NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Valida Back Paninis???

Does anyone know why Valida back Panini cards exist? Were they in the regular Panini packs or did they have there own packs/set? Were they just released in a certain geographical location if they were their own set? How rare are they, or does it differ year to year. What years do they exist in (I know they are in 1966 and 1967 but not sure other than that)? I try to collect only rare Heavyweight Champ rookie cards, which means I try to stay away from Panini cards for the most part, but these Valida cards seem to be some of the rarest cards in existence (at least according to the population reports). I would love to know why they exist as a subset and how rare they actually are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a 1966 Sonny Liston Panini rookie which, according to the population reports, will be the first one ever to be graded. I have the chance to buy a few more Valida backed cards but I would like to learn more about this issue before I invest heavily in to it.

-Tom
Old 02-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Arthur R!ch

Tom, I don't think there's enough data to accurately gauge how tough the Valida backs are compared to the normal backs. If I were guessing, I'd say somewhere in the 10-20% range, depending on the year. You can't just go off the pop reports as I've seen graded Paninis with Valida backs that weren't identified as such on the slab.

They were issued in packs along with the normal back Paninis, some sort of contest I believe.

I know there are Valida backs for 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 69-70, 70-71, and I'm pretty sure the 71 Olympia as well (although I'm not 100%). I wouldn't be surprised if the other 70s sets had them as well, I just can't confirm that.

The 68 Tuttosport did not have Valida backs but they had Regalo backs, which were roughly the equivalent of Valida.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Thanks Arthur. That really helps my cluelessness on the Valida backs. For value would you say they are about 2-3 times as valuable or closer to 5 times (20% of the normal aeries) the value of a normal Panini?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Arthur R!ch

I wouldn't pretend to know. It depends on so many variables, mostly who is looking at the time and who sees them. I've seen them slide by for nothing and go through the roof other times. I don't look for them any longer so I've no idea what they've been selling for lately. Good luck.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Actually I just read about the Valida backed cards. It turns out that there were one of these cards in every pack of four cards (so 25% originally) but the Valida backed cards could be sent in for prizes. Many of the prizes cost 100+ points (100+ Valida cards). As an example a leather football cost 300 points (300 Valida cards). So my guess is that Valida cards are actually a lot rarer than we think, especially in the less famous, or less liked boxers. This explains why there are 6 Valida backed Cassius Clay cards graded by PSA, while there are currently zero Sonny Liston Valida backed cards graded by PSA. People kept their Cassius Clay Valida cards while they sent in their Sonny Listons. There may be some Valida backed cards in PSA holders with out the Valida on the label but I would have to think that before they were ever sold that they would be re-slabbed. I can't imagine that there are that many graded Valida cards in regular slabs, mainly because graded cards are mostly owned by collectors that would know the difference in value.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Arthur R!ch

I think the reason there are 6 Cassius Clays and zero Listons is because of current market demand. I doubt anyone in Italy in 1966 gave a rats ass about saving any particular American fighters.

I'd venture a guess that if they saved anyone it would be popular Italian arhletes at the time.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Kevin S.

Tried for a long time to have PSA identify the various backs. After awhile I just gave up. They just started a few years ago, so there are many slabbed with no
back identification. At the time GAI would, so I had a few graded there. My understanding is that the Tuttosport Regalo is a bit tougher than the tough Valida. I have several boxers from various years and the Dimaggio.

Kevin Saucier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968_dimaggio_FrontBack.jpg (58.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1967_Panini_backs.jpg (36.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1968_mira_backs.jpg (41.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM

I asked the same question over at the psa board and got the same answer. I don't the po report is the best indicator for the ratio because I know psa only started to recognize the different backs over the past few years. I just randomly discovered a 64 pele that I got a few years was a Valida back but it's not noted on the slab. That being said I have only seen one nice Ali Valida back and it's in a bgs 7 slab but not noted on the flip. Most of the ones I have seen for sale have back damage so if you are collecting for condition... I think the 66 Valida back is one his more difficult in a high grade.