NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

View Poll Results: Should Private Messages (PM's) be allowed to be posted on the board?
Yes- they should be allowed to be posted. 16 15.53%
No- they should not be allowed to be posted. 87 84.47%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default A New Rule concerning PM's- Poll

There is going to be a new, written rule instituted in our rules section that covers posting PM's publicly. It is going to be against the rules to post PM's going forward. I don't see the difference between a PM and a private email (which are not allowed to be posted). I will go ahead and take a poll to get a pulse but I can't see why we should let them be posted. We say to take spats to private emails and they can't be posted. This seems to be the same type of thing....regards
Old 08-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Brian T.

So you are allowed to quote something that somebody said to you, but not what they wrote to you? Not quite sure I understand the rationale, but I guess I'm of the opinion that I don't have to read threads that degenerate into arguments.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I see PM's as just that - Private Messages. If there is an issue that someone has with a PM they got from another member it should be handled off the public board with Leon's assistance. The board shouldn't be brought into it if it is a private issue. Just my opinion.

Thanks.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Jake

What I've a pm has something incendiary, threatening or derogatory?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Al

Default PMs

Ah post them! Everyone loves a good cat fight on Net54. Im just sayin!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Then it should be sent to me and I will address it. That is my initial thought.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Quote:
Take it to Leon and he will take action against member if nessacary, was always my understanding.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Sorry I was typing when Leon answered.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
So you are allowed to quote something that somebody said to you, but not what they wrote to you? Not quite sure I understand the rationale, but I guess I'm of the opinion that I don't have to read threads that degenerate into arguments.
Brian- is it really that difficult to understand what was sent is "private?" I don't think I am following your logic.

Of course there won't be any rule against saying what someone said to you verbally but then whoever is saying that does have to have their name by it and is liable for what they are quoting. I think the board is going to agree with this rule per the voting. We shall see....
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Then it should be sent to me and I will address it. That is my initial thought.
Fair enough.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM

I say keep it private. IMHO the personal attacks and fighting on the board just harm the board anyway and drive people away. It keeps people from posting on even the benign threads out of fear of what it will become. I think there is way too much personal stuff and fighting already and any attempt to scale it back is a good thing for the community. I have heard so many really knowledgeable and level-headed people who could make a great contribution here tell me that it is just not worth it for these reasons.

That said, though I would presume privacy, I would not write anything in an email or PM that I would not be comfortable with others seeing. People just don't respect privacy anymore.
JimB
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I say keep it private. IMHO the personal attacks and fighting on the board just harm the board anyway and drive people away. It keeps people from posting on even the benign threads out of fear of what it will become. I think there is way too much personal stuff and fighting already and any attempt to scale it back is a good thing for the community. I have heard so many really knowledgeable and level-headed people who could make a great contribution here tell me that it is just not worth it for these reasons.

That said, though I would presume privacy, I would not write anything in an email or PM that I would not be comfortable with others seeing. People just don't respect privacy anymore.
JimB

I disagree in a certain respect for the personal arguments. Some arguments are needed, ones that bring attention to certain issues in our beloved hobby. Even the personal attacks sometimes are like a train wreck, hard to watch, but you can't turn away.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Voted no, they should not be posted.

If something crosses the line it should be forwarded to the moderator.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Jeff P

I was taught a long time ago that you NEVER write something and send it to someone that you don't want the entire world to see. As Mr. Goldin has found out, this applies to appearances on TV as well ;-)

I think if the Net54 rule has always been that emails are private, then PMs should be private as well. However, I don't particularly like this decision / thread being spawned because of a likely complaint by a Net54 advertiser. At least the perception of this is that the tail is wagging the dog which doesn't sit well with me.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post

JimB
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default I Voted No

They call them private messages for a reason.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I disagree in a certain respect for the personal arguments. Some arguments are needed, ones that bring attention to certain issues in our beloved hobby. Even the personal attacks sometimes are like a train wreck, hard to watch, but you can't turn away.
Personal arguments don't help the hobby, other than letting the rest of us know who the a$$#oles are by the way they present themselves. I'm not saying stop shedding light on fraud or other unethical activity in the hobby. I'm saying leave the petty personal stuff, the immature stuff, and the unsubstantiated claims out.
JimB
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I was taught a long time ago that you NEVER write something and send it to someone that you don't want the entire world to see. As Mr. Goldin has found out, this applies to appearances on TV as well ;-)

I think if the Net54 rule has always been that emails are private, then PMs should be private as well. However, I don't particularly like this decision / thread being spawned because of a likely complaint by a Net54 advertiser. At least the perception of this is that the tail is wagging the dog which doesn't sit well with me.

jeff
i can personally attest that this came up this morning in a conversation between me and Leon after I had asked him what the rule was; it was definitely not the result of Leon giving in to pressure from an advertiser.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post

jeff
This thread was in fact spawned by the Goldin thread but not for ONLY this thread. That being said this rule probably should have been implemented the same day the "no posting of emails" rule was put in place. Hobby changes and board changes are evolutionary imho. As far as not liking something....join the crowd .

And more than anything Peter is correct and I will allow him to post our emails if he wants to, to prove it.... it was definitely our emails more than the exact thread that warranted this new thread/rule......
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the memorabilia side too

This was posted on the main forum, card side, but I want everyone here to see it too. I copied this and have never copied a Poll before....so we will have to see how this works out.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Christopher Williams

Although I voted that PMs should be kept "Private," in one instance I was happy that TyrusRCobb posted a PM he received from another Net54 member in reference to me.

AdamTyrus.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-13-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

I agree about not posting PM's. When it gets to a point that I feel I need to post something that was intended to be private, then it means my efforts to diffuse the situation have failed and I need to just ignore the person. So far this has worked well, but I understand that everyone is different.

On other forums I've seen the posting of PM's, chat logs, emails turn forums into a pathetic battleground. In two cases I've seen (or heard of) HOBBYISTS from such battles actually meet in person, and the result was time in jail. Everyone would agree that the thrill of expressing your anger to someone who you have no respect for is certainly not worth going to jail. Is it even worth the angst that you end up feeling for a moment, or hours, or days?

The crap going on in real life, is enough crap.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Although I voted that PMs should be kept "Private," in one instance I was happy that TyrusRCobb posted a PM he received from another Net54 member in reference to me.

Attachment 71421
Who could possibly have sent that PM to Tyrus about Chris?
Jerry Lewis?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Eddie Murphy.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Jim M.arinari

Can PMs be PM'd?