NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Phil Garry

Default Hake's Pick-Ups

Congratulations to Hake's Auctions on another outstanding effort last night. Once again, some incredible prices realized for Negro League items.

This time I was fortunate enough to pick up one lot, the 1937 Ray Dandridge pair of photos (not sure what I am going to do with the one showing just his legs though). I was also the underbidder on two other lots, the '39 Santurce postcard and '35 Monarchs photo, which was my biggest want in the auction. Just couldn't pull the trigger to go one increment higher. Based on the prices of the premier team photos, I doubt that one more bid on my part would have made a difference anyway.

An astronomical price on the Punch Pete Hill card, seems that these cards may now be the hottest thing in the entire pre-war BB card market.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-09-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 AM

Phil
Why do you think that particular Cuban card is so in demand? Do you think because too few of these and several collectors that really want them as part of their collection?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 AM
Barry Sloate

65K for the Pete Hill must be a record for a Cuban card. Richard would have been astonished by that price. He knew his card collection was valuable but never was one to spend much time thinking about it. He often told me he had these amazing cards in his safe deposit box, but what exactly was in it was always a mystery. I'm sorry he is not around to see this.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Phil Garry

Yes, only one or two of the Hill and Mendez cards are known to exist (as well as many of the others players in that set, a Bruce Petway just went for over $20K) and the Negro League market has become a new hotbed for some big time collectors with lots of capital at their disposal.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 11-09-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Fun auction. First time I was the underbidder (1st loser ) in every single lot I bid on. More money for Heritage.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Al Jurgela

Default Only 3 Pete Hill cards

There are only three known Pete Hill cards if you are a HOF collector. One Cabanas, and two punches. You could still make a case that this is a low price if you went off the "market cap" discussion that I posted a few months ago.

Regardless, it was too rich for me for sure and it appears that I will need to be happy with the punches that I have as it is unlikely for me to procure others - at least now and at these prices. I may even consider selling some here.

I picked up the Santa Clara photo and the Billiken Mendez and a few odds and ends including the boxing red sun cards and the mexican uniforms.

I was shocked that I did not get the DiHigo award (1286) where I was the underbidder and the Petway Cabanas.

I am just shocked at the prices though. Factors higher than I would have guessed on a number of items.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljurgela View Post
There are only three known Pete Hill cards if you are a HOF collector. One Cabanas, and two punches. You could still make a case that this is a low price if you went off the "market cap" discussion that I posted a few months ago.

Regardless, it was too rich for me for sure and it appears that I will need to be happy with the punches that I have as it is unlikely for me to procure others - at least now and at these prices. I may even consider selling some here.

I picked up the Santa Clara photo and the Billiken Mendez and a few odds and ends including the boxing red sun cards and the mexican uniforms.

I was shocked that I did not get the DiHigo award (1286) where I was the underbidder and the Petway Cabanas.

I am just shocked at the prices though. Factors higher than I would have guessed on a number of items.
Congrats - I almost went after those uniforms as well - very nice items.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I was also the underbidder on two other lots, the '39 Santurce postcard
Thanks for throwin' me a bone, Phil!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001_big.jpg (77.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Phil Garry

Sorry to bid up the price on you, Ken. It wasn't really a fit for my collection but I understand the value of a Josh Gibson career contemporary postcard and knew that it was a steal at the $3,300 level that it sat it for most of the auction.

Congrats on the pick-up, glad you got it!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Phil Garry

As Al mentioned, for what it's worth, the Punch Pete Hill is not a Rookie Card as the Cabanas pre-dates it by one year. That being said, there is no doubt that it is a phenomenal card and I would have loved to win it.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

My son was watching me bid last night and asked if card collectors are only multi-millionaires.

Funny. Not me. But I do feel sort of honored that you guys will rub elbows with middle-class America
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Sorry to bid up the price on you, Ken. It wasn't really a fit for my collection but I understand the value of a Josh Gibson career contemporary postcard and knew that it was a steal at the $3,300 level that it sat it for most of the auction.

Congrats on the pick-up, glad you got it!
Thanks, Phil! Yeah, I'm pretty excited to nab Gibson, especially something during his playing years. And for MUCH less than his Toleteros. Actually, I'm fairly pleased with the price, though this sets a new personal high for me. But what the hell... it's Josh Gibson!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Phil Garry

Ken:

At the current going rates for Negro League material, I would say that the price was more than fair, you should do well with that one if/when the time comes to sell.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Ryan Christoff

There were actually some deals to be had in this auction. Not by me, of course. But some things went for less than I was expecting. The Billiken Mendez went for about half of what I thought it would.

There are 3 examples of the Punch Hill, by the way.

Congrats to everyone who won.

-Ryan
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Hake's would like to thank all that were involved. We have another great batch of items ready for our next major auction, currently set for March. We may also have a mini-Merkin online-only auction in Dec. Details to follow.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I am continually amazed by the collection that Merkin put together.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I just love the Hake's catalog. Most of the items are things I'd never even dream of collecting, which is what makes it so interesting. I picked up a couple of items, but nothing approaching the NL stuff. I am envious, fellas, of those Cuban NL cards. At least they're in the "family". Enjoy!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.