NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Default What has changed?

This “scandal” has been outed and going on now for about 6 months. I was thinking what has changed? Other than collectors are more aware and additional cards getting outed, I would venture to say nothing.

The same eBay sellers are still selling and the grading companies are still churning out the cards at record paces. I was hopeful that at this point steps would be made or at the very least in place to rectify this situation.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
This “scandal” has been outed and going on now for about 6 months. I was thinking what has changed? Other than collectors are more aware and additional cards getting outed, I would venture to say nothing.

The same eBay sellers are still selling and the grading companies are still churning out the cards at record paces. I was hopeful that at this point steps would be made or at the very least in place to rectify this situation.

Nothing has changed except for your first point which is spot on.

I think stuff is happening behind closed doors....some for the better of the hobby, sadly more for the skin of thy own rear ends. Sadly its cyclical.....To me it's going to be up to the Buyers to dictate the future of the hobby/industry not the sellers.

All the information is out there if people don't get it by now they never will.

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Good point. It’s in our hands now. We can’t count on any new rules, protections or regulations. There is no voice for the consumer in this business. So the ONLY place we can hurt them is in the pocketbook. If we simply stop submitting, and supporting entities that knowingly pedal tainted product, we will have the best chance of instigating positive changes.

Since money dictates every decision these people make, that is the only place we can hope to influence the hobby’s future. Perhaps the person who spent $15 Grand on an altered 1964 Koufax is reading this. Hope so, anyway.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

What has changed? The TPG's are doing record sales and the prices of cards are going up, in general. Next......
Old 10-10-2019, 06:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

People want intstant karma and instant justice, but that's not always, or even usually, the way it works.

John Dillinger, Bernie Madoff and Al Capone were riding high for a long time. John Dillinger being sentenced for serial bank robbery meant he robbed a lot of banks for a while.

Last edited by drcy; 10-10-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
People want intstant karma and instant justice, but that's not always, or even usually, the way it works.

John Dillinger, Bernie Madoff and Al Capone were riding high for a long time. John Dillinger being sentenced for serial bank robbery meant he robbed a lot of banks for a while.
+1

Everyone's clamoring for twitter justice.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:54 AM

This stuff has been going on for years, though perhaps at not such an organized or systemic level.

It just highlights the importance of knowing what you’re buying and how to determine true value. If you can do that, you can still navigate through the hobby.

I wonder if eventually there will come a day when the history of a card becomes attached to it somehow. Maybe the next evolution of TPGs.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrace View Post
This stuff has been going on for years, though perhaps at not such an organized or systemic level.

It just highlights the importance of knowing what you’re buying and how to determine true value. If you can do that, you can still navigate through the hobby.

I wonder if eventually there will come a day when the history of a card becomes attached to it somehow. Maybe the next evolution of TPGs.
It would require the formation of a completely new TPG company.

One thing's for sure... PSA ain't ever gonna do it. They would never admit to the cards' true histories (even if they were capable of identifying them).
Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I asked this same question on here a few weeks ago and I was told how it's probably going to take years until we get an answer. I was told that the Mastro case took years and how it's not going to be any different with this one.

One thing I really want to know is if PSA had a grader or two or three who worked with these dealers. In other words, when they received trimmed cards from certain sellers, these graders knew they were trimmed, but still encapsulated them. This story has been circulating a lot in the hobby, and it's obviously a very interesting one, however, no one has proven it to be true yet.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:

What a joke!
You people thought justice would come? What a cesspool
Old 10-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I asked this same question on here a few weeks ago and I was told how it's probably going to take years until we get an answer. I was told that the Mastro case took years and how it's not going to be any different with this one.

One thing I really want to know is if PSA had a grader or two or three who worked with these dealers. In other words, when they received trimmed cards from certain sellers, these graders knew they were trimmed, but still encapsulated them. This story has been circulating a lot in the hobby, and it's obviously a very interesting one, however, no one has proven it to be true yet.
Maestro is out of jail any has been buying from many ebay sellers!
Court order says he can not do baseball cards but yet he is buying publically?!
Old 10-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Personally I don't collect graded/authenticated anything (even BBCE) anymore and I haven't had as much fun collecting since I was a kid, but if people want to keep paying PSA for a service they don't offer and paying premiums then so be it.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:20 PM
je.sse @rnot

I have tried to watch as much as possible. Looking for a correction to pick up a couple of cards on my want list. I haven't seen many opportunities to get any of the cards at all, and certainly no bargains. It does appear, with absolutely no evidence to back this up, that some may be waiting for this to blow over before sending certain cards to auction.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Personally I don't collect graded/authenticated anything (even BBCE) anymore and I haven't had as much fun collecting since I was a kid, but if people want to keep paying PSA for a service they don't offer and paying premiums then so be it.
Ditto. I had the most fun at the National this year in many years and it was partially because I ignored slabs. it is really nostalgic for me to actually touch a 1933 Goudey card instead of its tomb.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-15-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Wanted to bring this thread back up as it’s coming on a year since I originally posted it. Absolutely nothing has changed in over a year. Same outed sellers still selling on eBay and in full force. Others have gone radio silent on message boards, changed EBay handle names, or act like nothing has happened. Disheartening to the good people who do things right in our hobby.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:50 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Going on two years now since my original post. Not seeing any changes by the third party graders or major sellers, nor any movement on the law enforcement side. Disheartening to say the least.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:56 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Going on two years now since my original post. Not seeing any changes by the third party graders or major sellers, nor any movement on the law enforcement side. Disheartening to say the least.
I think this was mostly predictable though. I think a lot of the accusations likely never had any teeth to begin with. And even for the ones that did, it's not exactly clear that those acts were even criminal. But the investigations may still be ongoing? Who knows. Maybe covid delayed things, but I think that's becoming more and more of a longshot with every passing day.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:50 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I think the tide is turning, I know 99% of people on this board are extremely bullish and think it’s only going to continue to go up and they might be right but I’m the one percent that is very risk off it can’t keep running like this in my mind especially with tapering and rate hikes Coming. Sure it could be months away but the gravy train is going to stop. A lot of this crazy action to the upside has been driven by investors with a lot of money once they exit and find another way to make money things will change.
Will You Be Able To Get Bargains on Key Higher End GOATS no, will you get much more reasonable chances, IMO yes.

In terms of people held accountable for their actions this is 2021 nobody gets held accountable for their actions that’s one thing I’ve learned over the past year and a half.

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-09-2021 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Never wrong only early, Johnny

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-09-2021, 06:48 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Here is a Little history

in 1849 Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr said

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

and it is even more true in 2021 in the world Baseball Card Collecting

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-09-2021, 07:54 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Never wrong only early, Johnny
too early ends up being wrong though!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 09-12-2021, 10:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I think the tide is turning, I know 99% of people on this board are extremely bullish and think it’s only going to continue to go up and they might be right but I’m the one percent that is very risk off it can’t keep running like this in my mind especially with tapering and rate hikes Coming. Sure it could be months away but the gravy train is going to stop. A lot of this crazy action to the upside has been driven by investors with a lot of money once they exit and find another way to make money things will change.
Will You Be Able To Get Bargains on Key Higher End GOATS no, will you get much more reasonable chances, IMO yes.

In terms of people held accountable for their actions this is 2021 nobody gets held accountable for their actions that’s one thing I’ve learned over the past year and a half.
A year and a half is the start of a big investigation, from what we have seen in at least one instance. Time will tell but I am still optimistic. I have faith in the authorities.

.and a random card..

Last edited by Leon; 09-12-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:05 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Same here. I had left the hobby because of what grading has done to the joy of collecting. I am having a lot of fun buying raw, or busting slabs on those I get a good deal on. Oversized borders a plus!