NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2002, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default T205 BACKS - Help Please!

Posted By: runscott

I know there is expertise in this area, and I'm willing to gather it up and create a multipliers list. I can only assume by the lack of response that no one wants to see such a list. Let's talk about it - what are we afraid of?

Old 03-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

What are you looking for here? Lew's book, and many other references, give the list. I am not at home so can't throw the list out this second. A multiplier list is given in the SCD too? Might what you are doing already have been done?......just getting it going here......regards all

Old 03-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Lipsett's guide gives general scarcity info. Also, if something like this is already in VCBC, please refer me to the issue - I'm missing a few so perhaps I overlooked it. Also, since we've had so many questions about this in the past, simply posting a source for multipliers would answer all questions, so let's have it! (Thanks)

Old 03-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRIAN

Hey Scott

Here's my best guess from rare to common.

1. Drum
2. Hindu
3. Broadleaf
4. Cycle
5. American beauty
6. Polar Bear
7. Sovereign
8. Honest long cut
9. Hassan
10. Sweet Caporal
11. Piedmont

I haven't handled near as many of these as I have T206's, so I'm sure others will correct this list, but you have to start somewhere.
I think most people would agree on the top 3, but 4&5 could switch positions, as well as the remaining common backs. I look forward to seeing everyone else's list. be well brian

Old 03-23-2002, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Old 03-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am not home right now to check but I am almost positive the big book (SCD) has multipliers for the t205 backs in the same exact places as the t206 backs....regards

Old 03-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

1. Drum 15x-20x
2. Hindu 3x-4x
3. Broadleaf 3x-4x
4. Cycle 2x
5. American beauty 2x
6. Polar Bear 30%
7. Sovereign 30%
8. Honest long cut 30%
9. Hassan 30%
10. Sweet Caporal
11. Piedmont

I think these are close except for the Hindu. I would love to buy any at 3x-4x guide!!! I hope this helps.
Trevor

Old 03-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRIAN

Hey Trevor

Thanks for adding the multipliers to the list, and I agree I will buy all the hindu's I can find at 3x-4x. 7x-8x is probably a closer multiplier, I never see these, but do see quite a few broadleafs, which are supposed to be just as rare.

be well brian

Old 03-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian K. Hodes

I have the backs indexed for my (very near) set of T205s that I am forever (it seems) upgrading. In terms of scarcity I come up with this in order of most common:

1. Piedmonte
2. Sweet Caporal
3. Hassan
4. Sovereign
5. Honest Long Cut
6. Polar Bear
7. American Beauty
8. Cycle

I don't have any of the others, but I do have a blank back.
In terms of premiums or multipliers for price I really haven't seen any consistent evidence of ANY for at least 1-6 above.
The Polar Bears tend to defeat themselves in terms of added value because they usually suffer from product stains on the reverse.
The Hassans for some reason (elaborated by Lipset among others) go along with some of the variations in the set so they do have some added value. But I believe that this is caused by the variations, not the fact that the cards are Hassans.
The added value on 7 & 8 is generally at most 150% although even sophisticated sellers really don't seem to expect much extra for these backs. In fact the only sellers who tend to even reference this on Ebay are those who simply parot the price guides.
Because I am not generally a rare back collector I cannot comment on the other companies although I do see more of Broadleaf than the others (Hindu etc.)
I guess my overall comment would be that T205 collectors are mostly indifferent to the companies so that the few interested in rare backs only really drive up prices on the most rare ones -- otherwise supply seems to satisfy demand for all but the most scarce reverses. The price guides seem to assume that the relative scacity of say Piedmont to Sovereign or Honest Long Cut (well over 3:1) must translate into some price premium on the scarcer of the two (ie a multiplier). It doesn't because most T205 collectors are indifferent to this relative scacity.

Sorry to ramble.
I hope this helps.
Brian H.

Old 03-23-2002, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I remember seeing the t206 multipliers in the SCD catl'g and completely ignoring them because they didn't take the "series" or factory desginations into account, nor red vs brown hindu, black vs brown lenox, etc., so it was fairly useless to me. The premium listed for t206 Hindus was 1.25 to 2x, which certainly doesn't follow the market. Also, I'm more interested in actual scarcity, rather than premium (value) multipliers.