NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Default Zeenuts: Rare or Just Not Graded

I just picked up my first zennut - a 1917 Jack Calvo-- and I was struck by the lack of graded cards in the population reports. So I was just wondering, are Zeenuts really that rare or are they just not graded because they are so often in bad condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvo.jpg (74.6 KB, 507 views)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They aren't graded because most of those collectors don't care about grading, is my thought.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:07 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I have quite a few 1911s, 90% are not graded and will remain that way. The graded ones were already graded when I got them, I'm not going to crack them out, it would be a waste to me, as if I ever decide sell, the high grade ones are already there. I don't think they need to be graded, as they aren't really counterfeited from what I see, and the scarcity is more important to me than the condition. And most Zeenut collectors seem to be able to recognize the shape they are in without the grade. I am sure others think different, but that is how I collect the ones I do, for what it is worth.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 07-23-2015, 09:32 PM

Some Zeenuts are extremely rare / scarce.

However, most Zeenut collectors prefer their cards raw.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:48 PM
David McDonald

Andrew: Your book of (raw) Seattle Zeenuts which you showed me at the WSSCA show this past June is one of the more beautiful things I have ever seen in the hobby.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 PM
Rhett Yeakley

There are many ways to collect Zeenut cards.

Some collect them by player, team, year, and there are even some that are stupid enough to just collect all of them. I pretty much fall into the latter category and just the sheer number of cards makes it really difficult to want to have the cards graded. Luckily there aren't too many that want to collect the entire Zeenut series as they really are MUCH harder to find than most realize (especially when compared to common sets like T206).

I mainly focus on the 1911 to 1928 series but pick up cards from the later sets when I get an opportunity but even narrowing the series by a bit there are still over 2800 cards from 1911 to 1928 (not including minor variations). The sheer amount of space that 2800 cards in SGC holders would take up may require a new wing on my house so I tend to collect them ungraded.

Nobody (even Mark) has the complete Zeenut run and it's even unknown if all the cards currently on the known checklists actually still exist since some early collections (or portions of them) have been lost.

Last time I checked my collection I am sitting at roughly 2100 different of those 2800. I would hate to have to start all over again right now as there are only a finite number of these cards and they seem to be getting tougher to find as they get absorbed into collections.

Here is a link to the bulk of my cards:
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-23-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Louie Michaud

I once heard from a guy that Zeenuts were often used as gambling chips or as placemats for dice games. I guess if that's true I see why. Graded my whopping collection of 3, however. Oakland Oaks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.1 KB, 428 views)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Im looking for just one specific card and haven't seen it come up for sale (or seen it at all, for that matter) in the past 5-7 years. Some are very rare.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Marc S.

The vast majority are not graded.

The rare cards from the series are not improved, value-wise, by grading, given the preponderance of advanced Zeenut collectors to keep their examples raw.

I've purchased a few Zee's myself, and many of them have come to me graded. I'm thinking about cracking out all those that are less than VG, as the plastic is heavy and annoying. The mid-grade examples I can't justify breaking out. But then again, mid-grade in Zeenut is like minty fresh in most other pre-war issues
Old 07-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
There are many ways to collect Zeenut cards.

Some collect them by player, team, year, and there are even some that are stupid enough to just collect all of them. I pretty much fall into the latter category and just the sheer number of cards makes it really difficult to want to have the cards graded. Luckily there aren't too many that want to collect the entire Zeenut series as they really are MUCH harder to find than most realize (especially when compared to common sets like T206).

I mainly focus on the 1911 to 1928 series but pick up cards from the later sets when I get an opportunity but even narrowing the series by a bit there are still over 2800 cards from 1911 to 1928 (not including minor variations). The sheer amount of space that 2800 cards in SGC holders would take up may require a new wing on my house so I tend to collect them ungraded.

Nobody (even Mark) has the complete Zeenut run and it's even unknown if all the cards currently on the known checklists actually still exist since some early collections (or portions of them) have been lost.

Last time I checked my collection I am sitting at roughly 2100 different of those 2800. I would hate to have to start all over again right now as there are only a finite number of these cards and they seem to be getting tougher to find as they get absorbed into collections.

Here is a link to the bulk of my cards:
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/zeenuts.html
Now that is what I call an informative post, and why I like this forum so much (Rhett is usually a very, very good source of knowledge to tap)!

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 07-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Rob

For the years that have a coupon attached, I'm not sure why they grade the ones w/o the coupons. I'm not really a graded card guy and don't have a lot of Zeenut series cards, but I know they can be hard to find when you start looking for specific cards from the earlier series...here're a few..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zeenutt213bernhard302.jpg (76.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg zeenutscrandall325.jpg (74.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg zeenutsgeyer310.jpg (78.6 KB, 275 views)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have collected them and not gotten them graded as collected. When I have gone to sell them (as in now) the more valuable ones have been graded.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Steven H.

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but I was wondering who is a good resource to talk to about starting a Zeenut collection. If there are any books out or master checklists available that would be awesome as well. I'm mostly interested in starting a type collection, but can easily be swayed in many directions since I don't know a ton about them yet. Send me a PM or email, shernan30@gmail.com, if a Zeenut collector out there has some time to talk. I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area and willing to meet up if that works as well.

Steven
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas

Last edited by shernan30; 08-18-2015 at 01:59 PM.