NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2016, 07:20 AM
Jim McKinley

Default PSA August Special - Is it Special?

I recently joined PSA's Collectors Club and just got my first batch of cards back (some good, some disappointed). I have another 50-100 cards that I might want to get graded down the line.

The August "Special" for PSA is:

- $8/card
- $100 max value
- 30 day turnaround

I lack the context to know if this is "special" or not. My gut says it is not very special and, as I am in no hurry to get things graded, to wait.

Thoughts? Is there a specific time of year that the pricing tends to be better?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Scott Russell

Certainly not their most attractive offer ever. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that with the national they are swamped right now so they don't really need to offer a great deal at the moment. pretty much all spring they had $6 and $6.50 specials.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-07-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Dave H@rford

Jim,
Your question really depends on what you are grading. What I mean is, if you have 100 1990 Topps cards to grade, infrequently there are $6/card specials for those years (usually break at 1956 and above), at 50 business days. You can also submit with the "bulk service" at $7/ card for 50 days (for all years). If you are grading 100 T206 commons, finding specials for these years are tougher, sometimes $7/card, or use bulk. The only real benefit of the current $8/card special is:
1.If you only have 10 cards regular size and 10 tall boy size and you don't think you will get to a 25 or 50 card minimum that most specials need
2. You can't stand the 50 business day bulk or special and are willing to pay an extra $1-2 for a 30-day return.

Hope this clarifies the mud,
Dave
Old 08-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
Jim,
Your question really depends on what you are grading. What I mean is, if you have 100 1990 Topps cards to grade, infrequently there are $6/card specials for those years (usually break at 1956 and above), at 50 business days. You can also submit with the "bulk service" at $7/ card for 50 days (for all years). If you are grading 100 T206 commons, finding specials for these years are tougher, sometimes $7/card, or use bulk. The only real benefit of the current $8/card special is:
1.If you only have 10 cards regular size and 10 tall boy size and you don't think you will get to a 25 or 50 card minimum that most specials need
2. You can't stand the 50 business day bulk or special and are willing to pay an extra $1-2 for a 30-day return.

Hope this clarifies the mud,
Dave
It's a repeat of last month. Not really "special" at all. Wait for greener pastures.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Ed Woelfle

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL1944 View Post
My gut says it is not very special
Trust your gut instinct here
Old 08-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Steven Finley

August Specials are never going to be the best with the National Week kicking it off.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 AM
Arnie

Who decides value? On the $100 max value deal, if you have a card you think you could sell for say $200, what if you "value" it at $100 to get the deal?
Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

I joined for the first time several months ago. In addition to the 15 freebies I already had graded, I've got about 80 more cards I'd like to get graded. I'm waiting on the right time to jump on it. I've been keeping track of monthly specials since I joined. See below:

April - $5.75/card, 25 min, $100 max value, years 1960-2000...same deal for 1959 and earlier except $6.25/card. Also a $7/card no minimum, $150 max, all year special

May - $6/card, 25 min, $100 max value, 1956-present..same deal for 1955 and earlier except $6.50/card. Also had the same $7/card special as april.

June - Same first two specials as May ($6 for 1956-present, $6.50 for pre-'56) but the third special was $20/card all years, no minimum, $250 max value

July - $8/card no minimum, all years, $100 max value. Also a ticket grading special

August - same as July with the addition of the $20/card, $250 max value offered in June.

So my opinion is April has been the best special so far.

Also, in reply to the previous question about max values. My understanding of it is that you value your cards at what you think they're worth (use SMR, eBay sales, Beckett, whatever...). If they get lost or damaged, PSA's liability is capped at your declared value. So I wouldn't worry too much about submitting a card that you think would sell for $150 on the $100 max value special, but sending a $500 card might be pushing it. It's my understanding they'll grade everything you send on the specials but if anything's damaged or lost then you may have a problem.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
Who decides value? On the $100 max value deal, if you have a card you think you could sell for say $200, what if you "value" it at $100 to get the deal?
There is more misinformation about this topic than, I think, any other with regards to grading.

There are tons of people who believe if you don't value a card high enough you won't get a good grade.

The value is strictly what you would like to receive to replace the card should it be lost or damaged. If you low-ball yourself you are playing with fire, but it has NO bearing on the grade.

I have been submitting to PSA for a LONG time and have never noticed any correlation between valuations and grades. My last submission I valued everything at or below $500 which was more than enough to protect my investment. I got back a 1965 Topps Mantle in 8 (will sell for somewhere around 3k) and a Seaver Rookie in 7 (will sell for around 1k) I always set my value at an amount I need to protect myself if the unthinkable happens, NOT at a value I hope they achieve.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-11-2016, 04:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I have even see many say put down the value of the card as you would expect to pay for it (or did pay for it) raw, as it's basically a replacement value.

I have heard that if you do something egregious, or the cards get grades that move them way out of the value cap, that PSA will upgrade those cards to the proper service level so that they get the right insurance amount when sent back to you. But they will email/call you before that.

I put it a solid raw replacement value on my cards, and I've never had a problem.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Thank you! As I prepare my first two submissions, I was wondering that very thing. If I hope a card is a 9, but know it could come back a 8 or even lower should I value it to my belief or if I value it as a 7, will it affect my grade with them thinking I don't believe in the card?

Based on your answer, I'm thinking too damned much! Which sadly is normal for me. I had even tried to find answers on the exact process to try and find out if the graders even know what valuation you gave. I couldn't find anything. But what you said makes sense. I know they have someone check in your cards, inventory them and enter them into the system. Don't they give them #'s so the graders don't even know whose cards they are grading?

I do have question about centering and the exact process. Does anyone know how they measure, what they use, etc? I've been using a rigid metal ruler with cork on the bottom and using mm and a spreadsheet to get the ratio. I've tried to guess in 1/4 mm increments if it wasn't exactly on the line. Am I on the right track? Anyone know that process?

The reason I check the centering is because I may not submit a card if it doesn't qualify. for example, a 1985 McGwire Olympic card. In a PSA 10, it's selling for good money. In a 9, not so much. I don't want to submit one that is automatically a 9 before it even gets to the grading.

Lastly, and maybe this deserves its own thread.... What are people's thoughts about choosing "no qualifier" and allowing them to do a straight grade? I have a few high end cards that to me are 8 or 9 quality, but the cut/centering is such by my measurements it could be no higher than a 7. It seems to me, that a really nice straight 7 would command more than an 8 or 9 (OC). I'm talking mostly 50's and 60's vintage and yes, max value is important to me as some of these may be sold. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
There is more misinformation about this topic than, I think, any other with regards to grading.

There are tons of people who believe if you don't value a card high enough you won't get a good grade.

The value is strictly what you would like to receive to replace the card should it be lost or damaged. If you low-ball yourself you are playing with fire, but it has NO bearing on the grade.

I have been submitting to PSA for a LONG time and have never noticed any correlation between valuations and grades. My last submission I valued everything at or below $500 which was more than enough to protect my investment. I got back a 1965 Topps Mantle in 8 (will sell for somewhere around 3k) and a Seaver Rookie in 7 (will sell for around 1k) I always set my value at an amount I need to protect myself if the unthinkable happens, NOT at a value I hope they achieve.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If it qualifies as a 7 without a qualifier, they won't give it 8(OC). They would probably give it a 9(OC) unless you request no qualifiers, presuming the card is mint otherwise. I would rather get a 9(OC) than a 6 if they determine the centering deserves a 6. I'd rather have the highest registry score on my cards, and figure that resale value will fall in line.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:25 PM

I'm glad someone posted this because I have been weighing on offering up special PSA pricing to the board, but I didn't know what kind of demand there would be or what service levels/pricing you guys would prefer.

I know there are people who don't care when their stuff gets back and then there are some who are just living and dying by every second their card isn't in their hands.

I'd like some feedback on this so feel free to post further on here or PM me. I may end up starting my own thread on this as well.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 PM
J!m Be@m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnichols View Post
I'm glad someone posted this because I have been weighing on offering up special PSA pricing to the board, but I didn't know what kind of demand there would be or what service levels/pricing you guys would prefer.

I know there are people who don't care when their stuff gets back and then there are some who are just living and dying by every second their card isn't in their hands.

I'd like some feedback on this so feel free to post further on here or PM me. I may end up starting my own thread on this as well.
Can you be more specific as to how you are "...weighing on offering up special PSA pricing to the board,....". Why and how can you do this? Sorry if I am missing something. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
Thank you! As I prepare my first two submissions, I was wondering that very thing. If I hope a card is a 9, but know it could come back a 8 or even lower should I value it to my belief or if I value it as a 7, will it affect my grade with them thinking I don't believe in the card?
I have heard on here, time and time again, don't get your hopes up.

Many have said, if you think your cards are 8's or 9's then they'll like come back 6's and 7's.

I have never sent any in but I have seen grades all over the map so it's best to set your expectations on the low side so your not as disappointed.

I noticed this card tonight, and although I know scans don't always tell the whole story, this one, like many others from PSA, left me again scratching my head?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-3...042?rmvSB=true
Old 08-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Horsehide View Post
Can you be more specific as to how you are "...weighing on offering up special PSA pricing to the board,....". Why and how can you do this? Sorry if I am missing something. Thanks.
I have access and ability to submit on an account that has pricing that's much better than what is normally available to the general public and no minimum amount to submit for the pricing/turnaround times and the card value requirements aren't as low i.e. max of $100 card value for their "specials" doesn't apply to what I have.

I've extended special pricing for BGS/BVG to several members here recently with good success so I've been thinking about doing the same with PSA.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
I have access and ability to submit on an account that has pricing that's much better than what is normally available to the general public and no minimum amount to submit for the pricing/turnaround times and the card value requirements aren't as low i.e. max of $100 card value for their "specials" doesn't apply to what I have.

I've extended special pricing for BGS/BVG to several members here recently with good success so I've been thinking about doing the same with PSA.
I'm open. PM me with options when you decide what you want to do.
Chris
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Understood. I've tried like hell to temper my expectations and hope I am being overly critical in most cases. Most of my cards will fall in the 5-7 range I believe. The only way to learn is send them in and see what happens, but I do completely understand what you are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I have heard on here, time and time again, don't get your hopes up.

Many have said, if you think your cards are 8's or 9's then they'll like come back 6's and 7's.

I have never sent any in but I have seen grades all over the map so it's best to set your expectations on the low side so your not as disappointed.

I noticed this card tonight, and although I know scans don't always tell the whole story, this one, like many others from PSA, left me again scratching my head?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:31 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

The top and bottom borders are, 70-30, 80-20?? Hard to tell but the card looks to be cut on an angle. Looking at the card, the left border seems to taper a bit, from bottom to top. Well, over a decade ago, I submitted a 63 Fleer Koufax which I believed to be a 7 or 8. It came back a 5. I was shocked. I purchased a loupe and notice the imperfect corners and surface scratches that could not be seen with the naked eye. It was a fair grade, tough, but fair.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:38 AM
Tony

Quote:

I would be interested with several hundred cards if available. PM Me
Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
The top and bottom borders are, 70-30, 80-20?? Hard to tell but the card looks to be cut on an angle. Looking at the card, the left border seems to taper a bit, from bottom to top. Well, over a decade ago, I submitted a 63 Fleer Koufax which I believed to be a 7 or 8. It came back a 5. I was shocked. I purchased a loupe and notice the imperfect corners and surface scratches that could not be seen with the naked eye. It was a fair grade, tough, but fair.
Like I mentioned, scans don't always tell the whole story, but I have seen, imo, numerous times, way to many inconsistencies.
The way I look at it, which could be off side thinking, is, if a card is such that you need a loupe to see defects, it should grade higher than cards that don't need a loupe.

These cards, for example, which are fairly recently graded, it is easy to see the inconsistencies but they graded higher than Sleater?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frank Shea PSA 5.5.jpg (78.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle PSA 7.jpg (77.5 KB, 77 views)