NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Default What am I missing on Moe Berg?

Is it just me ... or are the prices asked (and sometimes received?) for Moe Berg cards WAY out of whack with other cards?

I mean the guy was an average player and a spy. Okay. Big deal.

Why do the prices for his cards rival/exceed the prices for Lou Gerhig and Jimmy Foxx?

I just don't get it.

Seems to me Berg cards should be more in line with Al Schracht cards. A common player, with an interesting back story, that makes him more than a common and less than a super star.

Am I missing something???? Why do you have to mortgage the house to get a bad condition Berg card in the 33 Goudey of 36 Fine Pens?

Patrick
Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Is it just me ... or are the prices asked (and sometimes received?) for Moe Berg cards WAY out of whack with other cards?

I mean the guy was an average player and a spy. Okay. Big deal.

Why do the prices for his cards rival/exceed the prices for Lou Gerhig and Jimmy Foxx?

I just don't get it.

Seems to me Berg cards should be more in line with Al Schracht cards. A common player, with an interesting back story, that makes him more than a common and less than a super star.

Am I missing something???? Why do you have to mortgage the house to get a bad condition Berg card in the 33 Goudey of 36 Fine Pens?

Patrick
Lots of people collect Jewish players as well. His story is one of the most interesting and oft repeated in the history of the sport...at least for a non-all star type player. You will also notice that there isn't much of a difference between, say, a PSA 3 and PSA 6 for the 33 Goudey. Only around $100 or so on average. This tells me that people are more interested in getting an example of the card than they are getting a better condition one. Thus, the popularity of the player due to his Jewish heritae and his uber-interesting story lead to a demand for the card.

Tom C
Old 01-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Besides being a Jewish ballplayer, he has a popular culture place far above Schact. Berg's story is quite compelling: Ivy League educated lawyer who would rather spend time as a bullpen catcher than working at a far more lucrative profession [he said "I'd rather be a ballplayer than a justice on the U.S. Supreme Court."], early recruit to the OSS, an actual overseas spy. At one point he was tasked with attending a conference in Switzerland to evaluate Werner Heisenberg's progress on the A bomb, with instructions to assassinate him if Heisenberg seemed to be close to building a bomb]. He parachuted into occupied Yugoslavia to work with and evaluate the various resistance groups. His wartime services resulted in the Medal of Freedom [2nd highest civilian honor at the time]. He was the subject of a best-selling book, The Catcher Was A Spy. Also a very popular character of the day who seemed to know everyone from the President on down. Here he is with Joe Louis.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-23-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Bullpen catcher stuff is HUGE. I own a complete uniform worn by Astros bullpen catcher Javier Bracamonte.

I wish he was also a spy
Old 01-23-2015, 02:42 PM

I guess I still just don't get it.

Hank Greenberg was Jewish. His cards go for less, and he was a much better baseball player.

Jimmy Doolittle did a lot more in the war ... and his cards (in the 1934 Sky Birds series for example) barely go for more than a common.

I mean I understand there would be a premium for Berg versus a common. He was an interesting guy (but so was Schact).

But when his cards are priced at the level of Gerhig and Dimaggio (and he carries a premium versus regular HOFers of the era)... well, that just seems silly to me.

But to each his own I suppose.
Patrick
Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

That's Schacht to you, buddy
Old 01-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default oops

Sorry but could not resist:

And that is Gehrig to you also.

Peace, Mike

PS oh.....and it's DiMaggio.

Last edited by vthobby; 01-23-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM
K Farrell

A few years back I heard there was a Moe Berg movie in the works. Did it ever get made?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Tom

That is like Bob Uecker, a common who has far more value then he should have.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Frank Wakefield

SMPEP, read The Catcher was a Spy. Then consider that Berg touched a broad spectrum of very diverse people. A few of those folks, here and there, probably wanted a Berg card back in the late '40s to late '50s. Kinda like how Shag Shaughnessy's white border southern league card had increased demand in the teens, 20's and 30's, because of his position in minor league baseball. Lots of folks who didn't really collect baseball cards did want one of Shag's in those days.

I think that's what pulled some of Berg's cards out of the hands of normal collectors ("normal, thought that was a setting on a clothes dryer") and into the hands of folks who'd only get one card, Moe's. Those singletons are now most likely lost to our hobby.

Based on the way you asked your question and your first response, it sounded like you'd already made up your mind.

Somewhere, I have one of his business cards from long ago. If I can find the right box I'll get an image posted.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Richard Simon

I am not a card person but I find it hard to believe that his cards are selling for as much as Gehrig.
Is that correct?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Wonderful signed large format Who's Who page.

Tom C
Old 01-24-2015, 02:30 AM
Glyn Parson

Default The answer is really rather simple...

Answer is Demand.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I am not a card person but I find it hard to believe that his cards are selling for as much as Gehrig.
Is that correct?
Berg cards usually sell for a fraction of Gehrig cards.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
I guess I still just don't get it.

Hank Greenberg was Jewish. His cards go for less, and he was a much better baseball player.

Jimmy Doolittle did a lot more in the war ... and his cards (in the 1934 Sky Birds series for example) barely go for more than a common.

I mean I understand there would be a premium for Berg versus a common. He was an interesting guy (but so was Schact).

But when his cards are priced at the level of Gerhig and Dimaggio (and he carries a premium versus regular HOFers of the era)... well, that just seems silly to me.

But to each his own I suppose.
Patrick
If anyone wants to trade a 1933 goudey Gehrig or a 1939 play ball DiMaggio for my Berg cards of those issues please email me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Ronald Goldberg

I just sold this one in September for $2,200. Gehrig in the same grade would easily sell for 5 times that.

image.jpg
Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post
I just sold this one in September for $2,200. Gehrig in the same grade would easily sell for 5 times that.

Attachment 176476

Ron,

To answer the OP's original question, I thought your answer would be

"Gold"

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Ronald Goldberg

Goot
Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM
pete ullman

After I read the catcher was a spy...I Wanted a Moe Berg card!!!!!!!

To say Berg's cards sell higher than gehrig's just is not true...this may only be the occasional case in a set where gehrigs cards go very very cheap...definitely not the main issues like goudey.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM
K Farrell

A teammate Once said of Berg, "he can speak seven languages, but can't hit in any of them".
Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 AM

Demand is based on story and lore. I actually find Berg's story more compelling that the Black Sox Scandal.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
After I read the catcher was a spy...I Wanted a Moe Berg card!!!!!!!.
This, +1.

I first heard about Moe 7 years ago or so (when I heavily got into collecting my hof cards etc.) and heard he was a spy, and quite an interesting man (too bad he's not around today, he surely would have been the "World's Most Interesting Man" for Dos Equis). I immediately went home to search for any signed cards/cards/and plain auto's of him.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Moe is a big part of Rob Fitts' book "Banzai Babe Ruth" which came out a few years ago. It focuses on the 1934 tour of Japan (where Berg took the movies of the Tokyo skyline later used by the USAAF in identifying targets). Besides the Berg parts, Fitts' book is a great glimpse of 1934 baseball, a must have if you collect Goudey and Diamond Stars and love the story behind the players - Lefty Gomes, Ruth, Gehrig, Mack, Foxx - they're all in there and the author brings them all to life. There's a great look into the Ruth-Gehrig relationship and I really enjoyed how The Babe was portrayed in the book. Plus there's an additional sub-plot of a military coup and how the US baseball tour played a part in it. Reads like fiction, but it's all true - but anyway, its a contemporary book about Berg besides the usual "Catcher was a Spy" that's often read.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Frank Wakefield

Berg's brother and sister each had different perspectives on their baseball playing brother, and each supported separate books about him. The sister's had limited printing, it took me a while to get a copy. Berg was a very interesting fellow. It isn't just baseball and spy... it's how he could walk in and out of places, drop in on people, disappear for periods of time. One tiny insight, he liked reading all of a newspaper; unread, he considered it "alive", and once he had read it, it was "dead". He didn't like folks messing with his newspapers.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Arnie

I collect Jewish cards as a sub-collection, and Berg is one of the major Jewish players I want, and people like me I am sure drive the prices up. Perhaps too not as many Moe Berg cards survived as at the time it wasnt known that he was a spy and all the other stuff, and while Greenberg cards were being kept, perhaps many people got rid of Berg cards.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 01-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Moe is a big part of Rob Fitts' book "Banzai Babe Ruth" which came out a few years ago. It focuses on the 1934 tour of Japan (where Berg took the movies of the Tokyo skyline later used by the USAAF in identifying targets). Besides the Berg parts, Fitts' book is a great glimpse of 1934 baseball, a must have if you collect Goudey and Diamond Stars and love the story behind the players - Lefty Gomes, Ruth, Gehrig, Mack, Foxx - they're all in there and the author brings them all to life. There's a great look into the Ruth-Gehrig relationship and I really enjoyed how The Babe was portrayed in the book. Plus there's an additional sub-plot of a military coup and how the US baseball tour played a part in it. Reads like fiction, but it's all true - but anyway, its a contemporary book about Berg besides the usual "Catcher was a Spy" that's often read.
I was unaware of this book, after reading your post I got on Amazon and ordered it. Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Hope you like it as much as I did!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 PM

If I remember right, Berg was also basically tossed aside by the Secret Service/CIA after his spy work in Japan. He was rehired later in a lesser capacity. But he was essentially homeless for awhile and would wander around, living with friends and relatives. He was one of the smartest and most educated (and most fluent) men in America, and the government just used him and tossed him away.

One of the pieces I really loved in our last Heritage auction was Berg's actual Europe Eurail train pass from one of his spy trips.
Recent transactions with: Leon, LukeLyon, wilkiebaby11, KC Doughboy, robbessette, JollyElm, jimmivintage, benderbroeth, JManos, Haybag, Northviewcats, Sean1125, Clydepepper, hangman62, simas7173, pencil1974, Nappy1525, T206Collector, h2oya311, 25801wv, sycks22, tolstoi, sebie43, JasonD08, Brian Van Horn, bcbgcbrcb, Lordstan, Frankbmd, jasonc, markf31, mybuddyinc, kailes2872, mintacular, campyfan39, Cat, Jcfowler6, sam9795, chaddurbin, 39special, vtgmsc, jdl7860, 4815162342, 71buc, Lgarza99, etc.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Paul S

Here's a shot of my grandfather Billy Sullivan with Moe Berg. I always thought it was an interesting picture because I would think it has to be the only photo of two major league catchers who both had law degrees. Perhaps even the only photo of two major league players who both had law degrees at the time they were playing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy Jr. with Moe Berg.jpg (75.4 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by pbspelly; 01-25-2015 at 06:05 PM.