NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default the price for these Goudeys amazes me

Posted By: dennis

i just can't believe people have this kind of $$$ for common cards(only because of the grade)

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86843&item=5137793258&rd=1

i'm gonna try to get this one for $4,400.00 less

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86847&item=5139830184&rd=1

[edited to fix links & title]

Old 11-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

that's just unbelievable - I wonder what the book price on that card is at Near Mint? I would imagine it's a whole hell of a lot less than this...

Old 11-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

And, suffice it to say, money is no object to him. Although such a price may seem absolutely crazy to average Joe collector - I know that this individual, at least, has an annual collecting budget that exceeds most salaries. He's a very nice - easygoing guy - and he has the money and passion to aggressively pursue that which he collects.

I'm not making the same collecting decisions he is - but I am not begrudging his ability to do so.

In my mind - I would almost always rather see someone "overpay" for a tough vintage common card than looking at some of the coin that is being thrown around in the modern card market. Heck - even autographs. Have you seen that ARod and Bonds are doing a private signing in NYC where $1,050 buys you one autograph of each person?!

~ms

Old 11-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

Is that the scan, or is that some sort of nasty junk around the edges of the card's reverse? Is that normal for these Goudeys? Is that what a PSA 8 Goudey should look like?

Morrie

Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

There certainly is not always much difference in quality between a low graded card and one graded much higher. Although not much difference in quality, sometimes there is significant difference in price.

While I can understand the philosophy that only the best quality card is good enough; I wonder if occasionally too much emphasis is placed on a card's grade. Certainly a PSA8 Goudey common is just that - a common card.

This is what I do not get. If only the best will do, then why settle for a PSA8? The only answer which I have is that the PSA8 is a budgetary comprimize, much like the collector who buys a lower graded card - in order to allow sufficient budget to get more cards.

Or maybe it is a comprimize based on the potential wisdom that grade rarity is not accurately defined by population reports, and may never be. So, to purchase a PSA10 Goudey common you may still be buying a common card. Or paying a substantial premium which may eventually prove to be unwarranted based on the actual grade rarity.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Gilbert,
There are no PSA 9's or 10's for most Goudeys. Nm-mt is the best available in most cases. My Goudey set is about vg/ex-ex, but I can appreciate why people would want a pristine condition vintage set or cards. I have some from other tobacco and caramel sets. I don't know what it is that inspires me towards higher grade cards in some instances and not others.
JimB

Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

JimB:

On this consideration one has to go with his heart, since truth is not readily available.

My heart says that although there are not many certified Goudey PSA9s + 10s, there still are many top grade uncertified sets of these cards which have been put away.

Because of this, I would not pay a substantial premium for a low population high grade Goudey. And in my humble opinion a set of PSA8s do not constitute a top grade set; eventhough they may represent one of the highest graded sets.

Of course I have no evidence to substantiate my opinion. Therefore, feel free to discount it. But I betcha.

Gilbert

Old 11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PASJD

I personally believe very few of these cards from 70 years ago survived in strictly Mint condition. That said, I am also skeptical of many of the graded 8s, given all I have read and heard about restoration and based on what my gut tells me. For example, it's funny how there was NEVER a NM/MT 52 Wehmeier until PSA came along, and all of a sudden (after someone paid 20K or whatever for the first one) more and more magically appeared.