NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Zeenut/cards project(s)

I condensed my individual scans into one, for my Zeenuts, except for my black and white HR Kisses Shinn. Anyone else do any projects with cards that they would like to share? It's a complete run with coupons (minus 1920..still looking) and a few extras that I just like....regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe137mastergroupfinal.jpg (78.1 KB, 268 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here's a collage of the 1907 Benham Indian Publishing Jim Jeffries PCs:

here are Lefty O'Doul's PC Back Exhibit, W517 and W517 mini, side by side for comparison of dimensions and cropping:

Here are side by sides of the (known) Exhibit Tommy Holmes and Larry Doby cards to illustrate the subtle variations between them:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Roland Antine

Default Roger Hooper Trial

You may remember awhile back that Roger Hooper was arrested for fraud , fake autographs, and other assorted things. There were a few articles posted here about it. His trial started yesterday. I will send you the newspapaer clipping if you want to post it. I don't know how to do that on this site. Would need your email address.
Roland
Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocuan View Post
You may remember awhile back that Roger Hooper was arrested for fraud , fake autographs, and other assorted things. There were a few articles posted here about it. His trial started yesterday. I will send you the newspapaer clipping if you want to post it. I don't know how to do that on this site. Would need your email address.
Roland
Anybody feel like we are in the Twilight Zone sometimes?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Tom Boblitt

You are entering a dimension of time and space..........
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Steve Murray

Default Leon

Hate to throw a wet blanket on your project (which by the way is very, very nice) but you're also missing the 1938 Zeenut. It was not issued with a coupon attached. Having a 1938 can only be determined by a process of elimination following the Horne treatise of known 37's and whether a player played only in 1938.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Leon, while we are throwing around wet blankets you are also missing the 1923 Sepia version which has a different expiration date on the coupon than both the 1922 and 1923 regular ones do. Essentially they re-issued 24 cards at the beginning of the 1923 PCL season (presumably because the real 1923's weren't ready yet?) and all they did is change the sepia tinting a little and change the year from 1922 to 1923 on front. The regular 1923's obviously have NO SEPIA tinting at all. This is probably THE most difficult type to find still retaining the coupon of all Zeenut years. Non-Couponed Examples below...

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 09-29-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Steve and Rhett

Steve- Above, I said it was a run with coupons. So, the 1938 wasn't in there on purpose. Duly noted and known.

Rhett- the fact there is a different date on the 1923 sepias is legit (to me) and I do need one. That was an oversight on my part.

Thanks for the info guys.

regards
leon
Old 09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Steve Murray

Default Leon

Thought since you had 1911's and 1912's (which also were not issued with attached coupons) in the array that it was intended to be a complete (-1920) run of zeenuts.

Sorry if the post offended you as it appears to have.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
You are entering a dimension of time and space..........

"Picture if you will, a man, no several men who collect little pictures of dead men.........................."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Mark Macrae

Also missing is one of the 33-36 Black & Whites with coupon. In '33 sepia tinted and black & white sets came out. You only have 3 Black & White where there should be 4. On '38's , the Hollywood players and a few of the Seals players wearing the "GGIE" patch on their uniform are the easiest cards to determine as 1938 only issues (The Mission club moved to Hollywood between the '37 & '38 seasons). The '38 coupon is a separately issued piece of paper, but is quite difficult to locate. Nice display
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Steve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
Sorry if the post offended you as it appears to have.
It takes a lot more than that to offend me. You would need to moderate the board for about 5 yrs....then you understand the term "alligator skin" and wouldn't get offended easily....No worries.....

I consider the 1911-12 and HR Kisses as sort of seperate to the years with coupons. I have spoken with Mark M, at length, about the 1937 and 1938's. On a designation note, I never understood why Burdick made E136 the designation through 1914.....then E137 from 1915 on. It makes no sense to me. But we all know that he did make some mistakes. best regards

Last edited by Leon; 09-29-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
Also missing is one of the 33-36 Black & Whites with coupon. In '33 sepia tinted and black & white sets came out. You only have 3 Black & White where there should be 4. On '38's , the Hollywood players and a few of the Seals players wearing the "GGIE" patch on their uniform are the easiest cards to determine as 1938 only issues (The Mission club moved to Hollywood between the '37 & '38 seasons). The '38 coupon is a separately issued piece of paper, but is quite difficult to locate. Nice display
Hey Mark
We were posting at the same time. Do the '33s have different dates on the coupons? If so, then yes I do need one. If not, then I don't really collect just color variations on these. And eventually I will get a '38 without coupon just to complete it, but I have never really looked for one. If I can find the '38 coupon, as issued, that would be all the better.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Jim VB

I don't care about some, West Coast, regional, old, baseball cards!

Does anybody know what's going on with Roger Hooper???

(Just kidding Leon. Very nice project.)
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Mark Rios

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
"Picture if you will, a man, no several men who collect little pictures of dead men.........................."
Jeff, hilarious....I love it!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Mark Macrae

Default 33-36 Zeenuts

Leon...The 33-36 Zeenuts are a very confusing era of Zeenuts to collect. In 1933, From all appearances, a set of 48 sepia tinted Zeenuts was released and marketed through most of the season. Keep in mind that 1933 was a tough Depression year and the number of cards in the set was severely reduced from previous years. All of the Sepia tinted cards have an expiration date of April 1, 1934 on their coupon. It should be noted, however, that cards from the Sepia set can be found with "Black & White" coupons or sepia tinted coupons. The black & white coupon version is believed to be a printing error....... Late in the 1933 season, a number of cards (believed to be 24) were released in black & white (All of the known couponed examples from this series are black & white), utilizing the same design as the Sepia set. These cards also have an expiration date of April 1, 1934 on the coupon........ The same design , printed in Black & white, was used in 1934, 1935 & 1936...(Expiration dates of 4-1-35, 4-1-36, and 10-1-36 respectively) Once the coupons have been removed, it is very difficult to accurately determine the year of issue. Several images were used during multiple years, with slight, if any cropping/printing variances. Additionally, checking rosters can be misleading, as many players depicted on Zeenuts never played for the designated club during the year of issue..... Since you are collecting one "tabbed" card from each set, the '33 Sepia and Black & white sets have been designated as separate sets for at least 40 years, so I would add one to your TYPE set. As Rhett suggested earlier, the '23 Sepias are also a separate set, but current checklists have not yet designated them that way. .... It shouldn't be too difficult to add a '33 B/W with tab, easier than the '23 Sepia or '38 coupon.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Frank Wakefield

Rhett, thanks for posting those 1922 - 1923 cards. Good explanation. I had not known of that reasoning, it seems sound to me. Thanks.