NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Insurance coverage would only protect Taube. Either way, unless his customer agreed in writing that he (Taube) is not responsible for theft or loss of items, I would imagine that Taube is on the hook.
I was talking about Taube's insurance, I am not sure Taube is covered by his own insurance if he did not take reasonable care. That's all I was saying.

A lot of ins. co's that deal with collectibles or high value objects have riders on the policies that state how you must store them. If not, it goes to a judge to determine if reasonable care was taken commensurate with the object in question. Since Taube could presumably have up to a 1 million dollar bat in his possession, I would think it would have to be locked up when not in his hands to be covered.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-11-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Any update on this situation/bat? Hope all turns out well!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Michael:

Thanks for your interest.

The bat has not yet surfaced. The police investigation continues.

Scott
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Just seeing this thread now. Very sorry your bat was stolen, Scott.

I just wanted to jump in here and say that John Taube is one of the most honest people in this hobby, super knowledgable and a real gentleman.

Hope it surfaces.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Mel Ott Bat Returned

Dear Fellow Collectors:

First, thanks to all of you that contacted me or otherwise expressed your concern and empathy over the past year after my Mel Ott bat was stolen at last year's National.

I have some great news - the bat was recently returned! Needless to say, I am thrilled. Primarily to have the bat back, of course, but I am also thankful for the outpouring of support from fellow collectors and also that whomever was involved in taking it apparently had a change of heart and did the right thing in the end by returning it. I believe that the awareness generated by this forum and via other means may have played a role in its return.

It seems that these things rarely have a happy ending, but this one does. Thanks to you all (and particularly to Al for encouraging me to share the good news).

Scott
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

That's awesome Scott! I'm sure you are delighted and rightfully so! Congrats!!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Scott great news. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforaker View Post
Dear Fellow Collectors:

First, thanks to all of you that contacted me or otherwise expressed your concern and empathy over the past year after my Mel Ott bat was stolen at last year's National.

I have some great news - the bat was recently returned! Needless to say, I am thrilled. Primarily to have the bat back, of course, but I am also thankful for the outpouring of support from fellow collectors and also that whomever was involved in taking it apparently had a change of heart and did the right thing in the end by returning it. I believe that the awareness generated by this forum and via other means may have played a role in its return.

It seems that these things rarely have a happy ending, but this one does. Thanks to you all (and particularly to Al for encouraging me to share the good news).

Scott
Great news! Congrats on getting the bat back...the hobby for bats of that stature is so small I'm assuming this guy figured out that there was no way he was going to be able sell it.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM

That's amazing -- congratulations!

Greg
Old 08-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Matt

Thats great. Congrats on getting it back.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Awesome!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Al

Default Ott is back!

Quote:
Dear Fellow Collectors:

Scott
Scott,
Im so glad everything worked out for you! It was getting hard for me to keep this secret when we talked a few months ago, but Im so glad you came back on the board to deliver that great news! Now dont let it out of your sight my friend!! Best of luck always! Al

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, Al, and to others offering their congrats. Al, took awhile to tie up all the loose ends (insurance, FBI, J.T., etc). Got a nice message from Jim today, which reminded me that it was time to share the good news. Now the bat is never leaving my sight.

Scott
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 PM
N@te

That's good to hear. I'm guessing it was in the same condition?

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Jeff

Default Ott Bat

That is great news!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Yes, Nate, it was returned in same condition.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Al

Default ott is back

Quote:
Thanks, Al, and to others offering their congrats. Al, took awhile to tie up all the loose ends (insurance, FBI, J.T., etc). Got a nice message from Jim today, which reminded me that it was time to share the good news. Now the bat is never leaving my sight.

Scott
Scott,
Boy it must have been a great feeling to get back something that most of us thought would be gone for a long time. It probably was a good thing that the item was such a high end piece that it would have been almost impossible to send to an auction house without throwing up a red flag. I did end up talking to alot of the auction houses that I have dealt with just in the attempt to tell them what had occured. I figured it couldnt hurt. Im so glad my friend that it worked out so well in the end.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 08-07-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Any info you would care to share about where it has been and how it was returned?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Great news Scott!!!! Congrats!!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM

Dave:

It was returned anonymously. I am grateful that whomever took it did the right thing in the end by returning it.

Scott
Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Jake

I am elated.

May it never leave your sight again.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Great news! Congrats on getting the bat back...the hobby for bats of that stature is so small I'm assuming this guy figured out that there was no way he was going to be able sell it.
Many years ago I owned a sweet shop/gift shop.
One night I had a break in and the only thing stolen was my t-shirt imprinting machine.
It was never recovered but the police did tell me that it was probably stolen to order. There are criminal rings that get orders to steal a certain thing and then they go and do it.
Though this is not my side of the board I thought, when first reading this thread, that could have been what happened with the Ott bat.
Obviously that was not the case.
Great news that the owner got it back.
Sometimes the good guys win out in the end.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Many years ago I owned a sweet shop/gift shop.
One night I had a break in and the only thing stolen was my t-shirt imprinting machine.
It was never recovered but the police did tell me that it was probably stolen to order. There are criminal rings that get orders to steal a certain thing and then they go and do it.
Though this is not my side of the board I thought, when first reading this thread, that could have been what happened with the Ott bat.
Obviously that was not the case.
Great news that the owner got it back.
Sometimes the good guys win out in the end.
Like everyone else, I am very pleased at the return of the bat. It's hard to imagine the perverse pleasure someone would take in owning a hot bat. You couldn't show it to anyone, and if anyone who knew a little about bats were to find it in your possession, then you'd be in trouble. Maybe there's a type of person who enjoys gazing at the property that he's stolen... but it's good that whoever took the bat is not one of that type.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
N@te

I'm glad that it wasn't damaged in the process as well. The thief, knowing that he had more on the plate then he could chew, didn't cut it up or burn it to say the hell with it.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl