NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-26-2023, 02:58 PM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

The player in the background is wearing a Chicago Whales uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbond View Post
I picked up a nice set of Victorian Trade cards that had been on my want list, and a few more Federal League photos. However, upon closer analysis this morning, it turns out that one of the Federal League photos I picked up is actually a 1916 Cubs picture. (Please see my other thread trying to identify the player in the background)

AF15
Old 11-26-2023, 03:37 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks Jay and nice Cicotte yourself Daniel--thanks for either not bidding or stopping short. The 1916 card prices were modest compared to the 1921's. I got skunked on the Herps, not in the ballpark on most or even in the nearby parking lot on others. Really wanted the Hooper but it was not to be and they all ended up beyond my reach. Oh well, the Morehouse hit the spot for me, and I could even have a few $$$ left over to spend on the Holidays, assuming my computer crashes and I can't bid on any more auctions beforehand.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-26-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPaper View Post
The player in the background is wearing a Chicago Whales uniform.
Right. Part of the mystery I unraveled this morning (detailed in the other thread) is that this is not a picture of the Chicago Whales as advertised, but a post-merger 1916 Spring Training picture of the Cubs wearing the old uniforms.
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 11-26-2023, 04:14 PM

OT and of course not picked up in the auction, but my three favorite Sisler cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 Shoulderless Sisler [Front].jpg (59.8 KB, 655 views)
File Type: jpg 1922 W503 Sisler [Front].jpg (68.2 KB, 656 views)
File Type: jpg 1928 Star Candy Sisler [Front].jpg (73.8 KB, 663 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-26-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:32 PM

Default LOTG Pickups

I was very happy to pick up the Crawford fielding T206 SGC 3.5 and a couple of E98s for old time feelings.......
The Crawford gets it down to 48 to go to tame The Monster.

On another note, does anyone have any idea how the E98 Chase in a 3 went for over a grand??? Phil, or other E98 folks, do you have any idea what I might be missing? Just seemed really high!
Tim Kindler
Old 11-26-2023, 06:34 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
Someone really wanted this Sisler, and I cannot blame them.

My lone win!

Let’s see yours!

i
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Don,
Congrats on winning this nice looking Sisler card in LOTG. However, the bottom border leads me to very strongly suspect that SGC erred in identifying this as a W575-1 card. Rather, I suspect it is a W501 Type 2 card, which I don't think has yet been recognized by the TPGs. I believe Rhett Y. is the resident expert re these W501 cards - perhaps he will chime in.

As many are aware, I'm an avid collector of Sam Rice cards, and I have examples of his W575-1, W501 Type 1, and W501 Type 2 cards. I have a duplicate of Rice's W501 Type 2 card, and it is currently listed on eBay. In my eBay listing I have info regarding the differences in these cards, which may interest you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354418082729
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:43 PM
Justin

I was happy to pick up this cabinet.

1887JamesBurnsCabinetPhotoOldJudgeProof.jpg

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 11-26-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
I was happy to pick up this cabinet.

Attachment 598672
Nice pickup, Justin.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:03 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
Demand for him seems to have been pretty strong recently. I'm not sure if it is general hobby stuff for specific to Sisler, but I've noticed a run-up in his stuff - especially exhibits.

Congrats on the W575. I had at least one of the bids on your card and would've liked to have it, but I wasn't responsible for running you up.

I'm curious how many people out there would consider themselves to be Sisler collectors. I'm one. Apparently someone else consigned the Sisler collection to Al. Anybody else want to admit to collecting him?
I was the consignor of the Sisler cards, a collection built up over many years. Maybe now his RC will get some love, or at least more interest.
I managed to snag the E125 Speaker, the OJ proof of O'Neil and the '39 Playball autographed card of Bill Dickey and the RC of Frank Robinson.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:20 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Hi Don,
Congrats on winning this nice looking Sisler card in LOTG. However, the bottom border leads me to very strongly suspect that SGC erred in identifying this as a W575-1 card. Rather, I suspect it is a W501 Type 2 card, which I don't think has yet been recognized by the TPGs. I believe Rhett Y. is the resident expert re these W501 cards - perhaps he will chime in.

As many are aware, I'm an avid collector of Sam Rice cards, and I have examples of his W575-1, W501 Type 1, and W501 Type 2 cards. I have a duplicate of Rice's W501 Type 2 card, and it is currently listed on eBay. In my eBay listing I have info regarding the differences in these cards, which may interest you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354418082729
Val, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. It is always a treat to read what you have to share.

I have dug into the material more and I believe you are right. I would not have known this if you had not pointed it out, so thank you.

I am still happy with the purchase. It is a great image of Sisler.

I am not sure how to feel with this new knowledge. SGC/PSA not knowing how to label this variation/type is not really surprising to be honest.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:37 PM
Michael

Congratulations to the winners of any Old Judge proofs. I think there were either too many in the same auction and/or the starting bids on many of them were too high. Six did not receive any bids, six received one bid, and six received more than one bid...and of those six, only two had what I would call "spirited bidding" (Holbert and Bierbauer/Gamble).

I imagine either the consignor and/or Al decided on selling that many with high starting bids, and I can understand worrying that if you start too low it will sell too low, but in hindsight (which of course is 20-20) I think it may have worked against the cards.

I really like them, as I see do some others, but the market may be a little thin to absorb that many at once.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 11-26-2023 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:38 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
Val, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. It is always a treat to read what you have to share.

I have dug into the material more and I believe you are right. I would not have known this if you had not pointed it out, so thank you.

I am still happy with the purchase. It is a great image of Sisler.

I am not sure how to feel with this new knowledge. SGC/PSA not knowing how to label this variation/type is not really surprising to be honest.
Don,
Thanks for your kind words. I agree that your Sisler card has a great batting image of Sisler. And, I would guess that your W501 Type 2 card is scarcer than Sisler's W575-1 card. Hopefully, in time, the TPGs will come around to recognizing these cards.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Sisler is a very interesting player, a huge disparity between how he was traditionally viewed when I was younger and how he's viewed through the lens of more modern metrics. Great information anyhow on the nuances of some of the issues.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:22 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
I was very happy to pick up the Crawford fielding T206 SGC 3.5 and a couple of E98s for old time feelings.......
The Crawford gets it down to 48 to go to tame The Monster.

On another note, does anyone have any idea how the E98 Chase in a 3 went for over a grand??? Phil, or other E98 folks, do you have any idea what I might be missing? Just seemed really high!
Tim Kindler
Hi Tim,

The Orange Chase carries a premium and the Blue even more so since they were not part of BSF, harder to find original circulation cards in those colors in relatively good grades. It was a strong price but it only takes a couple of guys working on the color/set to move it up.

That Chase, the Blue Wagner, Red Young, and Orange Bridwell, were part of a recent 6 card find that was new to the hobby, I'm happy for the consignors and the collector that helped them along the way.

Congrats to whoever picked up the Orange Coombs, which was my consignment along with a dozen others, and one of the rarest player/color combos of the set.

Best of luck finishing the Monster, quite an accomplishment.

-Phil

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 11-26-2023, 09:08 PM
Brian T.

Nice Shoulderless, Star Player and W503, Brian. Those are some toughies!

With so much Sisler eye candy, I didn't recognize the W501-2 v. W575-1 error in the flip. Congrats on what is likely an even tougher card, Don!
Old 11-26-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
Nice Shoulderless, Star Player and W503, Brian. Those are some toughies!

With so much Sisler eye candy, I didn't recognize the W501-2 v. W575-1 error in the flip. Congrats on what is likely an even tougher card, Don!
Thank you, Brian and Happy Holidays.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:53 PM

I was trying for a few other things but this was my lone winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2489.jpg (66.0 KB, 565 views)
Old 11-26-2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I won some items but I am superstitious about posting pick-ups before I have them in hand, so I will wait until the December pick-up thread to show the cards. I will say generically that it was one Old Judge proof cabinet, one Herpolsheimer's, and one Zeenut (and none of them were show-stoppers).

Great auction, but my one quibble is that after the midnight close and the 1 AM "any item that has not had a bid for an hour" close, I would prefer that the remaining items be on individual 15-minute clocks.

Basically, I wanted one (and only one) Herpolsheimer's and had qualified for five during the regular bidding (but was high bidder on none on the last day). At one point three were higher than I wanted to go, so I narrowed it down to two. I was high bidder on one at midnight but was topped after midnight, so I switched off to the other one and became high bidder on that. At 1:00 the other three closed, so only these two were left for me to bid on. By 2:00 nothing more had happened, so I put a max bid on the one I has high bidder on and went to sleep. It was several bids above the current price (even more than the other three which had already closed), so I ran the risk of being bumped up, but I didn't want to go to sleep high bidder on two cards, and I wanted one (strictly for research purposes, of course).

As it turned out nothing happened. All the cards I was high on when I went to sleep closed as that price. But I would have preferred the ability to see quickly if I was going to be outbid on the card I won so I could have pivoted to the other card (which I think a 15-minute individual closing would have allowed me to do more efficiently).

Just a very minor quibble...I imagine the current closing method works better for other people.

I will add that in every recent auction where I have gone to sleep with a max bid on a card, the auto-bid has not come into play at all, let alone being bid up to my max. I know some people don't like to leave max bids, but at least for the usual array of major auctions, I have not had any issues with it.

I couldn’t agree with you more. The bidding process was definitely a bit excessive. When the auction hits 1 am and heads into double overtime it should 100% go into a 15 minute clock for each individual remaining lot in my opinion
Old 11-27-2023, 07:08 AM

Default Great Insight Phil

Tim,

The Orange Chase carries a premium and the Blue even more so since they were not part of BSF, harder to find original circulation cards in those colors in relatively good grades. It was a strong price but it only takes a couple of guys working on the color/set to move it up.

That Chase, the Blue Wagner, Red Young, and Orange Bridwell, were part of a recent 6 card find that was new to the hobby, I'm happy for the consignors and the collector that helped them along the way.

Congrats to whoever picked up the Orange Coombs, which was my consignment along with a dozen others, and one of the rarest player/color combos of the set.

Best of luck finishing the Monster, quite an accomplishment.

-Phil

Thanks for your insight Phil and your best wishes on finishing the T206 set..... It's not the amount of cards left that will take time, but it's the $ amount that is left to spend on completing this set that is scary and time consuming.
Take care,
Tim
Old 11-27-2023, 09:27 AM
Don

Many thanks to Val and Al from LOTG for reaching out on the Sisler card.

Both are class acts, but I am sure many of you knew this.

I am hoping to have the W575-1 (likely really W501 Type 2) card in hand by Friday. If I do, I will take it to the Philadelphia card show and talk to some folks at SGC about it.

If not, I will hope to have a nice discussion with them in Cleveland at next years National.

It is a great card and I want it regardless of its designation.

Many thanks to those who chimed in as well

-Don
Old 11-27-2023, 10:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sisler is a very interesting player, a huge disparity between how he was traditionally viewed when I was younger and how he's viewed through the lens of more modern metrics. Great information anyhow on the nuances of some of the issues.
For those of us who haven't kept up to date on George Sisler...

Just curious about your statement, Peter... Was Sisler viewed as a better player years ago, or is he viewed in higher regard nowadays? I wasn't (and am still not) sure how to interpret the "huge disparity" aspect.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 11-27-2023, 10:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
For those of us who haven't kept up to date on George Sisler...

Just curious about your statement, Peter... Was Sisler viewed as a better player years ago, or is he viewed in higher regard nowadays? I wasn't (and am still not) sure how to interpret the "huge disparity" aspect.

Thanks!
He took a huge hit starting with Bill James who called him, I think, the most overrated player ever and did not rank him in his top 100 as of 1998 I think it was. His Baseball Reference JAWS number rates him as only the 19th best 1B ever, despite the .340 BA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-27-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:09 AM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He took a huge hit starting with Bill James
I read the whole comment, but I wanted to stop here...
Old 11-27-2023, 11:40 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfpro10 View Post
Nice Matty, you've picked up some great photos lately
Old 11-27-2023, 11:40 AM
W@de

Quote:
Congrats, this is a beauty

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2023, 11:46 AM
Todd Schultz

I can't believe Peter is lending support (at least implicitly) to an article critical of a fellow Wolverine. Truly a sad day.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:19 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I think the consignor must have insisted on an opening bid of $2k on the PSA1 John Ward (in full dress) OJ. There were no bids and LOTG and the consignor both lose out. I believe that is a $750 card. Shame.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I can't believe Peter is lending support (at least implicitly) to an article critical of a fellow Wolverine. Truly a sad day.
He's still up there with Gehringer and Barry Larkin.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:11 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
I couldn’t agree with you more. The bidding process was definitely a bit excessive. When the auction hits 1 am and heads into double overtime it should 100% go into a 15 minute clock for each individual remaining lot in my opinion
Absolutely agree. I am a huge fan of Al's auctions, and as a left coaster I benefit from the late closing, but 20+% of the lots not closing until after 3 AM EST is just not reasonable.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 11-27-2023, 02:25 PM
Joe M.

There must be some new blood collecting Old Judge cards, I would be surprised if current collectors paid those prices.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-27-2023, 11:58 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I wanted the McMullen but the Swede is a solid consolation. Love the little bits of coupon at the bottom too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1915 Zeenut Swede Risberg.jpg (222.7 KB, 372 views)
Old 11-28-2023, 03:46 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
There must be some new blood collecting Old Judge cards, I would be surprised if current collectors paid those prices.
As someone who picked up his first handful of Old Judges, raw, a few weeks ago, I was following a few comps in this auction.

I will be ecstatic if the prices weren't a one-off. Mine seem nicer than the comps I was watching, and the comps all went over, or way over what I was thinking they'd get.

I already thought I got an absolute steal. Now, it looks insane.

Those Old Judge proofs are super cool. I'm surprised they didn't go for more.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:52 AM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Congrats! Love the Bain Matty!
Old 11-28-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I wanted the McMullen but the Swede is a solid consolation. Love the little bits of coupon at the bottom too.
Ian,

Congratulations on the Risberg.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:45 AM

+1.

Hola Ian. Send me some pics from DH! I miss it
Old 11-28-2023, 09:02 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Really thrilled to be adding this! One of the coolest Ruth images I've ever seen! And from 1916 type 1!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_32426_1_88416.jpg (196.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 11-28-2023, 09:03 AM

Default Musial

SGC 1 because of back damage but a beautiful front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_32178_1_87297.jpg (201.2 KB, 296 views)
Old 11-28-2023, 02:27 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Really thrilled to be adding this! One of the coolest Ruth images I've ever seen! And from 1916 type 1!
That's a great photo!
Old 11-28-2023, 05:18 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Thank you!
Old 11-28-2023, 05:22 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Awesome example.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:27 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I think the consignor must have insisted on an opening bid of $2k on the PSA1 John Ward (in full dress) OJ. There were no bids and LOTG and the consignor both lose out. I believe that is a $750 card. Shame.
The consignor must have set minimum bid prices on this card and other 19th century material in the auction. Al's a pretty savvy auctioneer and my guess is that he'd probably have started it much lower opening bid if it were up to him.

The card is really nice for a "1". It's one of those "1"s that people would take at the right price. The pin hole at the bottom isn't that glaring of an issue. Very nice image. Only thing is, nobody wants to pay a premium for a "1" grade on a common HOFer (even with a nice image).
Old 11-28-2023, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Congrats! Love the Bain Matty!
Thanks Bicem, Swadewade51 and Pherbener for the kind words. It’s my first Matty and I love it. The more I dig into the history of all these old photos the more I love them. I can say i am officially hooked on these old vintage photos. Thanks to everyone along the way with all the helpful advice.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:45 PM
Robert Williams

Totally forgot about this one.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:11 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
+1.

Hola Ian. Send me some pics from DH! I miss it
Thanks for the nice words guys.

And funny you should mention Ryan, I was just there again about 2 weeks ago. Much warmer than Anchorage.
DH.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg