NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Guys, this thread is from the archives. It was written without a lot of knowledge that has evolved since then about the set. I just used it as a fun way to make a different collection from the set. I’m not sure who Ralph was or is, if he’s still with us or passed on. Because I was looking for these particular cards I watched so many auctions with various large groups to see if certain cards were there. So far from his list the consistent card many people are lacking when they sell is Merchant. And most guys know there are some crazy tough series 8 cards. To get to the point I am at with these has taken 5 years, but I passed on some cards many times because of price. This is just a fun thread to read, but as to actual scarcity (or rarity), take it all with a grain of salt. Ralph himself said what is tough to one collector isn’t the same for another. Times change. And K, do you recognize some of the cards in my group? Especially the mascot should seem familiar to you. Enjoy the hunt!

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 01-22-2023, 11:10 AM

I have about 135 different spread across the eight series. I don't think Hyames is an SP as I had dupes of it a couple years ago.

Andy
Old 01-22-2023, 01:59 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by t213 View Post
I have about 135 different spread across the eight series. I don't think Hyames is an SP as I had dupes of it a couple years ago.

Andy
I would agree, Hyames is not all that hard to find over time, but it’s rarely cheap! The most interesting question regarding that card is why. Like, why is he the guy from Wilmington they chose as the sole representative for the set?

Old 01-23-2023, 07:16 AM
Frank Wakefield

I remember this old thread, I feel like someone has trod across my grave.

There were a bunch of these old cards, and pre internet they weren't widely known nor collected.

My focus was on series 6, because I'm a Kentuckian. Once upon a time I managed to have 65 of the 66 cards, lacking Angermeier fielding (a description that annoys me still, because I think he's just standing with his catcher's mitt). I still have yet to see one, but I'm sure they're out there. After I sold and traded away most of my T210's, a friend collector contacted me saying that he'd acquired one, and he'd sell it to me if I still needed the card. (Do we really need a card?) I thanked him for thinking of me, and said no, I'd started selling them. I wish I'd sold different cards, and kept those.

I still have about 4 dozen of them. Fewer than 2 dozen from series 6, maybe a dozen series 8 Nashville cards, and then a few of the other series. This thread revives some good memories. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:55 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I remember this old thread, I feel like someone has trod across my grave.

There were a bunch of these old cards, and pre internet they weren't widely known nor collected.

My focus was on series 6, because I'm a Kentuckian. Once upon a time I managed to have 65 of the 66 cards, lacking Angermeier fielding (a description that annoys me still, because I think he's just standing with his catcher's mitt). I still have yet to see one, but I'm sure they're out there. After I sold and traded away most of my T210's, a friend collector contacted me saying that he'd acquired one, and he'd sell it to me if I still needed the card. (Do we really need a card?) I thanked him for thinking of me, and said no, I'd started selling them. I wish I'd sold different cards, and kept those.

I still have about 4 dozen of them. Fewer than 2 dozen from series 6, maybe a dozen series 8 Nashville cards, and then a few of the other series. This thread revives some good memories. Thanks.
This is the card, it sold in REA last October. I didn’t get it, but this is the photo from the auction.

My intention of reviving this thread was exactly your response, to bring back some good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 083E9EE5-D14A-4EF8-B47D-FE4A8B3F26D0.jpg (195.8 KB, 120 views)

Old 01-23-2023, 08:11 PM
Frank Wakefield

Ed, Thank You, Sir!

If I'd gotten that card back when, maybe the complete 66 cards would have been a reason to keep them.

Is that a baseball in his right hand? That card you've posted has the best image I recall ever seeing. And a bit of a smile / smirk on his face...

Leo Angermeier was born and died in Louisville, Kentucky. He died in 1919, at age 29. I may dig around and find out what I can about him.

Do you recall about what that card auctioned for? It's in great shape!
Old 01-23-2023, 08:29 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Ed, Thank You, Sir!

If I'd gotten that card back when, maybe the complete 66 cards would have been a reason to keep them.

Is that a baseball in his right hand? That card you've posted has the best image I recall ever seeing. And a bit of a smile / smirk on his face...

Leo Angermeier was born and died in Louisville, Kentucky. He died in 1919, at age 29. I may dig around and find out what I can about him.

Do you recall about what that card auctioned for? It's in great shape!
Frank,

It sold for$510. My family was just out in Lexington over Christmas. We had a good time. Kentucky was pretty, and plenty to do. We want to go back in Spring and see it with leaves and flowers. Anyway, looking at that auction, it just struck me how unoriginal they were with some of these cards. Case in point….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB351B05-42F2-4179-961C-6A917D562FE3.jpg (195.0 KB, 79 views)

Old 01-22-2023, 11:26 AM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Enjoy the hunt!
Words of wisdom my friend.

Your site is fantastic and it was nice to see the result of years of patient, meticulous collecting. I forgot about that Carl Mitze card...I know it has been years.

Anecdotally of course, I think Series 8 is the toughest. Back in 2013, I started collecting data on all the T210s that came to market, to assemble some type of population report, but the effort didn't last long. Just not enough hours in the day.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:02 PM
rgpete

Interesting List and Read
Cabrol, Raleigh Series 7 not mentioned in the above list, but was mention in J.R.Burdick's Letter dated Feb 25, 1939 as being new at that time from a post by Leon dated 6/25/2015. The Cabrol that I got through a trade from Net54 BST was the same from a REA 2015 Fall Auction Lot 105. Just my 2 cents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RED 002.jpg (81.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg RED 001.jpg (110.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg ccbbannouncebur1z.jpg (193.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 1910-era-baseball-boxing-tobacco-card-collection-including-t209-t210-lorillards-mechanics-2.jpg (127.5 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by rgpete; 01-22-2023 at 12:15 PM.