NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 PM
Paul Stewart

Default Opening Day

As a teacher on spring break, I was thinking of going to opening day. I live in Roseville near Sacramento and was looking into heading to Oakland for the A’s game. I talked my dad and sister into going with me and we are going to park at a BART station which will take us right to the ball park. So as we were looking into getting tickets, we found that the seats we want for opening day are $56. Game 2 is the first night game and they are charging $33 but every other game those same seats sell for $25. Wow, over 120% price increase for opening day. Is this normal? This is a last place team with a triple A lineup(JK). So my sister decided to order the tickets on the phone. They wanted a $35 processing fee for the 3 tickets. Really? Online was the same thing. Do other teams and other sports price gouge like this? I get that playoff and championship tickets go for extremely high amounts, but should opening day also carry a hefty price tag? To be honest, I don’t expect this game to be a sellout. Am I off and this is the norm? Maybe too many Sac. Rivercats and Stockton Ports games have put my expections at a different level. Anyways, we are going to head down anyways and purchase the tickets at the park. We may not get seats in the same area, but saving the $35 should allow us to get a few hot dogs and sodas. Thanks for reading my rant.

Paul
Old 03-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Ryan

O’s tickets are priced similarly, but I don’t recall the crazy fees.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Bob Andrews

Astros began bumping their OD prices a few years ago. This year they are ridiculous (which I understand given that they will be showing off the trophy, rings, etc.) What is unfortunate for me this year is the Orioles are the opening homestand opponent after years of coming into Houston right around Memorial Day. I've never missed an Orioles game in Houston but I won't make it for the opener this year. Love my Birds but not $325x2 worth. That's all I've seen available after the season ticket holder gobbled them up on a presale.

Ticketmaster/mlb.com fees are very high. I usually get tickets at the Astros box office walkup windows on off days and avoid the fees.

Semi off-topic.....I think the first team I was aware of to have tickets for the same seats priced according to the opponent was the Mets in the mid-60s. Tickets for Dodger and Giants games carried a premium over all others. That hacked off my best friend's dad who always took us to see the Giants at Shea.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:14 AM
je.sse @rnot

I looked into Dodgers tickets for opening day and the cheapest seats were over 100 bucks. In the bleachers. Well over double what a normal game would cost. I don't really care that it's opening day either, just a convenient day to go while family is in town. I'd much rather pay 50 bucks later for a decent seat.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:54 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I can get Marlins Opening Day tickets for about $30. Thank you, supply and demand.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 PM
je.sse @rnot

Bit the bullet and got Dodgers tickets for tomorrow. Should be fun. At least now I'll be able to say I was there for an opening day.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Ben North

I also notice prices changing for the same exact seats for the Rockies depending on opponent.

Last edited by bnorth; 03-29-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 PM

I know its nice to order tickets ahead of time but seriously if you go to the Coliseum day of you'll get some pretty cheap tickets guaranteed. I used to live in SF and thought the same thing: why are these so expensive? But if you buy in person you don't pay the fee obviously but also the prices get way cheaper as it gets closer to game time. And you can comfortably bet the game won't sell out.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Bill

I live in Cincinnati and it's not the ticket prices that keep me away from Opening Day, it's the always guaranteed crappy weather (either rain or snow).
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 PM

I used to go to Orioles games vs the Yankees with my family and about ten years ago they started premium game pricing, which included Yankees and Red Sox. Mets and Phillies started around the same time. A few years later the Pirates started doing the same thing and at that time they were one of the last teams to join in the premium pricing.

So yes, it's standard, and fees increased every year with the Orioles tickets. We paid a little bit more for the same seats every year for about five years before we stopped going.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS