NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Default I am not a PSA basher...but?

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

I got back into the hobby in 1982, and you got back according to your figures in 1987, the year I got my Doyle.
We definitely experienced the hobby differently.
Your perception, and my perception of the hobby, are totally different.
While you were watching ungraded quality lots go without bids, during that period I was busy putting together two T206 sets.
One set is just missing one card from the known list. ... and that set would knock your raw quality eyes out.
The other set is now down to 9 cards.
It's my beater set, and I love that set more than the quality looking one.
Every one of the cards in that set shows me character, character conveyed by every previous collector owner.

Jim, it's apparent that we traveled in different circles, or maybe it's the location?

What area do you live in?

Jim, let me go to sleep.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, .. I'm a bat.
I sleep upside down in one of my corner ceiling.

Have a great one.
Joe P.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Joe,

Nice to hear your story.

I live in north central NJ and commute to NYC each day.

Jim

Old 03-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

I just checked the BBB about PSA! Where is the "F" that was mentioned? What I just saw was a "B" Grade....

But the write up for them just makes the "B" meaningless, or maybe an "F"!?

This is what it read: (And I am not bashing, just passing info )

Complaint Experience
Some complainants allege the company fails to return items sent in for authentification, and in some cases deny ever receiving the item. Other customers complain that the company fails to provide services as agreed, returning itenms without explanation as to why they are determined not to be authentic. Some complainants allege items sent are lost, misplaced, or that the company replaces the high quality items sent in, with lesser valued items before returning to the customer. A few customers complain the company misrepresented the value of cards they purchased, and found after spending considerable amounts of money, a second opinion determined the item as worthless. Most customers report they experience difficulty contacting the company to resolve problems, claiming calls are not returned, and voice-mail or e-mail messages are not answered.

The company responds to some complaints by offering explanations, or by directing complainants to review their policies which are posted on the website. In cases where items are missing or lost, the company asks for proof of delivery, registered tracking numbers, copies of submission forms, check numbers used, dates checks were posted, and any other documentation that might be associated to the transaction, advising the complainant the information will be taken under review, and resolution will depend on the information provided. The company addresses some complaints regarding purchased items by advising the complainant they do not engage in the sale of sports memorabilia, and they must have confused them with another company. The company disputes most allegations, and refunds or credits are usually not issued.

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

In January, PSA received an "F". Someone must have used a lot of influence and persuasion to have gotten it to a "B" just in the last week. I was doubtful and visited the BBB site only a week ago and it was still an "F" then. Here is just one of the articles to verify the rating at that time. It was probably damaging their business. Can the BBB be sued? Maybe someone at Collectors Universe turned the heat up on the BBB?

http://autographalert.com/news.html

Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I was one of the owners of this card between Pete and the current owner. From what I could tell, the card seemed to be trimmed (at least by my amateur eyes), and when I traded it away, it was disclosed as such.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

George,
I totally believed you when you said they recieved an "F" from the BBB. Funny thing is that the write up for their "F" is the same as their "B" write up... It's like buying a PSA 4 in a 6 holder without seenin it. When you get the card you wonder who the grader was and were his mind was at the time he made the decision.
The write up tells the story for what the company really looks like! Changing a "F" to a "B" in the window of the store doesn't make it a PSA 6, ahhhh, I mean an "4"...It just means we really need to see the card first, and also read the write up!
Funny thing is, I just decided to renew my perscription for PSA....Did I say perscrption...I meant Subscription ...---... Help Me!

Life is so Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Denny, I understand completely. I do a lot of business with PSA myself, so it doesn't do me any good to publicize their shortcomings, but I was astounded when I read the BBB report. Someone at PSA must have negotiated with BBB just in the last week or so to raise their grade to a "B".

Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Check out my post "BBB ratings and PSA."

I love trashing bad companies on BBB when they deserve it. Validated bad ratings stay with a business for a long time as they should.

I've never heard of anyone being able to pay or coerce BBB into improving ratings. A business I was involved with jumped from an F to a B+ because we were able to prove an error on the part of BBB. They improve their own credibility by correcting errors and standing by confirmed bad ratings.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Wow, old posts! I forgot I had sold a Chase Red Cross in a PSA authentic holder which SGC later graded a 60 or 70 Maybe I should have posted this in the "regret" thread). Oh well, we all live and learn. That which does not kill us makes us stronger to paraphrase Nietzsche.