NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Say you had a time machine...

Based on a mention in another thread, I started reading "Inside T206 - A Collector’s Guide to the Classic Baseball Card Set" by Scot A. Reader, and I love it!!!!

So...say you had a time machine and you could only go back to 1909 (and, of course, return on the current date). You'd research the exact clothing you would need in order to fit in and you would stock up on as much pre-1909 currency and coins as you could hold, etc., etc. Where in the country would you go and what exact date would you travel back to?

The reasoning is this. Geographically speaking, where was the Honus Wagner found? Was it released all over the country or only in some markets? I know ads featuring a picture of said card were run almost into the fall, but had the supplies of that card dried up much earlier in the year? When exactly did the T-206 cards start appearing in cigarette packs? The frenzy of young boys gobbling them all up could very well become a hindrance to a time traveler's efforts to stockpile them, so what timeframe would we be looking at? Early summer? Late spring?

I'm obviously concentrating solely on the Wagner card here, but if you were looking for Cobb and others, where and when would you set the time machine for??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:04 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If your intent to go to the past is to bring T206s to the present, that means in the present you will then have a plethora of T206 which means you will have no incentive to go back into the past to get T206s. Going into the past changes the future (the present) and the change in the future (the present) removes the reason and desire to go into the past.

Ah, the paradoxes of time travel. Your better bet is alchemy.

Last edited by drcy; 07-29-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM

Wouldn't you also need to stockpile the cards somewhere safe so that they would age the appropriate amount of time (albeit in perfect conditions)

It would be weird having a pristine card from 1909 in which the paper shows aging in terms of days vs a century. I would think you would also need to find a place to keep it safe for the 107 years. Like a safe deposit box and just travel to each year to pay the renewal fee at a bank you know continues to stand.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Al Richter

Default finding Wagner

If you could not find a Wagner maybe you could bring back some shares or an investment in Coca Cola as a back up plan
Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Instead of going back to 1909 I would think one would travel back to say....1934 and take out advertisements in all the local news papers offering to buy old sports cards. There would no doubt be a line around the block selling you cards because this practice was virtually unheard of back then and the cards you purchase would already be "aged". Since the cards would show signs f handling one could come back to the future and sell those cards at a substantial profit without raising suspicions.

Going back to 1934 would not necessarily net you a Wagner unless someone lumped it into the group they were selling you but you certainly would get thousands of T-206's and you could also write Goudey and tell them how pissed you are that you did not get a Lajoie in your 1933 set. Imagine what a pristine Nap would net you in this day and age?
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Or you could just go back to 1960 and offer to take the warehouse full of '52 Topps high number cases that Berger and Gelman had to charter a barge to dispose of.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ped-into-ocean
Old 07-29-2016, 10:48 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

I'm bringing back Honus himself and will ask him what the real story is about that ^&$#@ card!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Bob Donaldson

I'd to Oak Square in Brighton (Boston) MA in 1933. Buy up a ton of 33 Goudeys, then walk up the street to see my Dad (7 years old) and Uncle (9 years old, died in 1943). That'd be cool. I could tell them to hide the cards in the attic of their house. I cleaned that attic out in about 1991 :-)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:48 PM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

I would start chain smoking uzits and drums.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
T206 back run: 21/38
Old 07-29-2016, 01:13 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

To prepare for the trip, gather a bunch of vintage money, identify the print shop where T206s were made, and then find a local cemetery that, as of today, has remained undisturbed since 1900. In fact, find a specific grave that looks undisturbed and unmaintained.

Go to the printing shop where they made T206s, give the printer an insane amount of money (maybe $50) to run off some Wagners, Planks, Doyles, and Magies for you, and, for fun, see if he can do one of the Wagners with a green background. If you really want to get clever, see if you can get a Mathewson white cap with the name mis-spelled.

If you have time, see if you can get some of the cards autographed, like Plank or Matty.

Add to that a bunch of commons, some printed ads for T206, find out the stories behind Wagner and Plank, and so on.

Seal them in a stone box with metal lining and bury them at night, a few feet below ground, but above the casket, of that grave you've identified.

Return to present day, dig up the box, and very slowly, very carefully, start leaking these treasures into the marketplace. Don't ever reveal the entire story because once you're certified insane, they might take your cards away from you...
Old 07-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Jeff Lar.son

Or just go back to 1986 and buy up unopened Fleer basketball. Then you don't have to worry about aging, the supply, or your hoard drastically affecting the value of the market as a whole...or just wait for the powerball this weekend and go back a day.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Um…did every single person just skip over the part where I said "you could only go back to 1909"???????????? Ha ha. Come on, people!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
...or just wait for the powerball this weekend and go back a day.
Now that simplifies things.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I would go back to 1909 I guess New York look for a good baseball game . I would then find my way to the factory and ask a employ at the factory if or when wagners were printed.
Then jump to a day before or so of that date . Find a factory worker and tell him
to sneak me out as many as he can and I'll give him a months pay ! I would then protect them in a book or something. Then I would find a bank that I know still exist and buy a safety deposit box. Come back to currents with the existence
Of these card not being known to anyone and start to slowly sell them.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:47 PM

Required to show: Time travel is impossible.

Proof: If it was possible, someone would have gone back to 1909 and snag a pile of Wagners already. But no one has. So time travel is impossible.

QED

UNLESS! Maybe that's where the Cobb/Cobb find is from!!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Required to show: Time travel is impossible.

Proof: If it was possible, someone would have gone back to 1909 and snag a pile of Wagners already. But no one has. So time travel is impossible.

QED

UNLESS! Maybe that's where the Cobb/Cobb find is from!!

PROBLEM WITH YOUR CONCLUSION:

We wouldn't know time travel existed until someone built a time machine. There would have to be a machine to send and a machine to return. So until the send machine is built nobody can go back, and they may create an alternate timeline that isn't the same as this one. (as they would no longer be occupying the same space at the same time, thus the actions their might not be felt in our future at all, but only in their's) Not to mention many scientists think that we could only go back as far in time as the first time machine was built

I could go on and on but eventually it just makes your head hurt! lol

Last edited by bravos4evr; 07-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Nick Barnes

But, to the topic at hand, I think one could do quite well on T206 cards sitting at the saloon and asking for the cards from other patrons. (another thing would be to make a deal with the cigarette girls in town to give you all the cards for a fee)

then like everyone said, find a bank that's still in business, put them in a safety deposit box and then pre-pay for 100 years
Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Jason Wells

I could stay in the same place I am now and be two blocks from the ATC Warehouse in Richmond. Wouldnt that be the ultimate dumpster dive. I would have to stay though 1910 though to get a autograph on my pack fresh T210 Dutch Revelle and other Colts.

Last edited by Jason; 07-29-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 PM

For me the cards would only be part of it, imagine how easy it would be easy to get Cobb, Wagner, Young, etc to get to sign the cards
Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I could stay in the same place I am now and be two blocks from the ATC Warehouse in Richmond. Wouldnt that be the ultimate dumpster dive. I would have to stay though 1910 though to get a autograph on my pack fresh T210 Dutch Revelle and other Colts.
Jason, when you feel like taking a break from your ATC dumpster diving in late 1909 and/or early 1910, you might want to pay a visit to Arthur W. Havens business establishment (confectioneries, pickles, canned fruits, & tobacco products) located at 1913 East Broad St. and/or his printer, Fulton Press, located nearby (this might entail further dumpster diving) to pick up a few handfulls of E222 cards, including Revelle and other Colts.
Best,
Val

Last edited by ValKehl; 07-29-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 PM

Make sure you take back with you the correct currency.
You'd feel like a complete fool if the Treasury Dept. was alerted.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:10 AM

My biggest fear with time travel is finding out that you travel time only and when you get to 1909, the Earth is on the other side of the sun because you didn't go back to the exact date you left. Basically I'm just floating in 1909 space because I left in July and wanted to go back to December.

Basically it's like that commercial that says something like "If you could build a stairway to the moon..." I'm guessing you could only go to the moon when it lines up with the end of the stairway.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
My biggest fear with time travel is finding out that you travel time only and when you get to 1909, the Earth is on the other side of the sun because you didn't go back to the exact date you left. Basically I'm just floating in 1909 space because I left in July and wanted to go back to December.

Basically it's like that commercial that says something like "If you could build a stairway to the moon..." I'm guessing you could only go to the moon when it lines up with the end of the stairway.

Thanks, I had the machine just about ready, now I have to go and redesign the whole dang thing.....

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 07-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Once your preferred method of time travel is squared away I'd say the Northeast is likely where you want to be. My father discovered three Wagners between 1972 and 1974. Here are the cities in which he found them:

1972: Mahopac, NY
1973: Floral Park, NY
1974: Rutland, VT

Last edited by TCMA; 07-30-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
Once your preferred method of time travel is squared away I'd say the Northeast is likely where you want to be. My father discovered three Wagners between 1972 and 1974. Here are the cities in which he found them:

1972: Mahopac, NY
1973: Floral Park, NY
1974: Rutland, VT
I was born in Rutland VT, lived there 2/3 of my life and was 12 years old in 1974.
But...the Wags wasn't mine

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I was born in Rutland VT, lived there 2/3 of my life and was 12 years old in 1974.
But...the Wags wasn't mine
Wow, small world! The one that was found in Rutland is the Jumbo Wagner .