NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: Jason Carota

Hello!

I have been lurking (and learning) here for a time and finally decided to introduce myself.

As a kid, I collected baseball cards from 10 years old until I was about 14. It took about 12 years (now 27 years of age) for me to get back into collecting. I have my wife to thank (believe it or not) for bringing me back. At the time, she booked a series of card shows at a local hotel she worked for. I decided to go to one of the shows and from then on, I was hooked (again.) I started off with modern stuff (as I had done when I was a kid.) As of the last 6 or so months, however, the vintage bug has taken hold of me. Although my current collection does include a good amount of modern cards, pre-war issues are slowly taking precedent.

More specifically, I have been captivated by the T206 set. My goal with T206 is to accumulate as many as I can (realizing that a complete set is not going to happen.) As of right now, I try to focus on acquiring cards that feature any of the following:

a) Have strong eye appeal to me
b) feature Boston players
c) feature HOF'ers
d) have interesting backs (Polar Bear is my favorite)

Along with the above, I tend to focus on lower grades (i.e. SGC/PSA 3 and lower.)

Although T206 is my pre-war focus, other sets I enjoy include E90-1 American Caramel and E92 Nadja/Croft's/Dockman.

Thanks for reading! If anyone is interested, my Photobucket i.d. is jay1065 (all T206 found in Vintage/T206 directory.)

Old 12-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: steve f

Hey Jason. Are you from Beantown?.. Good luck on the set

Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: Shanon

I also just joined the board recently, welcome. I hope you find this a good learning experience also.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: Scot Reader

Jason,

Welcome! Consider yourself lucky for getting back into the hobby at 27. I was 36. If you would like to learn more about the T206 set, you can download my e-book at the below link.

Scot Reader

http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/t206.asp?cardsetID=699

Old 12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: John S

Welcome aboard.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: Jason Carota

steve f: Not Boston proper, about a half-hour north.

Scot: That is an amazing guide you have created. I printed the pdf version and put it in a binder a few weeks ago.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: Scott L

another guy bidding on those crappy 1 to 3's that I like! Just kidding, welcome aboard Jason. I collect in the exact same grade range as you, I feel you can make an attempt at a really nice T206 set whilst (had to) concentrating on cards in the 1 to 3 range. I was told early on to keep it about eye appeal.

The amount of knowledge I have about T206's could fit in a pinhole compared to most on here. At first I was hesitant to ask questions for fear of having them labeled dumb but I've come to realize there are very few dumb questions and almost everyone is willing to lend a hand with an opinion or story.

Best regards,

Scott

Old 12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: joe brennan

Dammit, More competition for the T206 in grades I can afford. Oh well, I suppose a welcome is warranted.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Welcome, Jason. And welcome, Shanon.

This is a great place to learn about old ball cards, especially the white border set. There are several guys on here that are quite knowledgable... And you have to skip over some of the bickering. But this is a grand place. Praise be to Leon!

Frank W.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Default New guy here

Posted By: barry arnold

Welcome aboard Shanon and Jason.
A great place to be for T206's et al.
all the best,

barry