NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Heritage winnings anyone?

Well...It was kind of an impulse buy but a beautiful image anyway. Type 1 rookie Mel ott by mr Charles conlon

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-05-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Got the 1913/1914 Pittsburgh Pirates official scorekeeper scorebook. Could not believe it went as cheap as it did. 150 games pretty much all with Honus Wagner plus visiting players like Joe Jackson Mathewson maybe Thorpe. Love it. Plus the scorekeeper who recorded the games has a tie in to the T206 Wagner. That is an added bonus.

Tom C
Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Scott S

I got the 1916 White Sox panoramic, with 6 Black Sox on it including Shoeless Joe. I was surprised to be the only bidder on it!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's what I came away with... Heritage didn't picture the original Balfour Artwork that accompanies the 1937 WS Press Pin. As a result, I think it snuck through lots cheaper than it might have otherwise.

I was bitterly disappointed to lose out on the 1914 Braves Pennant. I had already cleared a giant space for it on the wall (in my mind anyway... not physically). It is probably the nicest (and biggest) felt pennant in existence.

But it realized over $10,000.00 and the winning bidder appeared to have no limits. I really hated to bow out... hope it goes to a museum or other public venue in which people can view it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heritage4.jpg (68.7 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg heritage1.jpg (64.5 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg heritage2.jpg (72.4 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg heritage3.jpg (72.5 KB, 571 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Belltown Vintage

Very happy to win this catcher's mitt:

"This is the mitt my father used to catch me when I was a kid--13-16 years old--on our farm near Van Meter, Iowa. It was this mitt he was using when I threw a fastball in 1934 that hit him in the chest and broke three ribs, as described in Time magazine April 19, 1937." - Bob Feller

Last edited by Runscott; 05-05-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Got the 1913/1914 Pittsburgh Pirates official scorekeeper scorebook. Could not believe it went as cheap as it did. 150 games pretty much all with Honus Wagner plus visiting players like Joe Jackson Mathewson maybe Thorpe. Love it. Plus the scorekeeper who recorded the games has a tie in to the T206 Wagner. That is an added bonus.

Tom C
Tom, that was a superb deal. I was bidding live today, and was so happy winning the glove shown above, that I forgot to bid again on the score book.

VERY nice pick-up!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 AM

Default Heritage win

I was very happy to pick up Johnny Vander Meer's personal copy of his 1938 Players Contract with the Reds from the Seth Swirsky collection. This was the year Vander Meer threw consecutive back-to-back no-hitters.

An interesting side note is that I actually now own two Vandy 1938 contracts:

It's not widely known that Vandy had TWO contracts in 1938. The one that I purchased early last year was issued in January, 1938 and was a monthly contract for $500 a month. The Reds let Vandy know that if he was still on the roster by the All star break that they would issue him an annual contract. By late May it had become obvious that Vandy was pitching well enough in 1938 to warrant issuing the second contract. As a show of good faith, Warren Giles tore up the monthly contract that Vandy started out the year a month early and issued him the 2nd contract for $4,000 a year. This was the contract that Seth Swirsky owned and I just won. It's pretty neat because it preceded his unprecidented back-to-back no-hitter feat by a couple of weeks and marked the acknowlegement that he was a bona-fide major leaguer and was there to stay...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-05-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

"This is the mitt my father used to catch me when I was a kid--13-16 years old--on our farm near Van Meter, Iowa. It was this mitt he was using when I threw a fastball in 1934 that hit him in the chest and broke three ribs, as described in Time magazine April 19, 1937." - Bob Feller

Scott,
That's an awesome glove to own. Definately a museum piece, to say the least. Congrats on your pickup!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Scott,
That's an awesome glove to own. Definately a museum piece, to say the least. Congrats on your pickup!
Thanks Scott. Nice contract pick-up as well. It's interesting to hear the stories behind these pick-ups. Mine was a no-brainer - last weekend my Dad was talking with me about what it was like to catch a 90+ mph fastball when he was catching my brother. I know he still has that mitt.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Scott, great pickup and story. Your Vandy collection is sizing up to be second to none.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 PM

I had lunch with Scott and his son yesterday, and that's what I referred to it as. Something for a museum. Definitely a historical artifact.

And at the downtown coffee shop afterwords, Scott literally had his computer open to the live Heritage bidding.

I didn't place a bid. Just a coffee.

Last edited by drc; 05-05-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I had lunch with Scott and his son yesterday, and that's what I referred to it as. Something for a museum. Definitely a historical artifact.

And at the downtown coffee shop afterwords, Scott literally had his computer open to the live Heritage bidding.

I didn't place a bid. Just a coffee.
I apologize for getting on the computer - the item I was looking for was the 1913-14 Pirates scorebook mentioned earlier in this thread. Very glad it went to someone who will appreciate it.

I have also been thinking more about that 1907 Pirates photo I picked up through Heritage yesterday. Rather than messing with re-mounting and taking a chance on damaging the photo, just going to leave as-is and add a nice mating and frame.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Phil Garry

Very nice pick-up on the Pirates photo, Scott.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks Phil. Photos are about the only things that slip under the radar any more.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1971 Ali vs. Frazier Press Packet. Here's a fine-condition example of the press kit given to reporters to promote the 1971 Heavyweight Championship Match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier at Madison Square Garden. The kit is in remarkable shape, with the outside folder showing a brown sepia-toned image of the two fighters, with a Frazier autograph across the middle. The folder is in Very Good condition; the contents, including six 8.5x11" pages of contracts and another 19 pages of biographical information about the fighters and the sport, are essentially NRMT, as are eight 8x10" black-and-white publicity stills of the two fighters. A more unconventional aspect to the kit are four advertising mats used for reproduction by newspapers and magazines of the various fight posters; these are essentially untouched, save for a bit of corner wear. There also are four 8.5x11" proof sheets so that the clarity of reproduction can be checked and ensured, and these are virtually as pristine, save only for a bit of wrinkling at the top because two of the sheets are 1/2" longer than the others. Pre-certified by PSA/DNA. Auction LOA from James Spence Authentication.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 AM

No need to apologize. I wasn't criticizing.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Josh Margolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here's what I came away with... Heritage didn't picture the original Balfour Artwork that accompanies the 1937 WS Press Pin. As a result, I think it snuck through lots cheaper than it might have otherwise.

I was bitterly disappointed to lose out on the 1914 Braves Pennant. I had already cleared a giant space for it on the wall (in my mind anyway... not physically). It is probably the nicest (and biggest) felt pennant in existence.

But it realized over $10,000.00 and the winning bidder appeared to have no limits. I really hated to bow out... hope it goes to a museum or other public venue in which people can view it
I was the under bidder on the tigers piece. Would go great withy my other Jennings items. I ended up winning the very next lot though, the tigers photo supplement.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
1971 Ali vs. Frazier Press Packet. Here's a fine-condition example of the press kit given to reporters to promote the 1971 Heavyweight Championship Match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier at Madison Square Garden. The kit is in remarkable shape, with the outside folder showing a brown sepia-toned image of the two fighters, with a Frazier autograph across the middle. The folder is in Very Good condition; the contents, including six 8.5x11" pages of contracts and another 19 pages of biographical information about the fighters and the sport, are essentially NRMT, as are eight 8x10" black-and-white publicity stills of the two fighters. A more unconventional aspect to the kit are four advertising mats used for reproduction by newspapers and magazines of the various fight posters; these are essentially untouched, save for a bit of corner wear. There also are four 8.5x11" proof sheets so that the clarity of reproduction can be checked and ensured, and these are virtually as pristine, save only for a bit of wrinkling at the top because two of the sheets are 1/2" longer than the others. Pre-certified by PSA/DNA. Auction LOA from James Spence Authentication.
Adam, that's an amazing lot - congratulations!

That fight was the first sports event that I ever gambled on. Lost $1
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
No need to apologize. I wasn't criticizing.
Yeah, I know, but personally it's disappointing when I'm spending time with someone and they are on the phone, etc., so I try not to be techno-rude.

I basically spent all morning watching the HA live event on the computer (and bidding), right up until walking out the door for lunch. Then as soon as I got home, right back on the computer - fell asleep during the hockey stuff. Wouldn't it suck if you fell asleep and accidentally bumped the 'bid' button on a Jeter jersey?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Did anyone here win lot no. 81279 - "Early 20th Century Baseball Horde"? It featured "four or five dozen baseball cabinet photographs" - which I wasn't interested in, so I was easily outbid.

As a footnote to the lot, however, was a scrapbook (mainly family photos) of pitcher Bill "Lefty" James, of the 1912-14 Indians. Lefty died in 1933. My brother-in-law is pastor of the Methodist church in Wellston, OH, where Lefty lived and is buried. Lefty's family has absolutely nothing left of his (makes me wonder where this scrapbook came from - maybe a previous generation parted with it. I was hoping to win this lot, with the hopes of being able to return the scrapbook to the family (especially since it was virtually all family photos).

If anyone here won this lot for the photos, and would be willing to part with the scrapbook (for a reasonable price), please contact me. I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM
GaryPassamonte

I was happy to win this CdV album with a beautiful baseball CdV photographed in New Mexico in 1867. This Baseball CdV is from the western most state I have ever seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jjjj.jpg (42.3 KB, 306 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Barry Sloate

Gary- that's a great CdV. Can you post a larger picture of it?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Jeff

Default Shaving Mug!

I was able to win this shaving mug. It will look very nice on display in my office.

Circa 1900 Baseball-Themed Occupational Shaving Mug. For those unfamiliar with the term, the "occupational shaving mug" is an artifact unique to the late 19th and early 20th century, when it was common for gentlemen to get their shaves at the local barber. Each patron had his own shaving mug, which was left at the barbershop on a shelf and used only when he would visit the establishment. Very often the patrons would pay an artist to have his name and an image of his profession handpainted on the side of the mug, and these mugs have become very popular with collectors of Americana for the simple, charming look they offer into the former owners' daily lives. Among the scarcest and most desirable of all occupational mugs are those celebrating our burgeoning National Pastime. This high-grade example features great crossed bat and ball imagery at center of golden flourishes, with the golden name of the owner below. No apparent maker's marks. No damage to note.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mug1.jpg (18.7 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Mug2.jpg (16.9 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Mug3.jpg (15.3 KB, 291 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Jeff

Default Babe Ruth Knife

I also won this knife from the 1930's.

1935 Babe Ruth Quaker Oats Premium Pocket Knife. Issued in 1935 by the "Quaker Oats" company, this green variation pocket knife features a facsimile signature from baseball legend Babe Ruth. Measuring at 2.5", it remains uncracked, while exhibiting moderate oxidation throughout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Knife.jpg (11.8 KB, 290 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM
GaryPassamonte

Barry- I'll post a larger image when I receive the CdV and scan it. I'm not adept enough to enlarge this picture.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default let me help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Barry- I'll post a larger image when I receive the CdV and scan it. I'm not adept enough to enlarge this picture.
here ya go....nice cdv's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg albumjpg.jpg (71.3 KB, 287 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Coachdude...

I was under-bidder on the Shaving Mug. I think you got it for a terrific price. Normally, I would have hung in longer, but this lot came so early (within the memorabilia segment) that I had to conserve for the upcoming barrage. It's a great piece, and tough to find them in such great shape... congrats!

It's funny to converse with the people who bid above/below you here, but also kind of cool to see who won what

Last edited by perezfan; 05-07-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:36 AM

I agree. It's rare to see an 1860s baseball photos from that far west. Usually the East.

Perhaps you could contact a New Mexico historical society or library and they'll publish the photo as the earliest known photo of New Mexico baseball. Would be neat to have published distinction/documentation for your CDV, and probably would enhance to the value.

Last edited by drc; 05-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:53 AM
GaryPassamonte

Thanks, Leon.
David- I will do some research on the image. Your suggestion is appreciated.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Jeff

Default Thanks Perezfan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Coachdude...

I was under-bidder on the Shaving Mug. I think you got it for a terrific price. Normally, I would have hung in longer, but this lot came so early (within the memorabilia segment) that I had to conserve for the upcoming barrage. It's a great piece, and tough to find them in such great shape... congrats!

It's funny to converse with the people who bid above/below you here, but also kind of cool to see who won what
I know what you mean about saving money. There was so much in the auction that I would like to have had. I'm going to have too ask my wife for an increase in my allowance.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
$cotty @.utin

I was able to win the 1935 WS ticket. Almost all the items are outside my budget, so I have to pick one and hope I get lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 World Series.jpg (69.9 KB, 405 views)

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Barry Sloate

That's a great baseball CdV, nicely posed.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

A couple of odd 1927 Yankees items, belonging to member of the team. If anyone has a hi-res scan of a real cover, I would love to use it to make a 'new' cover:
  • coverless World Series program
  • Spring training itinerary with Ruth drawing by player

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post

Tom C
I just bid on this in the SCP auction and unfortunately lost; in hindsight I should not have backed off. I hope it pops up again soon
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Amazing piece with true historical significance! That belongs in a museum. You have the Real Roy Hobbs father's glove. It doesn't have a lightening bolt on it does it?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Amazing piece with true historical significance! That belongs in a museum. You have the Real Roy Hobbs father's glove. It doesn't have a lightening bolt on it does it?
Thanks Mike - I read your above post right after posting a pic of this in the pre-rookie thread. I don't have the room in my place to display anything really, but if I ever get a 'man-cave', this will be one of the centerpieces.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:44 PM

pm sent
Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Default Heritage Auction

Wow, looks like some great items. I bid and lost
Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 10-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.