the National Cowboy Museum. Johnny Judd was a trick roper. Brian Roach was the winner of the 1919 Calgary Stampede bronc riding competition. Yakima Canutt is also considered the godfather of movie stuntmen who created many of the iconic movie stunts, like going in front of a stage coach and bringing 'runaway' horse teams to a stop.

1968-69 Minnesota Pipers [ABA] team issued set with pre-rookie Connie Hawkins

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-25-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM
pete ullman

great stuff guys...love the early nyc pic...and the genealogical stuff is way cool!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM
pariah1107

Saw this item and hoped it was related to Toppenish semi-pro baseball. It is not. Some tourist nick-knack but found it interesting enough to buy. This lead to the purchase of a few Toppenish Pow Wow & Rodeo programs, and now a growing curiosity with the event. Heading to my first Toppenish Rodeo this year. Great Rodeo items exhibitman!

[/IMG][/URL]"][/URL][/URL]
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

Someone sold this poor guy the Brooklyn Bridge!