NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

1. Whitey Glazner
2. Hal Chase
3. George Stovall

I look for Ruth, Hornsby, Collins, and Johnson more than for any other HOFers, but I've never accumulated very many cards of any of them since I pretty much always prefer the rare card of a common player to the common card of a great player given that the cost is the same.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Joshua

How about a rare card of a great player. The funny thing is there are many cards of great players that are rare and not nearly as expensive as their most popular cards with a much larger pop

Last edited by joshuanip; 02-19-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

That would be better, but most of my favorite cards have a population of 1.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Kyle May

OP: Does the question refer to quantity or quality?

To be more specific, are you asking who people collect multiple copies of on a regular basis, or who people target the most, picking up cards when they can (either due to scarcity or affordability, etc.)?

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
Curious who others are collecting. And need help on if my list looks right and who are the last 2.

1) Babe Ruth
2) Ty Cobb (although I don’t have one)
3) Lou Gehrig
4) Walter Johnson
5) Christy Mathewson
6) Honus Wagner
7) Cy Young
8) Tris speaker (also working on getting one)
9) ?
10) ?

Of course I would add Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio but they played after WW2
As to who to add to the list, some good players already mentioned, I can't think of any better.

As for the question of "who others are collecting"
I like/collect Ruth, Cobb, Young and rare type cards , only not to the extent as before. Eventually I will end up with a really nice Ruth Goudey #144 (have sold a few really nice ones but want one a little better) but probably not an 8, my pocketbook is more 5-6 range. Will upgrade my T205 Cobby from the nice 4.5 I have. And I have the E90-1 Young spot filled. From the population of graded ones it is fine
My 3 faves....maybe in that order.

Last edited by Leon; 06-06-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Brendan Mullen

Joe Jackson and Hal Chase
Old 06-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Joe Jackson and Hal Chase
Hey there! I also collect Chase. If you have anything you'd like to sell/trade, let me know! Nice to see another collector of Prince Hal.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2018, 02:57 AM

Jake daubert ,heinie groh, Miller huggins
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Though he doesn't have a ton of cards Jim Thorpe cards are popular.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I can only summon a Top 3, but..

Cobb
Foxx
Collins
Old 06-03-2018, 03:25 PM
I@n Cl@rke

1) Cobb
2) Mathewson
3) Ruth
4) Wagner
5) Gehrig
6) Johnson
7) Young
8) Alexander
9) Hornsby
10) Speaker
Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I kind of think that Mathewson isn't as collected as these lists suggest. His "name" is right up there but it seems to me that his card values seem to run lower than those of WaJo and Cy Young...which has always seemed odd to me given his place in the game and popular culture during his career.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
I kind of think that Mathewson isn't as collected as these lists suggest. His "name" is right up there but it seems to me that his card values seem to run lower than those of WaJo and Cy Young...which has always seemed odd to me given his place in the game and popular culture during his career.
Matty might actually be my number #1 most collected player. I’ve got more (34) than Cobbs (25), but per your comment, his cards are a just a bit lower price than WaJo, Young. He’s almost in his own little pricing tier, above guys like Speaker, Lajoie, Collins, but well beneath Cobb, Wagner, Joe Jax.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:28 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Matty might actually be my number #1 most collected player. I’ve got more (34) than Cobbs (25), but per your comment, his cards are a just a bit lower price than WaJo, Young. He’s almost in his own little pricing tier, above guys like Speaker, Lajoie, Collins, but well beneath Cobb, Wagner, Joe Jax.
Indeed. Just in his own era he would rank 6th I would say. That wouldn't include Ruth or Gehrig or Anson or Kelly or Delahanty.

I would say Matty is borderline top 10 for most collected pre-WW2 players. Which to me doesn't really do him or his stature enough justice. I doon't know if it has to do with his SABRmetric stats, but if it did, GC Alexander would be more collected and he is not. So I'm not quite sure what the deal is with Matty.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Indeed. Just in his own era he would rank 6th I would say. That wouldn't include Ruth or Gehrig or Anson or Kelly or Delahanty.

I would say Matty is borderline top 10 for most collected pre-WW2 players. Which to me doesn't really do him or his stature enough justice. I doon't know if it has to do with his SABRmetric stats, but if it did, GC Alexander would be more collected and he is not. So I'm not quite sure what the deal is with Matty.
Agree, it doesn’t do him justice, and seems odd. He’s got a lot going for him— played the bulk of his career in NY as the highest profile pitcher of the era, WS hero, perfect image/reputation, and the absolute perfect look. Maybe it’s partly influenced by the fact that the Giants moved to SF? As an SF Giants fan, I’ve always collected the old NYGs, but perhaps others do not? NY collectors have the Yankees, and then of the teams that moved, I’ve gotta think the Dodgers are more collected than the Giants. I feel Philadelphia A’s like Collins, Grove, Foxx, Cochrane, Simmons also get short changed, perhaps in part because there is no longer any real direct tie with that team.

That said, as a Matty collector, I like that he has so many nice looking and attainable cards. No way I’d have as many as I do if they were in a higher price tier, or if he were included in fewer mainstream sets like Alexander.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:20 AM

Hal Chase

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk