NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Al

Default Closing Tonight: Love of the Game Auctions

Hi Everybody:

On the heels of an awesome National, I just wanted to remind everyone that the Love of the Game summer auction closes tonight at 9PM eastern.

The extended bidding period begins at 9, and continues until no item in the auction has received a bid for 15 minutes. In order to bid in extended bidding, you need to have placed a bid on that item prior to 9:00.

I do expect this one to run late.

Lots of great items in this auction, but I wanted to point out a few special ones that I think are interesting and perhaps are flying under the radar a bit, given some other items in the auction that are attracting so much attention:

• Beautiful N173 cabinets of Hall of Famers King Kelly, Cap Anson, and John Clarkson
• A dynamite T206 set (518/524), with 337 graded (mostly by SGC). The HOFers and most of the graded cards in this set are gorgeous.
• An extremely cool 1949-52 Los Angeles Angels PCL game-worn jersey and cap, with the jersey attributed to infielder Tod Davis.
• A gorgeous N566 Newsboy John Ward, one of many really nice cabinets we have in this auction.
• A nice assortment of interesting T206s, led by a super high-grade Jake Atz, and followed up by some tough backs, miscast, and nice HOFers.
• A huge group of 1916 M101-4/5 Mendelsohn-produced cards, including a ton of Famous & Barr Hall of Famers and other really tough types
• A nice group of PSA-graded 1933 Goudeys
• A host of tough autographs, attractive memorabilia, and our first Americana section (with lots of bargains).

If you're a bidder or consignor in the auction, best of luck. If not, hopefully it'll be an entertaining night to watch!

www.loveofthegameauctions.com

Thanks so much,
-Al
Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Good luck Al, GREAT material here!!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Dave_Berg

Great auction, I'll be up tonight
Old 08-08-2015, 11:08 AM
je.sse @rnot

Lots of great stuff in this one. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Pete Sycks

Amazing auction as always Al

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 08-08-2015, 01:45 PM

I'm staying up late for this one
Old 08-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

So many great items, was nice to see the bat in person. Good luck everyone.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I'm staying up late for this one
I would be 100 percent comfortable placing a max bid in Al's auction and going to bed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
James R. Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would be 100 percent comfortable placing a max bid in Al's auction and going to bed.
+1
Old 08-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Good luck to all the consignors and of course you Al.

Six pack of MGD and Billy Joel playing softly in the background. A perfect evening for you.....
Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 AM
Rob

Yuck, I just paid a dummy-tax of $120 b/c I can't or won't read the instructions. With no one bidding against me all night...I doubled the stakes with a straight bid instead of a max bid when I was already winning...a cautionary tale...
Old 08-09-2015, 01:04 AM
Todd Schultz

Bartender, please do NOT give me what that man's drinking.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:23 AM
Glyn Parson

Default great auction Al

Went to bed in great shape on a couple items i really wanted woke up under bidder on one and the second underbidder on the other. Did win a few cards, though not the two i most wanted, but that's an auction you win some you lose some.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Marc S.

Amazing auction, Al! Congrats to LotG.

The Gehrig bat is simply phenomenal. The story, the photo match, it's a thing of legend.

Was happy as a consignor. My bids didn't hold up this time around, but I'm overall very happy again with the end-to-end LotG experience.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Indeed congrats on yet another terrific auction. The legwork you do for your consignors really is extraordinary.

I was underbidder on three items including one I have wanted for a long time. Whomever ended up with the signed 34 Goudey Bob Johnson congrats. My search continues...

Tom C
Old 08-09-2015, 05:42 AM
Dan Bl@u

Apparently I didn't stay up late enough either. Damn beer festival yesterday afternoon...

Last edited by Bliggity; 08-09-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Congrats on a great auction, Al!

I was the high bidder on the one item that I really wanted from the start of the auction until I went to bed. Congrats to whoever won the T213-1 Coupon Cranston!

Best,

Steve
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM
K!ya S@bet

This continues to be one of my favorite auction houses...Thanks Al for the great customer service and top notch product.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Very nice stuff. The Kreindler painting, CJ Jax, and Ruth RC were all fantastic. Wish I had won the lottery a week ago!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 08-09-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 AM

Second time I've consigend with LoTG. Al is first class from beginning to end. Responsive, professional, knowledgeable and trustworthy. As a bidder, I know that I can enter my max bids and rest easy.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 AM
Banned

This looked like a fun little auction. Congrats to the winners.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:15 AM
J1m C0chran

Default Marathon

Nice auction. But, I really don't get these auctions that leave every lot open based on one bid for any lot. Of course, this is just sour grapes because I was outbid at 2:45 AM (ET) on the Sporting News Marquard. Congrats to that winner. I guess it's a contest of who wants to stay up the longest, or what time zone you're in.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc6252 View Post
Nice auction. But, I really don't get these auctions that leave every lot open based on one bid for any lot. Of course, this is just sour grapes because I was outbid at 2:45 AM (ET) on the Sporting News Marquard. Congrats to that winner. I guess it's a contest of who wants to stay up the longest, or what time zone you're in.
If you were willing to pay the next level, why not just lock up the level with a ceiling bid?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Wow.

What an auction. My first consignment, to say it went well would be an understatement. Can't say enough good things about Al. First class all the way.

And that bat!
...whatever I want
Old 08-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Tony N.

Default Lotg

What a great auction!! Unreal ending prices, especially the Gehrig Bat!!!

Great job Al!!

Tony
Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
If you were willing to pay the next level, why not just lock up the level with a ceiling bid?
Some folks I would assume are scared of being shilled is my guess. With all the hobby news of people winning cards they didn't keep and just sending them back to appear in later auctions as result of shilling. I can totally understand why some folks would be hesitant to place ceiling bids.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:20 AM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Some folks I would assume are scared of being shilled is my guess. With all the hobby news of people winning cards they didn't keep and just sending them back to appear in later auctions as result of shilling. I can totally understand why some folks would be hesitant to place ceiling bids.

I have no fear with Al or H&S leaving high ceiling bids. I get my first crack at the last price level every time. I also win a lot with room to go so makes me feel comfortable.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:45 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
I have no fear with Al or H&S leaving high ceiling bids. I get my first crack at the last price level every time. I also win a lot with room to go so makes me feel comfortable.
Good to know thanks for sharing. My comment above wasn't a statement about Al or his auction. It was a statement of why some people may have a fear of leaving ceiling bids with any auction.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

I'd rather be shilled than lose sleep.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Scott S

Quote:
I'm less bothered by this, than auctions where you can bid on any item in extra time even if you never bid in regular time. In Sterling last week, I was the only bidder on a card when it went to OT, so I assumed I won. Imagine my surprise to wake up and see I was out bid at 2AM. Shame on me for not reading the rules closely enough, but a strange policy in my opinion. Sorry - not trying to derail the topic!

Scott S@ri@n
Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Al is beyond reproach. Problem is that sometimes consigners and their friends are not.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Mark

Quote:
I think its the best way to go to avoid getting outbid by someone who quit on their auction then comes and snags yours. I bid on anything early that i want to consider at the end.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Justin Burleson

Quote:
That's what I did, and didn't reach my max. Love LOTG!
Justin ( Burl ) Burleson
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 PM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
You are absolutely right, and I normally use that tactic. This was a relatively inexpensive card I discovered on closing day and wasn't sure what I was willing to spend. And, I must admit, the gambler in me enjoys some head-to-head extended bidding. My checkbook, not so much!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Al is the best, as a LOTG consignor he always describes my item well and as a buyer I slept well last night with my winning max bid that was completely untapped come morning.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One of the advantages to being a vampire is being to stay up on auction night. Another is I get my money's worth out of social security.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:38 AM
J1m C0chran

Drcy, are you for hire to do my zombie bidding? Dumb question, where does social security fit into the scheme?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Justin

Quote:

Opps, my bad. Sorry about that. I got home from the bars (I can't recommend this tactic), placed my maximum bids and went to bed...

On the positive side, to my surprise all six of my bids held. Most were below my max so I definitely recommend setting it and getting some sleep.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM
J1m C0chran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
Opps, my bad. Sorry about that. I got home from the bars (I can't recommend this tactic), placed my maximum bids and went to bed...

On the positive side, to my surprise all six of my bids held. Most were below my max so I definitely recommend setting it and getting some sleep.
Justin, no worries. That's a sweet card, enjoy! I may have to try the post-bar strategy next time
Old 08-10-2015, 11:04 AM

Al's auction house is the best auction house on the planet. I put my max bid in & went to sleep. Unfortunately, I am a low end collector, so I just don't have the deep pockets.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Al's auction house is the best auction house on the planet. I put my max bid in & went to sleep. Unfortunately, I am a low end collector, so I just don't have the deep pockets.

Al may still be sleeping.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Al may still be sleeping.
That might explain why I still have not gotten an invoice yet.

Anybody else get one yet?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Todd Schultz

Probably still hungover from a Taylor Swift concert.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-10-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Al

Hi All:

Just reviewing the shipping charges to make sure I'm not overcharging anyone.

Invoices should be emailed within the hour.

Thanks for being patient, I like to get this part right!

-Al
Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Jay Cee

Great auction Al! I hope you consider going to a format where each lot closes without a bid for a certain time. If not, then I guess I Wont get much sleep on auction night.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I have never had a problem

with the auction and have won a couple of items in the past. Descriptions match the items and shipping is more than reasonable. I also had no problem leaving a maximum bid in last nights auction (won by a bid below my max). What does bother me is the closing sequence. I understand trying to maximize the bidding opportunities by extending all actions by 15 minutes when any one item is bid on - I assume that allows for someone outbid to then chase something else or? From my perspective as a BIDDER - I would prefer that each item carry it's own clock - I don't like the idea of leaving bids as it allows the subsequent bidder to take shots at the highest bid at their discretion - and around 4:00 am when the mail notices are delivered signaling the end of the auction - them that's awake have an unfair advantage. Just my nickel.....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 PM
M0rrie Mu||ins

I played this one about perfectly. Got registered, got approved, got distracted by the wife needing to go to the store, forgot to bid.

Next time!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Auction closing format has been debated endlessly here and it seems there is no solution that will make everyone happy.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Ethan

Default Love Of The Game

Great auction....playing with the big dogs now. Congrats Al...
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Jay Cee

Happy either way, but would be more happy if I lived in California for the few auctions that stay open until no bids for the entire auction. Much bigger advantage for Westcoast bidders IMO. Lots that go off independently at a reasonable hour, have a more likeyhood of having multiple bidders get into a bidding battle.