NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: Max Weder

I picked up this oddball broadside, a 1933 game between Vancouver and Guaymas, Mexico. Vancouver didn't have a pro team in 1933, and the amateurs' names aren't familiar to me from the Senior League in the city.

I don't know if we've had a thread lately of other people's broadsides: I suspect there are a number of interesting ones people have, so please post.

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: Dan Bretta

1932 Handbill from Girardville, PA

Photobucket

Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: Clint

These braodsides are all from Kansas except somehow one from Iowa ended up in the pile.

Clint
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: John E

brewersbillboard2.jpg

Old 01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: Dennis O\\\\\\\'Brien

I thought I'd put up a sampling of misc. examples. There are 5 from the collection of George Thompson,a founding member of the Northwest Umpires Association, that was sold in the late 1970's by his son`. The collection was large and seemed to include an example of each contest the Association Umpired. I suggest that the item from Mankato, Minn. that Clint posted came from that collection or was otherwise saved by a fan. Broadsides are fun to collect but usually reside in the closet. Only so much room on the walls. I keep 4 House of David and 3 Negro Leauge items out of UV reach in that closet. Here is a link to George Thompson's grandson's site. http://www.minnesotabaseball.org/

[linked image] [linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 01-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: Matt Hart

Here's one of mine. Sorry for the poor pictures.
Matt

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: chris

this was an "in season" exhibition game in 1903. a common practice in those days...

Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

I saw this thread on broadsides a while back but was working on other stuff....Broadsides are one of my favorite areas of collecting. When I first started 20+ years ago I was always looking for them, and they are tough....at first they didnt have to be from a big name team...but today I mainly look for those with recognizable teams, schools, individuals, etc. The classic size for a broadside is 14 x 22, but of course they come in all sizes...but I generally like them 14x22 or bigger...of course it all depends.

As many of you know broadsides come printed on cardstock or paper. And of course all veteran collectors know about the fakes that abound. I actually like a little wear and tear on them...but Ive seen the fakes with induced fatigue so you have to look very carefully before buying nowadays.

Those of you who know me know I like all athletic sports.so I could go for pretty much any athletic sports broadsides. Ill never forget a 19th century lacrosse broadside I saw at a book show once in San Francisco about 10 years agodealer had bought it there at the show for himself and wouldnt sell it (you know the type LOL)...this was before digital cameras and I didnt get a photo...but it was at least 14x22 and classic...

And theres the term broadside...I think it would take a lot of work to trace the origin of the term...I suppose its English in origin (Ive read them referred to as broadsheets)...I recall reading how in the 19th century towns in Europe had to inact laws to prevent the posting of broadsides because they were over run with themAs I understand it professional posters would go around plastering them wherever they could find an open spot on walls and fences and where ever...were talking about paper broadsides hereas I understand, posters would dip a paper broadside in some kind of adherent solution that would make them stick to a wall or such. This is exciting to me because its really the nuts and bolts process of advertising and commerce.

So whats the difference between a poster and a broadside? Well, I can give you my interpretation that satisfies me. Which is based on 20+ years of observing them.

A broadside is a poster, they are one in the same. However a broadside is the earliest form of poster, in that these early broadside style posters relied mostly on text as opposed to graphics, to relate their message. A classic example of a broadside would be a Wanted Dead or Alive Billy the Kid wanted poster. That kind would have elongated lettering, or fonts if you want to call them that...then as time passed edging up toward c1900...printing techniques improved and the illustrated poster became popular. Im speaking in general terms...they still made broadside style posters for many years into the 20th century. However, generally speaking the illustrated poster replaced the broadside over a 40-50 year period of about 1880-1930.

Today in the hobby the term broadside is regularly used to describe any sports event posters, i.e. any poster that announces an athletic event to take place. When you see the term used within the hobby it usually means it's a game poster.

And so for the sports broadside....For me, tickets and programs are nice, but theres nothing like the broadside. I generally like east coast broadsides, however Ive acquired a few interesting west coast ones I post below.

The one for the Final Rally is one I picked up at an antiquarian book show in California for $75 many moons ago...It measures only 8 ½ tall x 6 wide, printed on paper but still bound to album page...small but the content was too compelling to pass up...the Every College Man Must Come was just too campy. Im fairly sure its for the upcoming big football game between Cal and Stanford because of the reference to "the tackling bag"...its an interesting one from the standpoint that it was used only one day...as it says:

Final Rally
to burn the
Stanford Dummy
The Tackling bag
Tonight on the
Cinder Path at 8:00PM

Notice it says tonight, clearly implying it was posted and used only that one day. Note the little square artistic doodads are done in an art nouveau style betraying its era.

The football one for the Championship of Coast is another interesting one. It measures 22 1/2 wide by 14 tall, printed on cardstock, and was between high schools in San Francisco and Seattle...and its dated Nov. 17 1906...rare to have the date like that...the 1906 San Francisco earthquake took place April 18th 1906...so the game took place almost 7 months to the day after the earthquake...I guess the kids rode the train up to Seattle...cool football player with the nose guard.

The last one is a pretty early college one for Cornell vs. the Delawares of Port Jervis..15 ¼ tall by 9 ¾ wide...printed on paper...I have it shrunk wrapped to gator board (commercial grade foam board)....someone wrote in 1877 which I assume is reliable...I got it from Mark Rucker about 17 years ago...I remember haggling with him over the price and he goes...yeah that eagle...I havent shown that to the ephemera people yetof course that did it, I made the deal right there! PS, anyone with 19th century college broadsides please email me. Thanks -Carlton
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: chris

Check this one out.

[linked image]

Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default Broadsides

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Chris, Man that is a great one....what's the dimensions? did you frame it? Whats the full story on it? At first glance I thought it was a railroad excursion one, but no it seems to be team issued, very rare!