NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting HOFers on a budget

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Baseball cards cost too much money. So, in order for the average guy to view an assembly of cards as a hobby, he has to minimize his cost. One of the more popular ways to achieve this is to accept cards which are more worn than most people want, or are otherwise damaged. Alternatives include using the hobby to profit from buying and selling in order to finance acquisitions for your collection.

A third approach is to expand the range of cards which are found to be acceptable for your collection. This third approach is the thrust of my argument today.

Specifically, most collectors prefer cards which were issued during the playing days of the player shown on the card, and this preference then eliminates commemorative cards issued after a player’s career has ended, from inclusion in those collections.

However, this requirement does not apply if the player continues as an active participant in baseball. For example, very few individuals would exclude cards issued during the 1900s of John McGraw, Connie Mack, Wilbert Robinson, Hughie Jennings, and others. The same will apply to Charlie Comiskey, Casey Stengel, Yogi Berra and many others whose baseball careers did not end when they hung up their spikes.

That those individuals cited were successful well beyond their playing days is incidental, and not a requirement for the inclusion of their active, but not playing cards as a legitimate addition to ones collection. It does not matter whether a player’s management, coaching or other active baseball career beyond his playing days was or was not successful. It suffices that his cards represent an active baseball career.

There are no asterisks, no caveats, no excuses, no tentativeness. The rule is what is good for McGraw and Mack, is good for everybody.

And here are some of the “everybodies”, all HOFers: Heinie Manush, Earle Combs, Billy Herman = 1954 Topps. I believe that 1972 Topps will offer you Ted Williams, Manager of the Rangers and several other HOFers which you can get in real nice shape for relatively chicken feed. There are Frankie Frisch Bowmans from the early 50s, and there is certain to be Billy Martins, Gil Hodges, Frank Robinson and many other affordable cards issued during these HOFers careers. Ooops – maybe Martin and Hodges aren’t actually in the Hall, but old times such as Bucky Harris, Boudreau, Al Lopez, Durocher, etc. as well as more recent managers including Schoendinst and Bob Lemon are certainly HOFers who are typically available on their respective Bowman or Topps Mgr. cards often for less than $10 in ex.

This option could offset some of the costs which you can not escape, even by compromising card condition for some players.

And how about minor league cards? Many went on to continue their playing careers in the minors, and to manage or coach there. Zeenuts, Obak and others may have a wealth of HOFers.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Nice post Gilbert. Good to se esome thought in a post for other collectors. As a matter of fact good to see a positive post about cards period.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I like your ideas, Gilbert ... I too collect cards on a budget that's smaller than what I'd like to own. Fortunately, I don't find this a hindrance at all. If anything, it forces me to focus my collection and appreciate the fact that more isn't always better, which I have, for the most part, learned to do.

Here are my personal guidelines for keeping my budget in line:

1) Limit myself to one card per player ... I sometimes get carried away and seek out multiple cards of my favorite players, like Roy Campanella, Pepper Martin or Enos Slaughter, but for the most part I live by thsi rule ...

2) Seek out cards with pin holes, glue stains,tape stains, writing on the back, even cards that are trimmed. I love finding what I call a "perfectly-flawed" card ... I do searches on eBay for PSA 1's ... it's amazing what you can find! ...

3) Disregard the opinions of the Hall of Fame voters, which I personally believe are a bunch of clowns (get it together you guys and put Minnie Minoso in Cooperstown!) ... just because Frankie Frisch (and I'm a big Frisch fan!) voted in all his buddies (Fred Lindstrom, Dave Bancroft, Jesse Haines, Ross Young, Highpockets Kelly), it doesn't mean I need a card of each of them ...

4) And buy Exhibit cards and Batter-ups (especially without the tops!) whenever possible ...

My goal is to keep my collection small but interesting ...