NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default Lou Gertenrich set

Posted By: Dave F

I appreicate the kind words from everyone on the new addition to our family. The other three kids in the clan all have blond/blue combos..so nice to get one with my coloring. happy.gif

Anyway..back to cards. I picked this Lou Gertenrich up the other night. I really like the backs of the issue. Would love to see scans of other board members cards of this set as well as any info anyone may have on the set itself. Where would these rank compared to the Witmor Candy cards? Seen a little less often?

[linked image]

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Gertenrich's are more common than the most common horizontal backed Witmor's (but not by too much), however, the majority of the Gertenrich's you will see have some paper loss on back. The Gertenrich's are a later issue and date from the same time as the E121 American Caramel Series of 120--ie outfielders will simply be O.F. and infielders are simply 3.B., etc. Most tougher backs from this series are from the time of the E121 "Series of 80" so the Gertenrich's are a little different in that regard. I haven't done any research on it or anything but I would imagine that that is a picture of Lou Gertenrich himself on back-- a former Major Leaguer around the turn of the century.

Gertenrich cards...
[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

I have the Gertenrich back of Elmer Miller. Was apparently glued in an album so some back damage. A Gertenrich however.

Kmac

Old 01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

Yep, the two I have both have small spots were it looks like they might have been torn from an album.
See below...

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

[linked image] [linked image]

Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank L.

Mine also has alot of back damage.

[linked image]

Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

That's interesting that so many have paperloss on the back. I wonder if there was a massive find that consisted of nearly all the Lou Gertenrich cards? I don't think mine has paperloss on the back..but until I get it in hand I'm not sure.

Rhett- you never cease to amaze me with the amount of cards you have of some of the oddball issues.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

They all have paperloss in roughly the same spot, so it's not coincidental.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I think there is a large number with back loss because about three years ago a very large group of these came up on ebay and were auctioned off individually, and I believe all had a certain amount of paper loss on their backs.

Brian

Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Brian is correct...there were a large number auctioned on ebay 3-4 yrs ago and all had paper loss on the back. Until that time this series was really scarce (and still is scarce). I won about 30 of those on ebay and have since sold them. All had paper loss ...regards

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

My Miller has the exact paper loss in the exact same place. Interesting

Kmac