NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Warren Spahn at age 42 tossed a league leading 22 complete games.
For his career, he completed 57 percent of his starts.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-11-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't understand why, with all the advances in training and medical knowledge, starting pitchers today are such snowflakes that you have to start to worry about their pitch count after 5 innings, even when they have an extra day of rest than used to be the norm. How often do you think their managers were worried that Spahn, or Gibby, or Seaver, or Carlton had thrown too many pitches?
And they pitched on three days rest.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Athletes do what they are conditioned to do. Blame the organizations they pitch for if you don’t like the number of innings pitchers are throwing.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Warren Spahn at age 42 tossed a league leading 22 complete games.
For his career, he completed 57 percent of his starts.
I suspect that the stats for the HOF pre-War pitchers will show even higher percentages of starts completed: for example:

WaJo completed 531 or 79.7% of his 666 regular season starts.
Matty completed 435 or 78.8% of his 552 regular season starts.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:45 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
I don't understand why, with all the advances in training and medical knowledge, starting pitchers today are such snowflakes that you have to start to worry about their pitch count after 5 innings, even when they have an extra day of rest than used to be the norm. How often do you think their managers were worried that Spahn, or Gibby, or Seaver, or Carlton had thrown too many pitches?
Because they throw way harder than the starters of yore. EVERYONE throws much harder than guys in the past. With very, very few exceptions, you simply can't have the same stamina throwing 99 as you can throwing 91. And managers have also seen the numbers on how much worse guys are the third time through the lineup.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:34 AM
Jay Zimmerman

Don Newcombe was 123-66 for the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1949-1956.
He won 27 games in 1956 and 20 in 1955.
He pitched in 3 World Series. His record was 0-4 with an 8.59 ERA.
He never could win the big game for them.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Because they throw way harder than the starters of yore. EVERYONE throws much harder than guys in the past. With very, very few exceptions, you simply can't have the same stamina throwing 99 as you can throwing 91. And managers have also seen the numbers on how much worse guys are the third time through the lineup.
Chris, I think that another factor is the variety and frequency of breaking pitches thrown by today's pitchers compared to what pitchers threw in the past, especially during the dead-ball era. WaJo and other dead-ball era pitchers relied heavily on their fast balls and maybe one other pitch (e.g., Matty with his screwball); this worked wonderfully, until the live-ball era, at which time WaJo worked to improve his other pitches, especially his curve ball, and I assume other predominantly-fast-ball pitchers had to do the same to maintain their excellence.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

When they show three pitches from the same pitcher (eg fastball, slider and curve) superimposed together and all three remain on the same track for 30 feet and then spin off in three different directions, i’m Glad that I am not in the batter’s box.

I believe this accounts for both the increasing number of whiffs and the increasing incidence of Tommy John procedures.

Warren Spahn pitched his first complete game before Tommy John was born and would have had more if it wasn’t for that damned war.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Chris, I think that another factor is the variety and frequency of breaking pitches thrown by today's pitchers compared to what pitchers threw in the past, especially during the dead-ball era. WaJo and other dead-ball era pitchers relied heavily on their fast balls and maybe one other pitch (e.g., Matty with his screwball); this worked wonderfully, until the live-ball era, at which time WaJo worked to improve his other pitches, especially his curve ball, and I assume other predominantly-fast-ball pitchers had to do the same to maintain their excellence.
Absolutely true.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
The answer is simple -- keep Kershaw off the Post Season roster. That way the Manager doesn't have an urge to use him and the OTHER players don't have to dread the inevitable implosion when he pitches.....

CC Sabathia is a future Hall-of-Famer and the (yuck) Yankees dropped him from the Post Season roster.

David
For a guy not on the roster, he seems to be in the game as I type this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 AM
qualitycards

Due to shoulder & knee injuries, they didn't include CC from the divisional series vs Minnesota.
Since he would have more rest the Yankees added him to the roster vs Houston.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:53 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Since this post has already taken the turn...LET'S GO YANKEES!!
If the Dodgers want to ship Kershaw over here I am sure Yankees can find a spot for him..
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Verlander
Old 10-30-2019, 11:46 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

14-11 with a 3.40 ERA doesn’t qualify
Old 10-30-2019, 03:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Very disappointing post-season by Verlander in any event.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:26 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

It was a disappointing post - season for Verlander, and I am a Verlander fan but I wonder if fatherhood and being married to Kate Upton took its toll on him as a 36 year old with a lot of innings thrown this year and as the season wore on and as the post - season continued that fatigue and the pressure to rid himself of the pitching curse in the W S mentally and physically wore him down .
No comments needed about Kate Upton wearing anybody down ...that fact is self evident !!!
Old 10-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
It was a disappointing post - season for Verlander, and I am a Verlander fan but I wonder if fatherhood and being married to Kate Upton took its toll on him as a 36 year old with a lot of innings thrown this year and as the season wore on and as the post - season continued that fatigue and the pressure to rid himself of the pitching curse in the W S mentally and physically wore him down .
No comments needed about Kate Upton wearing anybody down ...that fact is self evident !!!
From what I've read he has a very strong marriage, aside from the obvious silly innuendo why would that wear him out? He was terrific during the season, he probably just had a few bad outings.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
14-11 with a 3.40 ERA doesn’t qualify
ok worst WS pitcher

".... in the World Series, Verlander is 0-6 with a 5.68 ERA in seven career starts."