NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Two thoughts:

1) Has anyone contacted law enforcement yet?

2) Does anyone actually think any of these signed T206s are real? Having a personal financial stake in them being real does not make them so.

Time to get a prosecutor involved and put some pressure on the crooks.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Ahhh, finally! I've been looking for that one.

List updated.

SAME, Pat has the eye....must be from scouring the web for all those plate scratches.

GREAT WORK PAT!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
An eBay ID, potential name, address and current active business is known. I am sure it will be posted soon. It makes total sense now.

(cues Jeopardy music)
Turd Ferguson...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
SAME, Pat has the eye....must be from scouring the web for all those plate scratches.

GREAT WORK PAT!
I have given out the info I have to Pat R and other parties to help in this endeavor. I just don't think making the info public at this moment is the right thing to do. But the info is disseminating nicely. I have asked each party to keep it to themselves for now. Thanks to all members who are helping with this.

And to answer Jeff Ls questions, Law enforcement has been notified by myself and at least one major AH.

And on the other question, I think at least a few of the authenticated autos have to be good, right? Y'all know the old blind squirrel anecdote.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:06 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Better take a picture of him signing that card because that is the only proof worthy nowadays.
Might want to make that video...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Chris B.

I was looking at some of those Marquard's. So happy I got cold feet.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Here's the Jesse Tannehill.

Attachment 335937
Thanks for this. I was already going to send mine back to REA, but this means whatever lingering doubt I had can be cast aside.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-30-2018, 02:19 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Might want to make that video...
True. Maybe the next wave of TPG autos will have a QR code that leads you to the video proof of the signing,
Old 11-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Powell,

As you know, the Speaker was mine. I know it was owned by a collector here in Oklahoma prior to me purchasing it from Goodwin Auctions. I saw a scan of it on sportscollectors.net around 2008, so I know it’s history at least that far. I don’t personally know the prior owner, but Robert Taylor is a fellow collector here in Oklahoma and he knows him. I believe Robert told me that the prior owner has purchased it over 30 years ago. I can’t speak for the others, but the Speaker definitely existed well before this forger or forgery ring went to work.

Also, I think you were the buyer of the Frank Baker that was proven to be fake. I contacted Brian at REA and approved him withholding the purchase price from my consignment check. He’s a stand up guy and he informed me that he had already refunded the buyer. He’s also refunding me what I paid for the card through REA back in 2015. I’m really impressed with how REA has handled the situation.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
I'd greatly appreciate any help on the authenticity of the signatures in my signed T 206 collection:
Old 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I have not heard from hunt auctions, they are aware, and hoping they know the consignor of the group of t206s. It looks like a majority were purchased by f***f and tried to pass jsa and sgc before heading to clean sweep and hunt.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Albert Bee

Default T206

Im so glad I don't collect autograph's of any kind !
Old 11-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
I'd greatly appreciate any help on the authenticity of the signatures in my signed T 206 collection:
In addition to Jason's comments on Speaker above, I can tell you that the following 4 cards in your collection originated from the Pittsburgh Find:

Marquard Portrait (one of 2)
Livingston (only 1)
Both of your McBrides (2 of 6)

Hope this helps. Did you acquire any of the others after October 1, 2015?

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 11-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Fred

Doh....

Manny, thanks for the links in page 1. Something that just occurred to me was that most of these have SGC flips. At first I saw a lot of red and assumed PSA but that's not the case. Who certified these for SGC?

How many of these were JSA certified? Hasn't JSA partnered with a lot of the main TPGs (SGC, PSA and Beckett)? Does he still have an affiliation with all of them?
Old 11-30-2018, 03:12 PM
Mike Navarro

Very valuable thread. I love how the examples have practically irrefutable proof of forgery.

Good work to those involved in sleuthing this out.

Mike
Old 11-30-2018, 05:27 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default T206 scandal

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ograph-scheme/

This article may be related somehow to the same group that was arrested & is possibly producing these fake T206's come from same town...The buyer of our T206 baker(unsigned), later "signed" and authenticated and sold in REA came from a small town of pop 9000 in Ohio. I know the e bay item # seen in worthpoint and posted by Pat exactly matches our reply to feedback research which also contains same e bay id #, and also shows his handle. I dont have his name, nor do I have his original hard copy invoice...but I do know from the research we conducted that his history from his ID(prior to being blocked) referred to location: Girard, Ohio.

The noose is closing.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Mike Navarro

Is that Marino related to the Marino's from Operation Bullpen infamy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ograph-scheme/

This article may be related somehow to the same group that was arrested & is possibly producing these fake T206's come from same town...The buyer of our T206 baker(unsigned), later "signed" and authenticated and sold in REA came from a small town of pop 9000 in Ohio. I know the e bay item # seen in worthpoint and posted by Pat exactly matches our reply to feedback research which also contains same e bay id #, and also shows his handle. I dont have his name, nor do I have his original hard copy invoice...but I do know from the research we conducted that his history from his ID(prior to being blocked) referred to location: Girard, Ohio.

The noose is closing.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Joe F.ey

Once again, great detective work. This is such a sad story but is a great read - I keep checking back and hoping an update on identification of the forger. I took a quick peek at the summary of this thread on page one and noted that the TPAs for the ones identified are mostly SGC and JSA but the highest dollar one is the PSA/DNA Baker.

For my own interest, I made a quick list for TPA tracking...

# Signature Certification
1 Fred Parent SGC Authentic & JSA
2 Billy Sullivan SGC Authentic & JSA
3 Bob Rhoades SGC Authentic
4 Paddy Livingston SGC Authentic
5 Frank Baker PSA/DNA
6 Elmer Flick SGC Authentic
7 Heinie Zimmerman SGC Authentic
8 Wid Conroy SGC Authentic
9 Larry Doyle SGC Authentic
10 Jap Barbeau SGC Authentic
11 Red Murray SGC Authentic
12 Eddie Cicotte SGC Authentic
13 Nap Rucker SGC Authentic & JSA
14 Jesse Tannehill
15 Rube Marquard JSA
Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The Baker was originally sold with a JSA cert and later got slabbed by PSA. In fact, the vast majority of these cards started with JSA I believe. You've got to look up the auctionhouse listings to find that out.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
Is that Marino related to the Marino's from Operation Bullpen infamy?
Well, if this is the same family or group of conspirators, then it might be very easy to get the law enforcement back involved as this may be a parole violation. Therefore the sentences for further offenses would be magnified.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think the Marinos (Greg et al.) were based in Southern California?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-30-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I think the Marinos (Greg et al.) were based in Southern California?
Yes they were.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Mike Biggans

I will be curious as to when we see the first cards that are not T206 hit the post with confirmed before and after. There is no way the scope of this is as limited as T206’s.

Something tells me this is going to just explode in the next several days.

Not that it hasn’t in the last several!

Thanks to everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 07:05 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post

As for trusting TPGs, I am reminded of a story I read once regarding PSA. There was some card show where PSA was setup for on-site card grading and autograph authentication. Someone at the show got an autograph from a guest at the show, walked over to PSA, and tried to get the autograph authenticated. PSA rejected it as not real.
While this goes to show the flaws in their opinion, this is actually a bit comforting (where really no comfort can come from this thread).

I get a few autos every year at the MAB show in Cooperstown. You go through the hotel, come out the back, then go to the front of the building again to get a cert from JSA. They didn’t watch the item get signed, they don’t ask for proof of the signing ticket, and they only look at the item to verify the signer and inscription. This process takes less than a minute to complete and is an excercise in book keeping rather than authentication. Whose to say that a guy signing at that show has a high price (Randy Johnson) and someone walks up with 5 decent fakes. Those are all most likely getting stickers and a cert card.

When I got my Montana Jersey signed at Shriners I brought it to PSA. They did bring the jersey out back for about 5 minutes and then it came out with a cert. I didn’t watch what they did but the process was super quick.

Point being as an autograph collector these types of things are concerning and essentially certs can be handed out on items that don’t even go through a process. Even if these processes are flawed (as we see they are).

Last edited by Marchillo; 12-01-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Default Exact same thing

[QUOTE=Marchillo;1831942]While this goes to show the flaws in their opinion, this is actually a bit comforting (where really no comfort can come from this thread).

I get a few autos every year at the MAB show in Cooperstown. You go through the hotel, come out the back, then go to the front of the building again to get a cert from JSA. They didn’t watch the item get signed, they don’t ask for proof of the signing ticket, and they only look at the item to verify the signer and inscription. This process takes less than a minute to complete and is an excercise in book keeping rather than authentication. Whose to say that a guy signing at that show has a high price (Randy Johnson) and someone walks up with 5 decent fakes. Those are all most likely getting stickers and a cert card.

I saw this exsct same thing at the exact same show in 2012 (so it’s been the process there for years) and thought the exact same thing. I decided on that day that I would only collect autographs that I received in person. I am not an autograph collector (just get a few players I wanted), so I do not study the autographs enough to provide me with the knowledge to identify fakes versus real. And I’ve

But, at this point, it appears there are a plethora of fakes “authenticated” and, I assume, these fakes are now used as exemplars. I just don’t know how anyone knows what’s real or fake at this point (obviously the “authenticators” don’t) unless you see player sign it with your eyes or have iron clad provenance. I feel like operation bullpen fell on deaf ears and the “romanticism” of owning a signed pre-war card blinded peoples rationale thought!

In reference to a few people’s comments about this not being isolated to T206s, I completely agree; however, I think it will be more difficult to pinpoint the before and after of these other series. When I go to card shows, dealers have binders of low grade common 1933 Goudey cards (perfect for this forgery scam); so I think it is less likely cards from other series will have a fingerprint copy on internet.

Lastly, I feel horrible for everyone that got burned in this scam and hope that they receive retribution (REA response speaks volumes to me on why many consider them an industry leader) and incredible work by Manny in trusting his gut when he smelled a rat!!!

@ndy k3nn3dy
Old 12-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Presumably, hopefully, REA will be made whole by the TPA who mistakenly blessed the cards. I'm a little disappointed but of course not surprised that we've heard nothing from any of the other auction houses who sold the fake cards.

As for autographs, other than on checks or official documents I'd stay away. Problem is that we all tend to lose our heads when confronted with something we really want based on a deep-seated childhood desire. A desire that tends to cause us to ignore simple common sense. Just take a look at the BST with some sellers willing to concoct the most hilarious bullshit stories to defraud board members. If it seems ridiculous it is ridiculous. If someone claims a high graded card in some obscure holder has never been sent into PSA or SGC, he's lying. If someone is selling a seemingly pristine raw card at a high price, presume it's trimmed or altered and been rejected by PSA or SGC. If you presume the worst you'll be right 99% of the time. Sad but true.

Last edited by calvindog; 12-01-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Presumably, hopefully, REA will be made whole by the TPA who mistakenly blessed the cards. I'm a little disappointed but of course not surprised that we've heard nothing from any of the other auction houses who sold the fake cards.

As for autographs, other than on checks or official documents I'd stay away. Problem is that we all tend to lose our heads when confronted with something we really want based on a deep-seeded childhood desire. A desire that tends to cause us to ignore simple common sense. Just take a look at the BST with some sellers willing to concoct the most hilarious bullshit stories to defraud board members. If it seems ridiculous it is ridiculous. If someone claims a high graded card in some obscure holder has never been sent into PSA or SGC, he's lying. If someone is selling a seemingly pristine raw card at a high price, presume it's trimmed or altered and been rejected by PSA or SGC. If you presume the worst you'll be right 99% of the time. Sad but true.
This times a million.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Yep. Even otherwise sophisticated, intelligent, successful people seem to check all these qualities at the door when it comes to cards, autographs, memorabilia. It's the perfect recipe for fraud. It's as Paul Simon wrote -- a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

And this phenomenon is exacerbated by TPG because the holder and the LOA just whitewash the problems and give what is -- in many cases -- false reassurance.

Since none of us are going to stop collecting no matter what scandals emerge, the only choice is to be more careful I guess, and use your common sense at all times.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Yep. Even otherwise sophisticated, intelligent, successful people seem to check all these qualities at the door when it comes to cards, autographs, memorabilia. It's the perfect recipe for fraud. It's as Paul Simon wrote -- a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

And this phenomenon is exacerbated by TPG because the holder and the LOA just whitewash the problems and give what is -- in many cases -- false reassurance.

Since none of us are going to stop collecting no matter what scandals emerge, the only choice is to be more careful I guess, and use your common sense at all times.
+1

I think the way the hobby has evolved, too much faith has been put on what the label says. A grade, or a blessing of authenticity, is only an opinion. And because TPGs need to process material as quickly as possible to increase profits, many of the opinions are flawed and inaccurate.

But how many collectors actually assess that? If the label says it's a 9, it's taken by most as a guarantee. Look at what 9's and 10's sell for, and you know that buyers have total confidence in that label. Just the idea that all these fake signatures found their way into slabs should be a wake up call that the system is deeply flawed.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:06 AM
je.sse @rnot

Is there no way to tell the difference from ink that's been on a card for 30-50 years, or more, and a card that's been signed in the last 5 or 10?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:

Yup. The TPG gives the stamp of approval and allows people to exhale. Even when the TPG - like Spence - is shown to be a clown year after year. Collectors are so easily defrauded. As we see on the BST even morons can easily steal.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Secondary to the fraud is the fact that we all losing all these great 100-year old cards to fake signatures. Too bad we can’t just soak the added ink off the cards to get them back to prior condition as that would be “Altering” them. Although that seems a bit backwards to me.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:23 AM
David Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Secondary to the fraud is the fact that we all losing all these great 100-year old cards to fake signatures.
This.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Is there no way to tell the difference from ink that's been on a card for 30-50 years, or more, and a card that's been signed in the last 5 or 10?
There is, but if it's your card, are you willing to have them take a piece of the signature off the card to run it through a mass spectrometer? I'm not sure there is a non-invasive way to test it.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Not sure we're losing that many great cards; these are mostly beaters that are being forged.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Not sure we're losing that many great cards; these are mostly beaters that are being forged.

This is where I was at first, but there are still a finite number of these cards. It’s a decently big finite number but still sucks to see them destroyed

And a big +1 to Jeff’s comments about the false sense of security with the slabs and how we lose our minds when we find something we want really bad.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

How many did they try and fail?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Boy, I thought everyone who collects sports stuff, especially autographs would have read "Operation Bullpen". That book is the "Scared Straight" book for anyone who ever considered collecting an autograph. This current wave of fraud would not surprise anyone who ever read that book.

Secondly, I wonder if law enforcement doesn't care because of the nature of the hobby. Rich guys paying thousands of dollars for autographs of people that 99% of the public never even heard of. Who wants to spend precious resources defending these guys? If they can afford to spend the money, then they can afford to deal with the risk. Seems like it's very important that this hobby police itself. So my sincere thanks to all who have exposed this.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:20 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Secondary to the fraud is the fact that we all losing all these great 100-year old cards to fake signatures.
That's what I thought. Also what I think about trimming, etc.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Mike Biggans

Quote:
Secondary to the fraud is the fact that we all losing all these great 100-year old cards to fake signatures. Too bad we can’t just soak the added ink off the cards to get them back to prior condition as that would be “Altering” them. Although that seems a bit backwards to me.

+1

Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
Boy, I thought everyone who collects sports stuff, especially autographs would have read "Operation Bullpen". That book is the "Scared Straight" book for anyone who ever considered collecting an autograph. This current wave of fraud would not surprise anyone who ever read that book.
Yep. As the great quotation goes, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

[QUOTE=egbeachley;1831982]Secondary to the fraud is the fact that we all losing all these great 100-year old cards to fake signatures.

I totally agree and that's one of the reasons I collect the Magee cards, I feel as if many have been lost to card doctors trying to change the Magee to Magie. Relative to the autograph forging I'm sorry to say I believe this is just scratching the surface as many have already mentioned. Personally, I wouldn't trust any autograph nor would I collect any card that had been altered in anyway. I would guess that many backstamp cards have been "created" recently though they don't carry anywhere near the premium that the t206 auto cards do.

It's all a sad commentary on the state of some aspects of the hobby. I would think this has ruined the fun of things for many of us as those holding certified t206 auto's are questioning the validity of their signed cards. Not knowing is often worse than knowing. I feel for you. Hope the perpetrators get more than what they deserve.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 12-01-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
45 pages of posts already... and on one, somebody mentioned the experience of getting an autograph at a show, taking it to a TPG booth and it not passing.

It hit me - why the heck don't TPGs that have booths at shows offer a service to witness the auto in person and then slab it there, they could even include "WITNESSED" on the flip? I would guess there would be many people willing to shell out extra $$ for this, and it would certainly be a welcome addition for anybody looking to purchase an autograph.
They do for comics. Signature series I believe. Gets a special golden flip.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:55 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I think the main issue with certifying cards at shows of the show signers is mainly of logistics. Since some shows have 5-10 signers at a time, they'd have to have at least that many witnesses.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Another example of why I feel that autograph collecting has become both the best and worst hobby.

Last edited by johnmh71; 12-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
There is, but if it's your card, are you willing to have them take a piece of the signature off the card to run it through a mass spectrometer? I'm not sure there is a non-invasive way to test it.

There are non- invasive spectrograph machines. Mostly used for metals. They will give an accurate reading of the elements in the ink, but then you need to know what inks were made of in the past and what they're made of now. Some ink formulas have probably remained unchanged since the 70's.

Those machines are slowly becoming used for stamps, and a few of the things that everyone "knew" have been proven wrong. Like the brown inks for the 1847 stamps were "known" to be pigmented with rust. Except the recent spectrograph showed exactly 0% iron.....
Old 12-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Apologies if these two have already been discussed that sold in Hunt's October monthly auction. While the Barbeau is SGC, the McBride is a PSA example.

I would have provided a direct link but we all know Hunt's website is horrendous and I cant even figure out how to search their completed monthly auctions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181201_123024.jpg (75.6 KB, 803 views)
File Type: jpg 20181201_122951.jpg (75.8 KB, 812 views)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Here's how a real TPG handles a nice item that's got a problem.

Yes, that's mine. As far as I know it's the first of that foreign entry that's been given a certificate. I have a couple others, and it's pretty rare so the issues don't bother me much.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Chris R

Default Yep, already discussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Apologies if these two have already been discussed that sold in Hunt's October monthly auction. While the Barbeau is SGC, the McBride is a PSA example.

I would have provided a direct link but we all know Hunt's website is horrendous and I cant even figure out how to search their completed monthly auctions.
See post 194 showing the before and after photos of the forged Barbeau card. The McBride is an exact match to one of the six McBride cards from The Great Pittsburg find.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

So the other thing that crossed my mind is what is going to be done with these known fraudulent signed T206s. I look at those and they are worthless and think I’d want the card shredded to get it out of the hobby once and for all. I also realize I didn’t drop thousands of dollars on these cards so that’s a lot easier for me to say than for someone who did to do. Thoughts? I still think these cards should be destroyed fwiw.

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
So the other thing that crossed my mind is what is going to be done with these known fraudulent signed T206s. I look at those and they are worthless and think I’d want the card shredded to get it out of the hobby once and for all. I also realize I didn’t drop thousands of dollars on these cards so that’s a lot easier for me to say than for someone who did to do. Thoughts? I still think these cards should be destroyed fwiw.

I would think for now they have to be retained as possible evidence.