NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Default Pre-war baseball card packaging anyone?

Posted By: leon

We haven't had a packaging thread in a while so here is one....I was just putting these on my website so figured I would share. I think a W600 came in the larger one and, of course, M116's in the smaller one. regards

[linked image]

Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

[linked image]

Leon,

What is the size of the larger SL envelope? is that a fold on the bottom or could it be a flattened box?

Scott

Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Not a card package, but an envelope for the booklet

[linked image]

Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator

1884 Lawsons Baseball game

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

edited scan size

Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

It is in fact a box that has been flattened. Certainly I am not sure but I surmise that several of the W600's might have come in it, maybe 5? When "popped up" the box is about 1 inch high. The dimensions are about 6x8, that is why I think W600's might have come in it, in the first place, as they would have fit. On the back, in very light pencil (that is almost entirely erased), it says "Base Ball Players". I feel it's period pencil writing. I did a few google searches and couldn't find anything on this particular package. I got it on ebay for about $15 recently.........regards

Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

My dad picked this up for me several years ago.

Clint

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Harry Hartman Reds set

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

This is the only R308 album I have seen though I am sure more are out there. It came with some actors and actresses pasted in it. I think it had some baseball players in it, but from what I recall, I had gone in on it with another board member and he took the baseball players....leaving only a Charles Fullis still pasted in it (with some/all of the actors and actresses that were originally in it, maybe 3-5)....

[linked image]

Old 01-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Leon, I wonder if there wasn't a seperate album for the baseball stars as I would think they would have been mentioned on the cover? Great piece. Dan.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Absolutely could (probably is) one for baseball alone. This booklet only goes up to 108 spaces, numbered sequentially from 1-108. There is the one baseball player, numbered 166, and he is in a space numbered 76. Good catch.....

edited typo

Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

What size were issues of the Sporting Life? Is it possible that box was used to ship back-ordered issues?

regards.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Who is the baseball player in that spot? That is very cool!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Matt,
I spoke with Scott B yesterday and he said he thinks, but is not sure, he has a letter stating that Sporting Life had some kind of promotion at the very end, or maybe completely after, the original series' were issued, where you could get 10 W600's at once. This box could have fit that many. I think I gave the dimensions above...but it is about 6"x8", and if unflattened would be about 3/4" to 1", in heighth.

Dan- as mentioned above it is #166 Charles Fullis and is in the wrong # slot...this booklet only goes to #108...I think you nailed it as there is probably another album for baseball cards....

Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Administrator

[linked image] [linked image]

edited scan size

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank L.

Leon

Hello. I have included picture of a set of 4 Sporting Life Baseball packages I have. Unfortunately, when I got them, they were all adhered to a photo book page. I dont have the heart to remove them, they will rip.

When I bought the lot, it also included an ENVELOPE(picture included). It is an old style cellophane type envelope, very fragile.

I have read in SCD, that Sporting Life cards were obtained in the mail(in the smaller envelopes). Does anyone know if they were possibly sent included in a larger envelope(for protection). I never got to ask the owner of those pictured what the significance of the larger frail cellophane type envelope is.

Perhaps, back in 1910, if someone ordered more than one group of 12 cards, they would receive the small packages(with cards) in this larger envelope(and then inside of a typical envelope of the day).

Anyone have any ideas?

Frank L.

[linked image]
[linked image]