NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Great time to buy rookie cards !!!!!

Posted By: leon

So we know a few of the HOF rookie card collectors are selling some, or all, of their collections. I changed from my focus of rookie HOF'ers several years ago, to strict type cards with an emphasis on HOF'er type cards, when possible. Is rookie HOF'er collecting not "in" anymore? Just a thought while trying not to do my regular work...

Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Hey moderator dude...

I don't think you would like the timing or content of this post if YOU were selling your rookie card collection.

Think about it.

I'm sure you will remove it in hindsight.

Of course it is still in... and hotter than ever... which is why we are selling into the bull market.

To insinuate that something is "wrong" with the cards we are selling is a little against what I thought the board was about.

We are not allowed to talk "nice" about cards that we are selling...

and in return, we kind of expect that the moderator will not try to downplay them.

Thanks for deleting

Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I tend to go for my favorite posed card, or the more eclectic stuff - - and not care about rookie status.

like these two better than their rookie cards:

for a guy like Walter Johnson...
I prefer the 1914 Cracker Jack or the M101-4 (even though not the 'rookie').

sometimes the rookie and my favorite pose do coincide...
that is the case with Ty Cobb leaning on the bat.

but for me - its all about the card itself or the pose... and not the rookie status.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I know I am somewhat of an exception to the the rule, but I have never looked upon rookie cards as anything other than another card, in a set, or of a player that I am pursuing. Especially in light of the fact that there is constant disagreement as to what constitutes a rookie card. To me, a rookie card is a players first card. Nothing more, nothing less. We all know of players that began their careers in the mid to late 20's, yet I constantly read that their rookie card is the 33 Goudey. When in fact here has been 5 or 6 earlier editions. So I guess a players rookie card is in the eye of the beholder. In addition to the fact that cards that get labeled rookie cards, get an arbitrary price hike. So to answer your question, it has never been "in" for me. Rarity and condition are my primary motivators.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

So we can't post about hobby trends if someone happens to be selling at the time?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

I didn't really take it to be downgrading the rookie HOF cards, just a discussion topic. If anything, it might encourage someone like myself who is rediscovering cards, esp. vintage, to start a collection of these cards.

RC

Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Oh please.

I have a personal crisis in my life that forces me to sell my cards and leave the hobby...

and it merits a VERY UNTIMELY discussion of whether the cards I am selling are "cooling down in the marketplace"???

Or is it the "Thanks" that a longtime contributor to the board gets on the way out???

Put yourself in my shoes with a seven-figure collection going into the marketplace... and think about how you would feel if the MODERATOR of the board just randomly started this thread.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

sorry to hear about your crisis. I wish you well (whatever the situation may be).

Let me say this whether I prefer or do not prefer the rookie card -
I realize, I believe, I know -

ROOKIE CARDS are most valuable and will always be (and should always be).

If I prefer a non-rookie card... I know that is just a personal preference

AND - I am in no way going to pay as much $$ as I would on the rookie.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

I wonder how many HOF rookie cards are on ebay right now, or in REA/Mastro. Is Leon conspiring against all of these sellers also?

Quality cards will always sell for quality prices. The market will always be strong for HOF rookie cards.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Brian:

The Moderator should not use his power to influence market prices or trends on cards that he and his friends are going to be looking to purchase.

I can't see how this could be any clearer.

Name another time when the moderator has called out a fellow board member's items that were for sale?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Just a topic to discuss....Maybe when I get ready to sell someone will say that type card collecting is coolling off....no big deal.....

Old 04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Fair point. Probably 90% or more of us that post here can't afford any of your cards Hal, so maybe I am out of my league.

My perspective? Your cards, from what I have seen, are of very high quality. I don't believe this thread will influence their sell prices. Then again, it ain't my cash on the line.

I will keep out of it. Good luck Hal.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

It is my understanding that 2 of the larger rookie collectors are selling some or all of their cards due to reasons other than they believe rookie cards have fallen out of favor.

I am always impressed with the prices that REA et al. command. I can always hope, but I don't see things being any different this time around.

Hal - Best wishes through these tough times; it does get better.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Get over it...I am another board member...I don't delete stuff everytime you tout one of your items being auctioned......do I? Give me a freakin' break....You have been a good board member for a long time and have even helped me personally on a legal question or two. I am appreciative of that. To say that this is some kind of conspiracy to drive prices down is stupid...

Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Then why not just delete it, Leon?

Why focus on calling out ONE particular type of card that is being sold at auction and talking it down?

Are N173's falling out of favor with collectors? Why is someone selling a bunch of them in Mastro?

Are T3's getting cold and stale? Why else would someone be selling their whole set on Mastro?

Come on, just STAY NEUTRAL is all I ask.

Otherwise, this board will lose a lot of credibility

Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Hal

I am sorry as well to hear about your personal situation whatever it may be. Hopefully everything will work itself out and if selling your cards helps, I hope they do great. Best of luck to you and hopefully you will still stick around the board and pop in from time to time even if you dont collect anymore.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Leon:

Couldn't this board have had the EXACT same discussion about rookie cards and their place in the market under a thread titled:

"Great Time to Buy Rookie Cards!!"

Now obviously I wouldn't expect you to start a thread like that as a "tout" for my cards...

nor would I expect you to allow me to start any such "touting" thread...

but in return I don't expect to be blindsided like I was.

You obviously can do what you want... it's your board...

but I have to leave town right now for Atlanta to support my college basketball team and will not have computer access for the next two days.

If you think it is the right thing to do to leave this thread up, then I'll know all I need to know.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Hal, it seems to me that if someone had to sell ANY vintage cards, rookies or not, this is an excellent time to do so. And I'm certain that rookie cards of hall of famers will command great prices. Don't worry. Leon's question will not affect the market. Of course, I understand your anxiety about the matter. By the way, thanks for posting images of those great cards.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Hal,

You have put together a nice collection. I'm sure it's sad to see it have to go. I know I'd be pretty depressed if I had to sell EVERYTHING. Personally, I'd probably keep one or two items just for the heck of it.

I don't collect rookie cards or first year cards of players, it's just not my thing. There are however a lot of collectors out there that do so what you have has a lot of value to them. To answer Leon's question - I'm sure Rookie (1st card) collecting is still in for a lot of people, but not for me.

I sincerely hope that you do well with the sale of your cards and I hope that you someday get the bug to get back into this. A lot of people take a hiatus and then return because it just doesn't get out of a persons system. Maybe you'll come back another day with a whole new collecting niche to occupy yourself. You've done incredible with one the Rookie/1st Card thing so maybe something else will challenge you the next time.

Take care and good luck,

Fred

Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Touche, Moderator Dude.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Sounds like you have a lot tied up right now, and an urgent situation that is adding more stress to one sale event (and my sincerest best wishes to you in getting through your crisis, and your sales), but I wouldn't give to much credit/blame to Leon's post as a potential detractor to the market (no offense meant here, Leon)

I would think his post has served to create a buzz, which time will tell.

And let me help you out here by saying that RC collecting is (and likely always will be) very healthy.

People stating that RC collecting is fading will only drive more collectors to it, and thus prices up.....what you really want is for rumors to start flying that the Government is going to start prohibiting rookie card collecting - then watch how far prices can soar!!!

To Leon's point, I would like to chime in that I don't think RC collecting is going anywhere...and certainly see no reason for it to go in any different direction or different trajectory than the collecting market as a whole.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Due to an extraordinary situation I am going to lock this thread. It was not meant to be personal or hurt anything or anyone. My timing for starting it could have been better. I really will not delete threads if at all possible. I am sorry if I offended anyone ...best regards