NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 AM
D0NN1E B

Default Does the stock market affect card prices?

Watching the stock market the last few weeks has been a bit frightening. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the price of cards during a downturn in the market. Do/would people quit collecting and maybe even start selling in a bear market?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:16 AM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Watching the stock market the last few weeks has been a bit frightening. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the price of cards during a downturn in the market. Do/would people quit collecting and maybe even start selling in a bear market?
I certainly hope so!! Would love to upgrade a number of Mantle's on the cheap haha.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:42 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I haven't stopped collecting, just slowed down quite a bit.

In addition to the stock market, I happen to work for an oil and gas engineering company and our industry looks very gloomy for the next year or so. I'm on a project that wraps up in early Spring, but I don't know if I'll have a job after that. There are no new projects coming in. So that, along with the stock market downturn, has put a damper on my spending lately.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Garth Guibord

I think I remember seeing some sort of index for the top 20 modern football cards somewhere (sportscollectorsdaily.com, I believe). It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the stock market (or other market indexes/indicators) and the sports card markets. Anything done would need some sort of selection, whether it's the football card index or something else, but whatever the result, it would be very interesting.

Wish I had the math skills to figure it all out!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

I wasn't really collecting then but I believe values in general went down during the last recession. I would expect the same during a major market correction. I would not expect card values to go up and down with temporary fluctuations in the stock market. If they do I will certainly be looking to add a few cards. I imagine there are people who collect and trade and would consider selling their collection of they lost too much in the market.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-14-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The market must be completely bullish right now, because Dean's Cards just keeps raising their prices even higher.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:02 AM
D0NN1E B

Thanks for all the thoughts. Looks like today could be a rough market day too. With my own enthusiasm for spending on cards dwindling with each down market day/week I wondered how many like hobbyists felt the same way.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
I think I remember seeing some sort of index for the top 20 modern football cards somewhere (sportscollectorsdaily.com, I believe). It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between the stock market (or other market indexes/indicators) and the sports card markets. Anything done would need some sort of selection, whether it's the football card index or something else, but whatever the result, it would be very interesting.

Wish I had the math skills to figure it all out!
... and the time to sort through the data. I think there are value bubbles for some cards and/or era of cards, for various reasons, and more or less steady inclines for others...just a hunch really.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Steve

Default Harbinger?

An old cartoon saved from a late 1980's magazine (Reagan-Bush era market crash):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1980's Stock Analyst.jpg (64.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:21 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
An old cartoon saved from a late 1980's magazine (Reagan-Bush era market crash):
funny cartoon..

basically the stock market losing billions of dollars cant be good for the hobby....can say if its bad or not..but no way going to convince me that its good...

especially if goes down another 20 percent...I just bought collectors universe (PSA company) on friday..i figure ill go down with the hobby literally if the market goes down more.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-16-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:09 PM

I believe high end hall of fame rookies will retain their value and could still go up if the market goes down.
In the past high end hall of fame rookies retained their values when the stock market went down.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 01-16-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:00 AM

I say none because how many times has the stock market gone down since 1980?
The good sports cards will always have value. I don`t see the stock market affecting Babe Ruth, or Michael Jordan rookie card market.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASEBALLCARDGURU View Post
I say none because how many times has the stock market gone down since 1980?
The good sports cards will always have value. I don`t see the stock market affecting Babe Ruth, or Michael Jordan rookie card market.
right 'the good sportscards' we had this discussion before...how many exactly is that......there are going to be the cards on the fringe that some think are 'good sports cards' and but most others think they aren't that will get hammered since only 'the good sports' cards will always have value..

that's the key...its still not good for the hobby when only the 'good sports cards' have value since 99.9% of cards out there aren't 'good sports cards' including most of my collection

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-17-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Al Richter

Default A Guru

Thank goodness we finally have one on board, Welcome
Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

stock market getting destroyed again..

I do think the big big cards will always have those rich people. high grade mantle/wager etc...but for the guys that make 100k-500k etc....good lucky getting them to pay 15k on a card if they are down 40% in the savings in the market etc. until the market rebounds.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-20-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

1952byntoncollector I totally agree with you. Market recessions greatly effects the middle working class vintage collector. Along with investors highly tied to the oil industry during this decline in crude. To me slabbed vintage cards of big name stars, especially rookies, and rare scarce cards graded 7 and above (PSA/SGC) are commodities that will continue to rise. Their will always be a heavy hitter to grab them up at any cost. I however could foresee a downturn in mid level to lower graded cards. Idk great discussion either way :-)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
D0NN1E B

I think the market put in its bottom today... Up from here. So let the buying continue!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My research for my boxing card book indicates that card markets tend to lag the stock market by about a year. Specifically, the market for boxing cards stayed reasonable until about mid-2009, when it started dropping, and it dropped until fall 2010, when it bottomed out. The rebound similarly has lagged the market. That said, I think the better correlation as to all but the really expensive cards is the labor market and possibly the real estate market. When employment is strong and real estate is rising--as is the case over the last year or two--cards do well. Classic lower-end luxury goods.

One strategy to consider if you don't want to spend big on cards: modern. There are some beautiful sets from 1984 on from which you can get HOFers for less than a cup of coffee. And also the Topps heritage issues and tribute issues. They might not increase in value but you can collect and enjoy them guilt-free.

Another one: 1970s. I'm a kid of the 1970s, so my heart is with the good old Topps issues from the era. You can collect all but the top RCs on the very cheap, especially if you are good with nice looking 5-7 level cards. Even 8-9 from the late 1970s are really cheap right now.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-21-2016 at 10:29 AM.