NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Default DiMaggio matchbook

Posted By: David B

I just saw a matchbook for sale today in an antique store with a picture of Joe DiMaggio on the cover and the words "DiMaggio's Grotto", along with something to the effect of "visit this unique restaurant". It looks to be from the 40's or 50's. They wanted $42 for it. Has anybody seen anything like that? Thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

They've been fairly available for a number of years. I've seen them frequently at various shows. So I don't think an overly tough item. Price-wise, no opinion. Perhaps someone who collects matchbooks will chime in.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

These are pretty common and $42 sounds like a bit too much for that item unless it's a full matchbook.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom D

Did the matchbook still have matches inside or was it just a matchbook cover? There are a few different style matchbook covers from DiMaggio's restaurant. The covers can usually be had for around $10, a little more for ones that still have matches.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Dimaggio had a place at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, and there are a few promotional items floating around from that establishment (mostly the matchbooks, menus, baseball shaped pens, etc.) It wasn't a very nice establishment as far as I know.

The matchbooks can be found on Ebay anywhere from $8-$15 and typically you see them around $25 elsewhere, in so-so shape. If the matches, and the strike were intact, and in particularly good shape then it might command more. You'll also see matchbooks for a Dimaggio's bar that one of the brothers owned. I just recently got a Grotto matchbook off ebay for only $4.99 and the coolest part was the seller shipped it in a Havana Honey's tin. Something about getting a baseball related item in a tobacco tin that makes it extra special.

Incidently, a new Italian Chop House opened up using the Dimaggio name about a month ago. It's located in the North Beach district of SF, in what used to be Fior D'Italia. It looks like a Houston's with the Pottery Barn style leather and dark wood...and as expected, every wall has giant photos of Joe D. I'm sure he's rolling in his grave.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

A guy I know started the DiMaggio's in SF. He also owne McCovey's and Bing Crosby's in the East Bay, both of which are awesome. The food is pretty good, but the atmosphere (hundreds of GU bats, jerseys, balls, etc. at McCovey's) is unparalleled.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

yeah, i just glanced inside (i own property just right up the block, actually) but i didn't notice any dimaggio collectibles with this location - just the photos.

if the reviews are any indication, it's going to be one of the top steakhouses in the city (not that they have tons of competition) once they work past a few issues.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David B

Thanks for the info. The matchbook was in a locked case, so I didn't get a good look at it. The whole matchbook was there, but I couldn't tell if there were matches inside. If matchbooks can be graded, I'd call it a VG at best. Usually items at these antique malls are overpriced, so I figured this matchbook was probably overpriced as well. From your comments, it sounds like I was right.