NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Default Cards with wrong backs???

I'm not familiar with how vintage cards were printed, but is there a standard reason why some cards were printed with the wrong back???

My guess would be that the cards were printed on one side first and then the sheet was turned over and placed incorrectly back on the printing press???

(This question is specifically referring to cards with one player listed on the front and another player listed on the back.)

Was the printing process changed at some point so that cards are no longer printed with the wrong back or is this phenomenon still occurring today???

Thank you in advance for any responses...
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I'm not familiar with how vintage cards were printed, but is there a standard reason why some cards were printed with the wrong back???

My guess would be that the cards were printed on one side first and then the sheet was turned over and placed incorrectly back on the printing press???

(This question is specifically referring to cards with one player listed on the front and another player listed on the back.)

Was the printing process changed at some point so that cards are no longer printed with the wrong back or is this phenomenon still occurring today???

Thank you in advance for any responses...
Yes it is because the sheet got flipped. Sometimes it can be an alignment issue as well. In 2000 or 2001 I pulled two wrong back cards from a pack and I sold both of them a few years ago (had I known they wouldn't sell for more than $10/card I would have kept them). So yes it still can happen, but quality control is a lot better now.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Steve Birmingham

It can happen a few ways.

Usually a number of sheets of one side are printed, then the whole batch is run through a different press, or the same press setup with different plates.

If a sheet gets stacked upside down the backs will all be wrong and upside down. And usually off center, but not always.

If a sheet gets misfed, and jams it can get the wrong backs on part of it. The other part is usually wrecked.

If there are different sheets - lets say sheet A and sheet B- If a sheet A gets run through along with the B sheets the backs will of course be wrong.

If the plates are made wrong the backs can be in the wrong place. One of the modern sets had that happen, maybe UD black diamond? I forget the year. They corrected it, but some wrong backs were common.

If the print run is large, some modern equipment might almost eliminate wrongbacks. Presses that print from a large roll of stock, presses that print both sides at once, that sort of thing.

Steve B
Old 01-22-2015, 03:06 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Interesting responses; thank you...I assumed with modern printing techniques both sides to be printed simultaneously which would prevent any errors...

As a follow up question, if the printing error occurred because the sheet was flipped incorrectly, would the error backs usually correspond with the opposing number on the sheet???

For example, if a sheet had 8 rows with 10 cards per row, (80 cards total) and was flipped over incorrectly, would the error on the back of card #1 be card #80 and the back of card #2 be card #79, etc...Does this sound like it would be the most common way an error card would be produced???...
Old 01-22-2015, 08:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

1989 Topps and Fleer were notorious for wrong backs. Most famous to me (and I just found mine from way back when) were the Fleer Tom Brookens and Mike Heath cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 PM
Archive

Quote:
Still occurs today.

In 2009 Topps put out a T206 set with modern players on the fronts. I thought it might be fun to build a set as a side project.

One of the packs I opened contained a card with Todd Helton on the front, but had a miscut back along with a portion of Eric Aybar's card back on it.

Jantz
Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Koskie/Jeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeter-Koskie.jpg (78.1 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg Jeter-Koskie Back.jpg (77.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

i have a bonds 1987 rookie with spike owen on the back - got to chalk it up to human error, always happened probably always will
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:47 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Interesting...Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why some of these would happen...I mean, I can't imagine the Jeter/Koskie card being a "flipping" error when looking at the card numbers...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Јąмεș ωąlĸεѓ

Quote:
Interesting...Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why some of these would happen...I mean, I can't imagine the Jeter/Koskie card being a "flipping" error when looking at the card numbers...
Cards are not printed "consecutively" on sheets, that is card #4 in the set is not between cards #3 and #5 ... here is an example from 1985 Topps Sheet (image from someones eBay auction).

Guessing there is no particular reason how card numbers are placed on the sheet.

Thanks,
ChiSoxFan

Last edited by ChiSoxFan; 01-23-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM
P@trick R.omolo

You can see the outline of Koskie's name and stats under Jeter's, I think Steve explained how this could have happened when I posted this card before
but it was a while ago and I don't remember. I have a couple more with the
wrong backs on them that came from the same box that I had bought when
they first came out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeter-Koskie Back - Copy.jpg (78.9 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by Pat R; 01-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If I remember correctly (IIRC) from the Heath/Brookens one I posted before, the cards were laid out side by side on the front, but laid out the same way on the back. So instead of printing the Brookens on Brookens, it always printed on Heath in the early runs. Of course, this set had many other well-documented issues, so they made many changes to the print sheets over the run.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yeah, for what we collect it is usually a flipped sheet in the press. The card will often have an upside down back:

I am collecting a 1948 Leaf boxing wrong back set and the same cards always appear with the corresponding fronts, i.e., the Benny Leonard has the John L Sullivan back and the John L Sullivan has the Benny Leonard back.

FWIW, PSA won't slab these kinds of mistakes but SGC will [PSA kicked the part of my recent order that included a wrong back 1962 Drysdale and some other wrong backs and blank backs].

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-23-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
You can see the outline of Koskie's name and stats under Jeter's, I think Steve explained how this could have happened when I posted this card before
but it was a while ago and I don't remember. I have a couple more with the
wrong backs on them that came from the same box that I had bought when
they first came out.
Either the blue plate had Jeter in Koskies place, or the sheet was run through the blue run for a different sheet.

Either way it's only a half-wrongback Pretty cool.

Steve B
Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Thank you ChiSoxFan for that Topps scan...It's interesting they would print the cards that way (out of order)...Also, thank you Exhibitman for your scans...Perhaps the "old school" way of printing is what normally caused the "flipping" errors, and the new card errors are cause from some other printing method???...IDK...But all of these type of error cards are pretty cool...
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
1989 Topps and Fleer were notorious for wrong backs. Most famous to me (and I just found mine from way back when) were the Fleer Tom Brookens and Mike Heath cards.
Here are front/back pictures of the 89 Fleer Brookens/Heath wrong backs from a sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4030.jpg (74.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4027.jpg (75.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default wrong backs

You guys could at least think about pre-war....(and I realize the question had to do with one player on back.....)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe92menageriemurphy.jpg (78.3 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-26-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1941 Play Ball & 1949 Leaf wrong backs

TED Z
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Tony Davis

Default 1949 Bowman Kell

49 Bowman Kell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (74.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-15-2015, 04:05 PM

Default 63 Topps w/ wrong back

photo mantlefbmppg_zpsc6dcabf2.png