NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Default Seeking advice on a potential crossover

Posted By: Dylan

I recently purchased two T206's. one graded PSA 5 and another PSA 6 both with the MC qualifier(see below). I've been putting together a collection of different tobacco brands and have almost all of these T206 cards in SGC holders. Since SGC doesnt use qualifiers, and they do reject cards for being miscut Id like some advice on whether i should crack em out and submit them to SGC. Would I have any trouble submitting my T206s and receiving a grade? The PSA 5 is cut slightly too high on the bottom. The American beauty MC is more obivious. Does anyone have any experience sending MC cards into SGC? If you have how did they grade them? Id hate to break them out just to have them rejected, and have to send them back into PSA(especially since i dont have a psa membership!)

Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'd send them in the PSA holders. I wouldn't bust those particular cards out. That's just me though.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

I would never take those two out of their PSA holders.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I think the Stovall would cross over fine, but the ritter would not. I think it would be rejected, due to the missing border.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Stambaugh

Dylan, I don't think you'll have a problem getting them slabbed as long as they measure to standard, but don't think you'll see near your "5" or "6" if that's of importance to you. I've typically experienced a 2 grade reduction from them with obvious mis-cuts...

Old 04-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

At first, when looking at the back of the American Beauty card, I thought it had an inward curve on the left side... a concave cutting. But then I decided that the side is straight, as is evident from looking at the card's front, and what was throwing me was reflection off of the plastic inner sleeve. So the miscut is based on that close right margin when looking at the front. The card looks to be the correct width. American Beauty cigarette packages were narrower than the other brands, AB cards are all trimmed down a bit thinner to fit in the package. And it seems that all of the trimming for AB cards to fit was done on one side, seldom does one come across an AB white border card with even front side margins.

Having said all of that, I think that SGC would grade that card, because SGC should know what I've said above... but I have minimal experience with getting cards graded. You could mail it to them in the holder and ask them how they'd grade it, let them call you, and then you could tell them whether to break him out and reslab him, or to just mail him back in the PSA slab.

As for what I'd do, I'd bust both of them out, save the little grading slips, pitch the plastic bits, and collect the white border set ungraded.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Dylan ,I would keep them in the PSA holders and submit them to SGC. I don't want to open up a can of worms here but IMO they both look short and I am surprised no one else has mentioned it. Good luck with the 206 back set, it's a neat way to type collect the set.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think both should grade...albeit SGC will probably grade 2-3 grades lower without the qualifier. Don't crack 'em first......good luck.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

You do know that American Beauty cards are almost always "miscut" in comparison to other T206 cards? I'd bust them and let SGC have a fresh look at it. If they see the qualifiers, SGC will automatically assume something's wrong.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

I was going to bring up that American beauty cards are often miscut due to their being smaller then other T206's, and that perhaps SGC would take it into consideration. The main reason im interested in having them in sgc slabs is that almost all of my T206 back set are in SGC slabs, but.. thats not a huge deal to me. I'll give it some thought, and if i send them in I will post results.

BTW... SGC graded the below E102 Murphy. Which arent even supposed to be missing border like Abeauty is. So i think itd be tough for sgc not to grade it.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

ABs aren't miscut, guys... they were intentionally cut that way. The cigarettes were thinner, the package of 10 was smaller.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GoudeyHunt

i am a 33 goudey collector and constantly sending psa cards in for crossover. they are really into customer service at SGC, just write a not with the cards to the graders and leave them in the psa holders, they will call and tell you the grade and you can decide if you want to do it that way. best of luck