NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for BSelling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #951  
Old 12-28-2018, 12:30 AM
ballparks ballparks is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Are other collectible hobbies plagued by such fraudulent behavior as this one is?
I am sure there is fraud in other hobbies but is it this widespread?
My other hobbies do not involve collecting anything, fortunately, except my airline boarding passes.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sour_grapes_2016

Amazing documentary on how the wine hobby was duped. Watch it!
Reply With Quote
  #952  
Old 12-28-2018, 06:55 AM
BruceinGa BruceinGa is offline
Bruce Fairchild
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marietta, Ga
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
But do stamps and coins have as much fraud as this hobby?
I remember as a kid in the early 60's hearing about tampered 1944 D Lincoln cent being altered to appear as a 1914 D. There were others but my memory, well, you know.
__________________
Successful transactions with: Double-P-Enterprises, Thromdog, DavidBvintage, Desert Ice Sports, Kurtz Kardz, Cooperstown Sportscards and tenorvox!
Reply With Quote
  #953  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:00 AM
itslarry itslarry is offline
Larry Young
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 98
Default

Killing stamp market from what people are forums seem to be. Saying. Or killed it I should say.
Anywhere there is money and the chance for people to cheat, sadly.

Last edited by itslarry; 12-28-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #954  
Old 12-28-2018, 07:09 AM
ALBB ALBB is offline
Albert Bee
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 194
Default forge

Records too

I got burned with some early " rare " Beatle records, also another famous fake is the John Lennon Roots LP
Reply With Quote
  #955  
Old 01-24-2019, 07:11 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,124
Default

Any new updates on this? Did PSA, SGC or JSA (James Spence authentication) have anything to say about this yet or has all been hush hush?

Another thread was started discussing the impact this will have on the Auto side of collecting. Have people noticed this and seen a big drop in prices or people collecting them?

Was/were the perp(s) ever caught and charged or is this investigation still ongoing?
Reply With Quote
  #956  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:09 AM
MichelaiTorres83 MichelaiTorres83 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 94
Default

The EBay username was shown. Everyone was satisfied they were part of the in crowd now, so the thread died, pending a new major update that will excite the masses again.
Reply With Quote
  #957  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:03 AM
topcat61 topcat61 is offline
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelaiTorres83 View Post
The EBay username was shown. Everyone was satisfied they were part of the in crowd now, so the thread died, pending a new major update that will excite the masses again.
I heard that they know who this is but there's a related issue that everyone is dancing around and that is the grading companies passing this stuff -and then there are the auctions. I think both of these institutions bear some responsibility and collectors need answers.

Collectors bear some responsibility too. Many are too impatient, don't ask questions, properly research and take the word of authenticators as gospel without knowing their backgrounds.

Tell me, does everything go back to the way it was once this guy is caught? Or, do we as collectors and dealers have a responsibility to make sure these kind of things are not forgotten so they don't happen again?
Reply With Quote
  #958  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:20 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
I heard that they know who this is but there's a related issue that everyone is dancing around and that is the grading companies passing this stuff -and then there are the auctions. I think both of these institutions bear some responsibility and collectors need answers.

Collectors bear some responsibility too. Many are too impatient, don't ask questions, properly research and take the word of authenticators as gospel without knowing their backgrounds.

Tell me, does everything go back to the way it was once this guy is caught? Or, do we as collectors and dealers have a responsibility to make sure these kind of things are not forgotten so they don't happen again?
LOL, what changed?

NOBODY CARES. Scammers get outed all the time and people still line up to buy from them. If you read the threads outing the scammers there are other scammers posting in those threads on how that is now or should be accepted in the hobby.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #959  
Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 AM
topcat61 topcat61 is offline
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 118
Default

There isn't anything funny about this. It isn't that nobody cares -the collectors who got taken care. A friend of mine got taken for 18 grand on one card alone. How about the integrity of the Hobby we all enjoy?

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the documentary on Netflix called "Sour Grapes" really points out that many collectors turn a blind eye or make excuses for things they know is wrong. At what point does the Hobby come crashing down again? You know it will at some point and it's going to be harder and harder to convince new collectors to part with their money if everything they see is built on fraud.
Reply With Quote
  #960  
Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 PM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
There isn't anything funny about this. It isn't that nobody cares -the collectors who got taken care. A friend of mine got taken for 18 grand on one card alone. How about the integrity of the Hobby we all enjoy?

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the documentary on Netflix called "Sour Grapes" really points out that many collectors turn a blind eye or make excuses for things they know is wrong. At what point does the Hobby come crashing down again? You know it will at some point and it's going to be harder and harder to convince new collectors to part with their money if everything they see is built on fraud.
Everything isn't built on fraud though. This is an issue with autograph authentication. Nobody has been able to create a T206 that passed as authentic made in 2019.

Last edited by packs; 01-28-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #961  
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 PM
pgconboy's Avatar
pgconboy pgconboy is offline
Peirce Conboy
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA by way of MN
Posts: 45
Default

Fantastic legwork comparing before and after auto pictures. If anyone would take the time to write up a few sites and strategies for sleuthing I would be glad to invest a few hours here and there looking for matches.
__________________
WIP All Time Baseball Team: https://imgur.com/a/N4LjC
WTB: Looking for @ SCG/PSA 1.5-3.5ish E95: Cobb, Cicotte
WTB: 1932 Caramel Lefty Grove, 1914 Cracker Jack Grover Alexander
Extensive Magic The Gathering collection, possibly willing to trade some for E95/Pre War HOFers.
Football Auto Collection: https://www.instagram.com/goatrosters/
Reply With Quote
  #962  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:31 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,630
Default

Is this a dead thread? No outcome? No arrests?
__________________
doh, doh, doh, doh....
Reply With Quote
  #963  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 PM
ramram's Avatar
ramram ramram is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,081
Default

1F2F1962-A378-4DCF-ABB7-E3B0CAA06500.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #964  
Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 AM
uniship uniship is offline
Eric Pugh
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 196
Default Who was the forger?

Sorry if I missed it, but what was the name of the forger? Or are the authorities still instructing not to share this with the collecting community?
Reply With Quote
  #965  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:05 AM
felada felada is offline
D@vid Fel@
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 265
Default

Any updates?
Reply With Quote
  #966  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
Any updates?
After a 20+ minute phone call yesterday the OP was banned, unfortunately, due to registration violations. On the phone he could not provide a way to positively ID himself. He told me he knew no one in the hobby, didn't bid on ebay or with any auction house. It was quite an uncomfortable call in that I repeatedly told him all I need to do is be comfortable with who he says he is. He never could or would provide that info. Very strange. Some folks think it could be Peter Nash.....and that could open up a whole nuther bag of worms. In reality he could be who he says he is but too many things didn't add up. Late last night another piece of info was revealed that makes me believe Manny could be Manny....but everything just doesn't add up. We ended the call politely with me telling him I wasn't satisfied with who he says he is. Good bye...
ps...my understanding, from a reliable source, is the investigation is ongoing as of yesterday....
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: addendum
Reply With Quote
  #967  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Jersey City Giants Jersey City Giants is offline
Jason Seidl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 151
Default

Thanks for the update Leon
Reply With Quote
  #968  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
After a 20+ minute phone call yesterday the OP was banned, unfortunately, due to registration violations. On the phone he could not provide a way to positively ID himself. He told me he knew no one in the hobby, didn't bid on ebay or with any auction house. It was quite an uncomfortable call in that I repeatedly told him all I need to do is be comfortable with who he says he is. He never could or would provide that info. Very strange. Some folks think it could be Peter Nash.....and that could open up a whole nuther bag of worms. In reality he could be who he says he is but too many things didn't add up. Late last night another piece of info was revealed that makes me believe Manny could be Manny....but everything just doesn't add up. We ended the call politely with me telling him I wasn't satisfied with who he says he is. Good bye...
ps...my understanding, from a reliable source, is the investigation is ongoing as of yesterday....
Completely understand your actions, but I wonder if he was nervous confirming identity for fear of being outed himself. I imagine there are certain people who might be negatively interested in him.
__________________
Check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!
Reply With Quote
  #969  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Completely understand your actions, but I wonder if he was nervous confirming identity for fear of being outed himself. I imagine there are certain people who might be negatively interested in him.
Believe me, I told him several times his identity would stay with only me and possibly the authorities. I don't think he liked that answer. It really could be Manny but I can't believe some of what he told me. Unlike other forums this one has 0 tolerance for complete anonymity. And I think it is why we have some higher profile members (auction houses, lawyers, etc...) because they know they will get to know who is saying what about them. Some say, well if it is complete fact, why should they have to say who they are? Well, because it is my belief that each person or company has a right to know who is saying stuff about them.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #970  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:50 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
After a 20+ minute phone call yesterday the OP was banned, unfortunately, due to registration violations. On the phone he could not provide a way to positively ID himself. He told me he knew no one in the hobby, didn't bid on ebay or with any auction house. It was quite an uncomfortable call in that I repeatedly told him all I need to do is be comfortable with who he says he is. He never could or would provide that info. Very strange. Some folks think it could be Peter Nash.....and that could open up a whole nuther bag of worms. In reality he could be who he says he is but too many things didn't add up. Late last night another piece of info was revealed that makes me believe Manny could be Manny....but everything just doesn't add up. We ended the call politely with me telling him I wasn't satisfied with who he says he is. Good bye...
ps...my understanding, from a reliable source, is the investigation is ongoing as of yesterday....
WOW, that is crazy that a 7 year member that has seriously helped the forum got banned.

I do understand and really like the name rule on here. Like Manny if that is his real name I know absolutely nobody in the hobby. I also do not bid with any auction houses. About the only thing I an guarantee is I am not Peter Nash.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #971  
Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,794
Default

But, I hope, if you and I were on the phone for 20+ minutes you would be able to provide information to verify your identity. Anyone on this forum could have the same issue, I guess. I can verify my identity, no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
WOW, that is crazy that a 7 year member that has seriously helped the forum got banned.

I do understand and really like the name rule on here. Like Manny if that is his real name I know absolutely nobody in the hobby. I also do not bid with any auction houses. About the only thing I an guarantee is I am not Peter Nash.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #972  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 AM
chalupacollects chalupacollects is offline
Ti.m H.
Tim Hu,nt
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 604
Default

Just a thought if he is afraid of repercussions maybe he can reveal proof of identity to a disinterested 3rd party?
__________________
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats and megalimey so far.
Reply With Quote
  #973  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Aquarian Sports Cards Aquarian Sports Cards is offline
Scott Russell
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
WOW, that is crazy that a 7 year member that has seriously helped the forum got banned.

I do understand and really like the name rule on here. Like Manny if that is his real name I know absolutely nobody in the hobby. I also do not bid with any auction houses. About the only thing I an guarantee is I am not Peter Nash.
Ah, but you know me, and I can vouch for your identity!
__________________
Check out http://www.birminghamauctioneers.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!
Reply With Quote
  #974  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:19 PM
steve B steve B is offline
Steve Birmingham
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: eastern Mass.
Posts: 5,749
Default

Short of scanning my ID, I', not sure I could prove I'm me either.

I've been around since the late 70's in the hobby with a few stretches of relative inactivity. I've always been sort of an "under the radar" sort of guy. So while I know people (More like know of people) in the hobby, I'm really certain they wouldn't remember me. The only ones that would I'm pretty sure aren't on here, and I'm not sure if or how they're involved in the hobby anymore.


And aside from one of the more minor auctions which isn't operating anymore and Ebay, I have yet to bid in a hobby auction.
Reply With Quote
  #975  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Jobu's Avatar
Jobu Jobu is offline
Bry@n
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 2,437
Default

I assume committee for the O'Doul award will not look favorably on these happenings.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=award
Reply With Quote
  #976  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:46 PM
HOFautosChris HOFautosChris is offline
member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 146
Default Rube Marquard

So a Rub e Marquard signed T206 ended on ebay last night for $613.00 through Probstein. Was this one of the ones outed in this thread
Reply With Quote
  #977  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:12 PM
xplainer's Avatar
xplainer xplainer is offline
Jimmy Knowle$
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Florida
Posts: 1,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFautosChris View Post
So a Rub e Marquard signed T206 ended on ebay last night for $613.00 through Probstein. Was this one of the ones outed in this thread
In don’t know the answer, but do you really want to know?

Probstein is a red flag to me.

But that is just me, I guess.

Name above post.

Last edited by xplainer; 03-05-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #978  
Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Rich Klein Rich Klein is offline
Rich Klein
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 3,673
Default

Just one historical note on why Leon asks for names and I agree with him.

In the previous world pre-Net 54 we had the Full Count Vintage Board. The concept was great but way too soon the board truly became a shouting match full of obscenities and terrible things said about way too many good (and sometimes bad) people.

The reason names are here is so someone can face their accuser. That is a basic American right.

it was brought up about Deep Throat in another board. Yes he was anonymous but Woodward and Bernstein put THEIR names on the Watergate articles so there was still persons out there one could ID.

Regards
Rich
__________________
Look for our show listings in the Net 54 Calendar section

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #979  
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 PM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,479
Default SOme thoughts/questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
After a 20+ minute phone call yesterday the OP was banned, unfortunately, due to registration violations. On the phone he could not provide a way to positively ID himself. He told me he knew no one in the hobby, didn't bid on ebay or with any auction house. It was quite an uncomfortable call in that I repeatedly told him all I need to do is be comfortable with who he says he is. He never could or would provide that info. Very strange. Some folks think it could be Peter Nash.....and that could open up a whole nuther bag of worms. In reality he could be who he says he is but too many things didn't add up. Late last night another piece of info was revealed that makes me believe Manny could be Manny....but everything just doesn't add up. We ended the call politely with me telling him I wasn't satisfied with who he says he is. Good bye...
ps...my understanding, from a reliable source, is the investigation is ongoing as of yesterday....

1 - Interestingly coincidental that the dialogue took place yesterday and this thread was revived today. What Leon, if you can/are willing to share - prompted the conversation last night?
2 - I am a little mixed on this one. On one hand I understand and fully support the transparency the "name policy" provides. On the other hand, the facts that have been presented here still stand. I read the whole thread a while back, and don't recall Manny directly accusing anyone - just stating/sharing the facts.
3 - With the scope and money involved in this, I would be a bit hesitant to be too visible if I were the one who outed it.
4 - Another question Leon- you stated Manny couldn't prove who he was, but that you spoke for a bit - did he express any reason why he couldn't/wouldn't - do you have any suspicion about some
thing being factually off in what has been presented in this thread?
5 - As has been said a few times - a shame to lose someone who stuck his neck out to expose this.
Reply With Quote
  #980  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,794
Default

1. Pure coincidence of this thread being bumped. I was going to say something soon anyway but when I saw the thread I decided to go ahead and say it. I was tipped off by another board member who showed me several things that, when put together, seemed suspicious. That is what prompted the call. When I mentioned it to another hobby veteran today he also thought the whole thing was a little weird, from the start. Some things just didn't add up.

2. Regardless of anything else, there is no absolute anonymity allowed on this board. In the time this crew (Dan and Brian too) has been running it that has always been adhered to. I imagine it will continue. For devil's advocate, what if he was an anonymous criminal who is still doing bad stuff in the hobby? He had factual evidence.. but I believe in the clean hand doctrine. Criminals (dirty hands) shouldn't be spareheading anti-crime campaigns. I am not saying Manny isn't Manny, as I don't know for sure....and I sure don't know if he has done any crime, I was only making a point concerning anonymity.

3. He absolutely didn't have to be visible whatsoever, except to a moderator (me). I told him over and over he would remain 100% private on the board otherwise.

4. To paraphrase some of what he said, he said he didn't want to be known or well known. He liked to be private. There is a chance that is all this is. Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you read 2, above, again. I can't imagine letting someone anonymously post on our board.

5. I agree completely. I didn't want to ask him to leave. That wasn't my intention at all. I have nothing against him other than this registration issue. Nothing at all. I am pretty sure I told him I would rather him be on the board but I have to be comfortable with someone's registration id and I wasn't with his. It never got resolved and we politely hung up. He would be allowed back if his id is verified better. (or at all, really)

Hope that helps clarify it. I was sort of stunned it happened but what he told me (knowing no one in the hobby and bidding no where) given all he has written on the board, seems almost impossible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
1 - Interestingly coincidental that the dialogue took place yesterday and this thread was revived today. What Leon, if you can/are willing to share - prompted the conversation last night?
2 - I am a little mixed on this one. On one hand I understand and fully support the transparency the "name policy" provides. On the other hand, the facts that have been presented here still stand. I read the whole thread a while back, and don't recall Manny directly accusing anyone - just stating/sharing the facts.
3 - With the scope and money involved in this, I would be a bit hesitant to be too visible if I were the one who outed it.
4 - Another question Leon- you stated Manny couldn't prove who he was, but that you spoke for a bit - did he express any reason why he couldn't/wouldn't - do you have any suspicion about something being factually off in what has been presented in this thread?
5 - As has been said a few times - a shame to lose someone who stuck his neck out to expose this.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #981  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 PM
slidekellyslide's Avatar
slidekellyslide slidekellyslide is offline
Dan Bretta
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,812
Default

His posting history shows he has done deals on the B/S/T...anyone here recall buying from him? Do they know who they paid? Where the package came from?
__________________
Looking for Nebraska Indians memorabilia, photos and postcards
Reply With Quote
  #982  
Old 03-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,794
Default

We talked about that. From personal experience that is not foolproof. Another coincidence that was found out today, Nash fell behind in child support and received a court order on 6/29/18. Manny tried to sell a now deunked 1887 Detroit cdv on the BST on 7/6/18. Could be just another coincidence....there are some other head scratchers too. I hope we find out it is Manny whomever and he comes back. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
His posting history shows he has done deals on the B/S/T...anyone here recall buying from him? Do they know who they paid? Where the package came from?
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #983  
Old 03-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Bigdaddy's Avatar
Bigdaddy Bigdaddy is offline
+0m J()rd@N
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 721
Default

Just when you thought things couldn't get any stranger....

__________________
Working Sets:
Baseball-
T206 SLers, Virginia League; 1964 Topps Giants auto'd

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 03-05-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #984  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 27,794
Default "Manny" is banned for id issues

I have spoken with a half a dozen board members (hobby friends) the last few days. None of them had realized Manny (Setbuilder), the OP, has been banned for not being who he says he is, or at a minimum, not being able or wanting to prove his identity. Kind of weird. My guess is one id issue isn't related to the other autograph forgery issues. My guess, and this is only a guess, is this imposter might have uncovered a fraud situation without being involved other than outing it. Which is sort of the MO of who this is believed to be, or associated with. A positive id always has, and will be, required for membership here.

.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 03-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #985  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have spoken with a half a dozen board members (hobby friends) the last few days. None of them had realized Manny (Setbuilder), the OP, has been banned for not being who he says he is, or at a minimum, not being able or wanting to prove his identity. Kind of weird. My guess is one id issue isn't related to the other autograph forgery issues. My guess, and this is only a guess, is this imposter might have uncovered a fraud situation without being involved other than outing it. Which is sort of the MO of who this is believed to be, or associated with. A positive id always has, and will be, required for membership here.

.
I obviously don't know all the 'inner" details why Manny was banned but if you were a guy responsible for outing a "huge" fake signature/forgery scam, would you really want your name out there this day and age?
Reply With Quote
  #986  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I obviously don't know all the 'inner" details why Manny was banned but if you were a guy responsible for outing a "huge" fake signature/forgery scam, would you really want your name out there this day and age?
He found pictures of the unsigned cards on the internet and matched them to pictures of the signed cards. This was all public information that anyone could’ve stumbled across. I’m not minimizing the good detective work, however it’s not like he was an informant blowing the whistle. To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

And secondly, Leon has stated repeatedly that his name would not become public.
Reply With Quote
  #987  
Old 03-12-2019, 08:08 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
He found pictures of the unsigned cards on the internet and matched them to pictures of the signed cards. This was all public information that anyone could’ve stumbled across. I’m not minimizing the good detective work, however it’s not like he was an informant blowing the whistle. To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

And secondly, Leon has stated repeatedly that his name would not become public.
But nobody noticed it, or at least brought it forward but Manny?

Like I said in my above post, I don't know all the "Inner" details but if I were Manny, I don't think I'd want my full name known either. Unlike you, I happen to think a lot of money and reputations were lost on this scam being exposed, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by irv; 03-12-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #988  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Unlike you, I happen to think a lot of money and reputations were lost on this scam being exposed, but that's just my opinion.
Where did I state this?

This is why you can't rationally debate a point on the internet. People just make stuff up.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 03-13-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #989  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:03 AM
Bpm0014's Avatar
Bpm0014 Bpm0014 is offline
Brendan Mullen
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,185
Default

To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

What was exposed could potentially cost the forgers tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars. People have been harmed/killed for way less. I'm not trying to be dramatic at all, but many people don't appreciate someone messing with their money; illegally gained or not. I can certainly see his hesitation in giving all of his information.
Reply With Quote
  #990  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 AM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 4,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
He found pictures of the unsigned cards on the internet and matched them to pictures of the signed cards. This was all public information that anyone could’ve stumbled across. I’m not minimizing the good detective work, however it’s not like he was an informant blowing the whistle. To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

And secondly, Leon has stated repeatedly that his name would not become public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Where did I state this?

This is why you can't rationally debate a point on the internet. People just make stuff up.
Right above in the bolded section. The same bolded section I highlighted in my original reply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

What was exposed could potentially cost the forgers tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars. People have been harmed/killed for way less. I'm not trying to be dramatic at all, but many people don't appreciate someone messing with their money; illegally gained or not. I can certainly see his hesitation in giving all of his information.
Some get it some don't I guess, Brendan.

Last edited by irv; 03-13-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #991  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 AM
Mr. Zipper Mr. Zipper is offline
Steve Zarelli
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Right above in the bolded section. The same bolded section I highlighted in my original reply to you.

Some get it some don't I guess, Brendan.
I never stated money and reputations were NOT lost by exposing this scam. Of course they were. I just don't believe "Manny" is in danger for doing so. No more so than Chris Williams, Steve Cyrkin and other hobby crusaders who have been exposing these criminals for years.

I'm not going to waste my time reviewing my resume of exposing fakes and forgers over the past 20+ years, but I've done it all under my own name -- Steve Zarelli. And I've never lost a minutes sleep worrying about it.

Dale Irvin, I'm not going to give you anything else to mischaracterize or twist, so I'm out.
Reply With Quote
  #992  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,630
Default

Does anybody remember the sitcom "Soap" that ran from 1977 - 1981?

This reminds me of that sitcom....

I have to believe that most of us don't care who the perp is at this time.

We'd just like to be re-assured that something is being done about it.

If the auction houses that sell these items only eat the losses and do nothing else because they don't want to spend the time required to resolve the issue, then that pretty much tells us the state of this hobby.

If I find out that auction houses are doing that and I find out which auction houses have done that, then I WILL NOT BID IN THEIR AUCTIONS ANY MORE. Simple as that. Unfortunately, we couldn't get a united front on that because nobody seems to give a shit....
__________________
doh, doh, doh, doh....
Reply With Quote
  #993  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM
topcat61 topcat61 is offline
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 118
Default

Yes, I care. This is a hobby that has given me so much
Reply With Quote
  #994  
Old 03-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Dpeck100's Avatar
Dpeck100 Dpeck100 is offline
David Peck
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 841
Default

I saw this on Facebook.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...RNzW29ps2fHznE


Looks like SGC is folding their auto business. You have to wonder if it is correlated to the happenings in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #995  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:00 AM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 4,146
Default

Woah; then the fact that their head auto authenticator is immediately moving to Beckett isn't a great look for Beckett either.
__________________
--
PWCC: The Fish Stinks From the Head
PSA: Regularly Get Cheated
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Reply With Quote
  #996  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I saw this on Facebook.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...RNzW29ps2fHznE


Looks like SGC is folding their auto business. You have to wonder if it is correlated to the happenings in this thread.
I like SGC but am very happy to see this. I doubt it has anything to do with this thread.
__________________
T210 Series 3 Ft Worth, looking for low end examples and especially ones with a Y shaped hole punch. I also have some extra T210's for trade.
Reply With Quote
  #997  
Old 03-28-2019, 06:14 AM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,009
Default

Any move that allows them to focus on the authenticity and integrity of cards seems like a positive one at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #998  
Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 AM
daves_resale_shop's Avatar
daves_resale_shop daves_resale_shop is offline
David Linardy
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southport, CT
Posts: 2,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I like SGC but am very happy to see this. I doubt it has anything to do with this thread.
+1 unlikely that larry’s departure is related to this story
Reply With Quote
  #999  
Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 AM
tribefan's Avatar
tribefan tribefan is offline
m!ke kn@z@v!c
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 170
Default

What impact does this have on the value of SGC authenticated items for the future? Will they be seen as inferior to PSA, JSA, or BAS certified items?
Reply With Quote
  #1000  
Old 03-28-2019, 07:41 AM
swarmee's Avatar
swarmee swarmee is offline
J0hn Raff3rty
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Niceville FL
Posts: 4,146
Default

And do they retain any "guaranty" for previously authenticated autos?
__________________
--
PWCC: The Fish Stinks From the Head
PSA: Regularly Get Cheated
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T206 Fred Parent Backrun Complete With a Couple Extra's insccollectibles Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 16 02-21-2016 04:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.


ebay GSB