NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Graded Card Investor & Price Guide 2007

Beckett put out the Graded Investor & Price Guide starting with this issue, Summer 2007. It only lasted a few years if I recall. I never thought it got its just dues as it was pretty good and close on pricing. Because it was asked about in another thread this is probably a better place to post a few pages.

Last edited by Leon; 01-07-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Jimmy

I bought a few of these and used them, it was a good source at the time

Thanks Jimmy
Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I'm not a tpg investor, but I thought the price guide was excellent. It was nice to have a consolidated checklist for multi sports and series.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:09 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Leon, I really enjoyed these as well. Still have issue no. 1 and issue no. 2.

Here are other price guides I religiously looked for at my local Barnes & Noble.

Last edited by DeanH3; 01-07-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Mac Wubben

At 10+ years old, I think these guides are still better than some current guides out there. I still carry a copy around to shows. Obviously some prices have moved on...some current guides are just good for laughs.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:54 AM
Mike C@.v3

Thanks for posting this...I subscribed to the Beckett investor years ago and loved it. Just a great overall price reference along with some good additional info...I miss the investor
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-08-2018, 06:22 AM
Tony

cool to see; thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 AM
C@rl P@rk

Very cool. So what is the 521 card T206 set? I always thought it was 520 excluding the four horsemen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 10:18 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Miss these

I have a few thx for posting Leon miss them.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Very cool. So what is the 521 card T206 set? I always thought it was 520 excluding the four horsemen.

Beckett has their own "Monster Number".
Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I have the 2013 3rd Edition Graded Card Price Guide
And the T206 Monster is at 527
SHows a Honus Wagner PrFr1 @ 400K
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 01-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Beckett has their own "Monster Number".
Don't get your hopes up. The original "Monster Number" was endorsed by Mr. Heitman, when I agreed to give him a percentage of the proceeds to avoid copyright infringement litigation.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM
C@rl P@rk

Interesting. Does anyone know offhand what the other three cards are in the 527 quote? Like the Murr'y variation, etc?

Old 10-07-2018, 04:04 PM

I was doing a Google search on the magazine, and lo and behold, this memory thread popped up.

Whilst I was not a subscriber, nor user, being "out of the game", in early 2010 I happened upon then-current issue number 15, where its editor, Chris Olds, invited readers to answer one of THE questions us card collectors relish discussing: "THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE JUST ONE", an intriguing query regarding what would be your dream card?"

Not having internet service back then, I composed my answer at the local public library. I was in the process of writing my book on immediate post-war regional-food issues, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. If you suffer from infantile attention span, or your card collecting tastes never advanced beyond grade school rookie card mania, please don't bother buying it; it would not be right for you.

Anyway, I happened to own my dream card, one of the subjects in my book. I wrote from memory a rather long, loving tribute to this card. I would have liked to have edited it, but one doesn't always get that privilege.
I got an email back from Chris Olds within a day or two, asking for a scan. With the assistance of my son and the librarian, we sent Chris a scan of my dream card, which I have been extremely privileged to have owned for 30 years.

Imagine my surprise two months later whilst prowling Borders Books and Music---there was my card on the cover of the current Beckett Graded Card Investor & Price Guide (issue #17, May-June, 2010! It was by no means the only card on the cover, natch. Still, I was quite pleased. For some reason, Chris printed my entire email.

Funny--kinda, sorta; thereafter, I never saw another issue released.

I will see if my son can help me scan in the cover of the issue, to load it up on here. Quite an extraordinary occurrence, this. Then too, that's one extraordinary card. Chris entitled it, "ONE MAN'S MANTLE MASTERPIECE".

Spot on. I would not trade my Mantle for any other Mantle on planet Earth. I would say something outrageous and controversial, but on quick reflection, I believe I just did.

Neither here, nor there.

Regardless, I miss this magazine, though I only saw a few issues. Seems most relevant, then and now.

Kind regards to all. --- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-07-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Beckett Vintage magazine is still around or at least a form of it is. It's too bad the company can't market very well or there would be more talk about it. They have done a huge disservice to vintage cards over the years, imo. The new ownership has done well in other areas but has never given much time to our area of interest.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Beckett Vintage magazine is still around or at least a form of it is. It's too bad the company can't market very well or there would be more talk about it. They have done a huge disservice to vintage cards over the years, imo. The new ownership has done well in other areas but has never given much time to our area of interest.
Leon, that's truly a shame. A good balance and mix is vital, to appeal to the spectrum of readership. I realize the content of my post was strictly referring to a post-war gem, but the original thread was pre-war. I don't know how to move a thread to post-war, so I'm afraid my own recollection of the Beckett magazine is highly irrelevant around these parts. If you can move it to post-war, I'd be much obliged.

Kind regards, Brian Powell
Old 10-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Leon, that's truly a shame. A good balance and mix is vital, to appeal to the spectrum of readership. I realize the content of my post was strictly referring to a post-war gem, but the original thread was pre-war. I don't know how to move a thread to post-war, so I'm afraid my own recollection of the Beckett magazine is highly irrelevant around these parts. If you can move it to post-war, I'd be much obliged.

Kind regards, Brian Powell
I don't think an individual post can be moved only a thread. I guess it could be merged somehow but your post is fine. This isn't earth shattering stuff.