NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Default Tomorrow life begins again

Posted By: warshawlaw

Workouts begin tomorrow, including my beloved Yankees. Ah, spring training...I am happy!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

It's below ZERO here tonite in Pennsylvania and outside its a wonderland of snow and ice.
It is very difficult to think BASEBALL....but, it does warm the heart.

I, too, will be looking forward to the Yankees' season, now that Pettitte is back in pin-stripes.
But, can he be the same Southpaw in the Bronx he once was ?

For one who has rooted for this team since 1949....it has been a "love/hate" romance since the
mid-1970's when you know who took over the ownership of this franchise.

TED Z

Old 02-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I've been a Cardinal fan since seeing Mr. Musial play in 1963.

Pitchers and Catchers and Mr. Pujols reported TODAY for the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.

I guess the work ethic is a bit less for those other teams that are reporting Thursday... a shame.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Saturday I will sitting in 28 degree temperature watching the Arkansas-Wisconsin-Milwaukee baseball game. BRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I cant friggin wait for baseball to start! I have tickets to 19 games already and plan on going to at least 11 other games at 4 other stadiums.Next winter im hibernating

Go Pirates!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

College baseball starts for me Friday....Huskers v New Mexico in Arlington, TX. Unfortunately no Radio or TV.

PS. Bob, Dave Van Horn is revered up here in Huskerland as having resurrected the baseball program....hated to see him leave, but we knew we couldn't keep him when the Arkansas job opened up.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I get a little spoiled out here in AZ. Royals, Rangers, Padres, Mariners, A's, Brewers, Giants, Cubs and Angels are all within 30 minutes of my house.
It's nice to skip work and lay in the outfield grass with a couple cool ones on occasion...plus there is always so much "talent" in the stadium.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Amen to Arizona.

I currently live just nort of Tucson and can't wait for spring training. I am a diehard cub fan and have tickets for the Cubs at Hohokam on the 1st and 2nd of March. My season has already started with cubs fantasy camp In Mesa and the retired cubbies. Now it's time for the big team and spring traing. All we need to do is get Big Z signed and we are set to go.

Go Cubbies

Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Zambrano is posturing and playing tough guy and Hendry says he doesn't think Zambrano would say that?
who's right?
Is that just Hendry's way of telling Zambrano to cool it?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I know theres some Twins fans on the board and theyre known for having a cheap billionaire for an owner so let me ask this question. Im always mad that the Pirates arent one of the first teams into spring training,they reported today while 10 teams reported yesterday and i always wonder if its just to save a little money. I look at the Twins though and they dont report till the 18th and position players on the 23rd and wonder if that bothers their fans at all? Obviously theyve been a good team in recent years but why wait so long to report. Does it even come up in conversation?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Anyone going to Spring Training? Two more weeks until the games begin. Can hardly wait - lots of teams to see in AZ. The Cactus League has the teams Paul mentioned plus the Tucson teams: Diamondbacks, Rockies, and White Sox. In a couple years the Indians and Dodgers are leaving Florida for Arizona too. Can't believe the Dodgers are giving up on Vero Beach (Dodgertown).

Old 02-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I was surprised to hear the Dodgers are leaving Florida as well. It is going to be close for those who live in LA though. There are a lot of California transplants here, so it should be good for them too.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

John- Knowing what I do about the Twins' owner he is probably having them report so late so he can save on room and board and meals per diems. Yes he is a skin flint.
tbob

Old 02-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

Lets Go Mets!

Old 02-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

Believe it or not Armando Benitez may be the last piece of the puzzle. With him in shape, the Giants are a contender. Also, the All-Star game is being played in PacBell Park, it's unlikely but possible that BBonds will make the All-Star Team this year.

It would be interesting if BBonds was hitting homers ahead of a record-breaking pace. If Selig has guts he should really make BBonds an honary member of the All-Star team. Go Giants.

Peter

Old 02-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

With Benitez the Giants will be a contender for what??? 3rd place?

Hope springs eternal. A great time of the year... Even Cub fans are hopeful.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Hi Jason,

Think Big Z was posturing. The cubs will sign him and he knows it. I do think that Zambrano's Salary demands are a little extreme, but are baseball players really worth the money that they are paid? I doubt it. It's sad when baseball players make millions without an education and school teachers make the pittance they make. I have a doctorate in Veterinary medicine and make barely six figures, but my imput to society is much more important than an athlete. But this is my take on things and others may disagree. 15.5 million a year to play a sport......rediculous. I actually played at fantasy camp for a week and paid to enjoy the experience. Players should do their sport because they love it, not the dollars. Let's play 4 today.

Ken

Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

also, I will be going to Spring training, can't wait.

Ken

Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

The Red Sox had as good an off-season as any team. As long as they stay healthy, we should have a memorable season. Now that I'm back in Maine, I'll be seeing their AAA farm team in Portland on a regular basis.

Patrick

Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Dont want to rain on your parade Patrick but its just a drizzle...Portland is AA Red Sox baseball,AAA is Pawtucket

Old 02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

My daughter lives in Maine and my Grandson just started in the Univ. of Maine (Gorham campus).

Do you happen to know if Stump Merrill still manages the Portland team.

TED Z

Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Ted,

I'm just moved back to Maine after 6 years on Cape Cod. I'm not sure who is managing the team. When I left they were a Marlin's minor league team. Hadlock Field is a great place to see a ball game!

Yes...John...I am fully aware that the Seadogs are a lower level than the Paw Soxs. Thanks for catching the error.

Patrick

Old 02-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dustan Hedlin

Pretty exciting time of the year, with spring training and March Madness not too far behind. I'll be getting to 5 more parks this year, leaving only 5 more that I haven't seen. (Seattle, Houston, Texas, Washington, NYM) My friends and I have trips planned out for Colorado, Toronto and Florida, with stops in Detroit and Atlanta along the way. Should be a great year for baseball.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BettyD

Spring Training, Yes!!!
Can't wait. Annual trek to Phoenix for my beloved A's. Have to endure seeing BZ in Halloween colors (more power to him for all the $$$$$), but will be great baseball in the sun, as usual.

Be sure to check out the Justin Duchsherer-Rich Harden Annual "Battle of the Bay" MS Charity Event after the A's-Giants Game on Sunday, March 11 at Gordon Biersch in Tempe.
Virtually all of the players (minus BB) from both teams will be there to support the event.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Goodness gracious.

My World Champion St. Louis Cardinals are right back at it...

Cardinals bang out 11 hits, beat Florida 6-3, Adam Wainwright picks up the win as the Cards score 4 in the bottom of the 7th. Baseball is back.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Adam,

Of course you were talking about spring training. But now, we're talking about Opening Day and we're talking about the Giants telling the world that they are a legitimate playoff bound team. The St. Louis Cardinals are an inspiration to every team that finished near-.500 last year. They're all dreaming that if they turned it up a notch they will be in the thick of it this year.

Go Benitez, Bonds. Go Giants.

Peter

Old 04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Guys,

On Opening Day, Tom Glavine won his 291st game. It's time to roll.

Peter

Old 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

FINALLY we get to the only real Sport. The rest are just games. Other than college hoops, and Spring training, there is nothing to read in the sports pages. Now I can open it each morning with great anticipation. Regarding the Twins owner, I have some stories, to tell over a beer. can't go into it here. I was in commercial banking in downtown Minneapolis, right across the street from him, for 23 years, and did much business with the owner and his group of banks. And worked with many of his ex employees after many of his banks were sold, and they then came to work with me at a competing bank group. I believe the word frugal comes into play.