NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

How have George Kelly and Travis Jackson not been mentioned yet? Maybe they aren't the worst, but they're in the same room.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
A- modern stats have nothing to do with fantasy football you decrepit old man, just because you live in the past doesn't mean the rest of us have to as well

B- when your appoximate value number is next to Sims and Batkowski you are not a HOF'er now matter how you try and cherry pick

C- completion % is THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT FOR QUARTERBACKS, if you can't hit what you are aiming at, what good are you? 60% is considered acceptable under that and you are becoming a bum

D- Namath is a bum, the most overrated player in the history of the NFL anf unworthy of even a hall of the pretty good.
Completion % can be important, but is there a modern stat that covers drops related to completion %?

It's going back a ways, but I recall the moment I stopped caring about completion %. A game where Bledsoe was being ripped a bit by the announcers for having a "bad game" because he was something like 6/12....Of course they didn't mention the two passes that hit open receivers on the number and still ended up on the ground. Or the one that hit the receiver on the hands that simply didn't get caught. So he should have been 9/12, maybe better.
And do they eliminate when the QB throws the ball away?
drops and intentional throw aways are entirely different from bad passes.

And how bad was Namaths completion %? I checked a couple years. 1966, he had a 49.3% rate. The league average was 46.3 and the best team was at 52.8%
So not actually too bad.
Oh, but you'll say the entire AFL was awful.
So lets try 72?
Namath 50%
League average 51.7
Best team 59.9

Ok, so below average by 1.7% or about 4 completions.
BUT.... NO passer was "acceptable" by your standards.
That's nonsense.

Comparing eras isn't easy.

Stats in FB aren't as clear as stats in Baseball. There a player either hits or doesn't pretty much on his own. (Lineup matters, but he still has to hit) In FB many of the stats rely not only on the player doing what he should, but on other players doing their thing right too.

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 08-09-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: made something less confusing
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Nick Barnes

moving the goal posts logical fallacy.

Namath was below avg for completion % in his era you say? NOT A HOF player then.

approximate value is a good modern football stat btw and it lists him as an avg QB not good, and surely not a HOF'er, only Namath fanboys and old farts think differently and neither have an opinion worth listening too
Old 08-09-2017, 01:38 PM
H Murphy

Default Nfl

If there`s any one player more responsible for the NFL being what it is today, the most popular and profitable pro enterprise going, I`d like to know. Broadway Joe was exactly what the AFL needed and was" at the right place at the right time". Bama to New York for him, he and they basically lit the fuse and took an "air it out attitude", attitude being the key, and gave the public a different look. Stats are one thing, and they mean a lot when talking H O F, but influence and history have to be taken into account. Do I take Namath as my "go to" to win me one game, probably not. But there are very few moments in American sports lore that were more influential than the Jets/Colts S Bowl. Namath`s on and off the field approach at a time when media was very limited made him and the moment a HOF`er for me. Just my 2 cents.................
Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
moving the goal posts logical fallacy.

Namath was below avg for completion % in his era you say? NOT A HOF player then.

approximate value is a good modern football stat btw and it lists him as an avg QB not good, and surely not a HOF'er, only Namath fanboys and old farts think differently and neither have an opinion worth listening too
NO, I only did 1966 when he was above, and 1972 when he was below. Overall from what I saw of completion percentages during those years there wasn't much swing above or below average for anyone.

You picked 60% as "adequate" and in 72 only the league leader was over 60%. From 1960- 70, out of 22 league leaders only 9 were over 60%
For the entire 1960's the league average never got over 54% and that was only one year, most others were just under 52%
Unitas - never broke 60% for a season.
Bart Starr - was only over 60% 4 times in 16 years.
Tarkenton - didn't go over 60% from 1961 to 1972

So I guess they sucked too?

Get away from the calculator and watch a few games. Then YOU might be worth listening to.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
If there`s any one player more responsible for the NFL being what it is today, the most popular and profitable pro enterprise going, I`d like to know. Broadway Joe was exactly what the AFL needed and was" at the right place at the right time". Bama to New York for him, he and they basically lit the fuse and took an "air it out attitude", attitude being the key, and gave the public a different look. Stats are one thing, and they mean a lot when talking H O F, but influence and history have to be taken into account. Do I take Namath as my "go to" to win me one game, probably not. But there are very few moments in American sports lore that were more influential than the Jets/Colts S Bowl. Namath`s on and off the field approach at a time when media was very limited made him and the moment a HOF`er for me. Just my 2 cents.................

The best was watching those "old fart" NFL supporters who put down Namath, the Jets and the entire AFL eat, swallow and choke on their words after the game.

Mike
Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Mike Dugan

Not even a debate, Bud Selig, he covered up more crap than we will ever know.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:11 AM

You can compare stats all day, but if that is all you went by Barry Bonds and Pete Rose would have been in along time ago.