NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM
Michael B Michael B is offline
Mh wߥ
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
That is an extremely broad interpretation of fair use.
Actually it is not. If you are doing it for your own personal use there is no copyright violation. It is no different than purchasing a CD and downloading it onto whatever device you wish to use to listen to it. If you already own the item you can enjoy it for personal use as you see fit. As I said, as long as you do not share it with someone you are not violating the law. Even giving it for free has been ruled illegal, hello Napster. Steven said he would pay for a scanned copy. In effect asking someone to break the law.

Why would you scan a book for your personal use? If it is a book that is particularly valuable or expensive and you know that you will refer to it many times a day/week/month it would make sense to scan it so that you do not cause damage to the book itself.
__________________
'Integrity is what you do when no one is looking'

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Bugsy's Avatar
Bugsy Bugsy is offline
hri$ $€X₮Ν
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Actually it is not. If you are doing it for your own personal use there is no copyright violation. It is no different than purchasing a CD and downloading it onto whatever device you wish to use to listen to it. If you already own the item you can enjoy it for personal use as you see fit. As I said, as long as you do not share it with someone you are not violating the law. Even giving it for free has been ruled illegal, hello Napster. Steven said he would pay for a scanned copy. In effect asking someone to break the law.

Why would you scan a book for your personal use? If it is a book that is particularly valuable or expensive and you know that you will refer to it many times a day/week/month it would make sense to scan it so that you do not cause damage to the book itself.
If you purchase a CD and convert it to a different format for your own use, your initial purchase has compensated the owner of the copyright. That doesn't mean you can make copies for other people. Same is true in this example. If you already purchased the book, you can copy what you want from it for your own use. What you can't do is go to the library and scan a book cover to cover.

As far as your argument is concerned, intended use is only one of four fair use factors. All four factors are considered when arguing fair use. In this example, taking an entire work, not adding any commentary, insight, or value, and not compensating the author are reasons why you can't copy a book cover to cover. If you decide to copy a large portion of a print title, it is usually wise to pay copyright fees to the author. It's easiest to do this through the Copyright Clearance Center.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overvie...er_of_your_use
__________________
Always looking for:

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Bearfan4 Bearfan4 is offline
drew L@Vine
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 373
Default

If anyone else is willing to sell their Malta bat book, please let me know. I have tried to purchase multiple times on amazon in the past couple years and everytime they seem to have to wait 90+ days for it to arrive and just send me my $$ back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,324
Default

I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Shipping is $8.00 priority mail Total $48.00
PayPal is zanebats@comcast.net
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:01 PM
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE's Avatar
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE EYECOLLECTVINTAGE is offline
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Shipping is $8.00 priority mail Total $48.00
PayPal is zanebats@comcast.net
Is that the publisher?
__________________
buying and selling like it's my job. damn, it kinda is now. lol
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Duluth Eskimo's Avatar
Duluth Eskimo Duluth Eskimo is offline
Ja.son Hugh.es
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,324
Default

I don't believe so, Zane buys and sells game used bats. I'm not sure what level of participation in the book he had or just has extras from the original publishing. As I gave his contact info, I think you should contact him with any questions.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2017, 03:37 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 1,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I spoke with Zane and he says he has copies available if anyone is interested. I told him I would help him out by posting it here.

Shipping is $8.00 priority mail Total $48.00
PayPal is zanebats@comcast.net
That seems like a smoking deal. Scanning was never going to work, because these books were bound very poorly and if you fold the pages back all the way, they are sure to fall out. I've had two and they both fell apart. Still, a great resource!
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 PM
thecatspajamas's Avatar
thecatspajamas thecatspajamas is offline
L@nce Fit.tro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
That seems like a smoking deal. Scanning was never going to work, because these books were bound very poorly and if you fold the pages back all the way, they are sure to fall out. I've had two and they both fell apart. Still, a great resource!
Very true. Scanning your personal copy to keep the original in good shape would be counter-productive. By the time you were done, you'd have a loose-leaf original

I believe Zane purchased the remainder of the original publisher's stock a while back. His price is very reasonable considering how tough they are to find second-hand.
__________________
Non-eBay Web Store with lower prices than what I post on eBay along with many items not listed in my eBay store.
eBay fixed price listings and (mostly) weekly auctions can still be found here.
Also check out Survivor Store for all of your Survivor collecting needs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-08-2017, 03:47 AM
MooseDog's Avatar
MooseDog MooseDog is offline
J Stone
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 773
Default

Lots of book sellers on Amazon don't actually have any books in inventory, they just pirate other Amazon listings or from other sources and drop-ship. There are some operations making literally millions on other people's listings.

Similar to the way sportsmemorabilia.com operates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan4 View Post
If anyone else is willing to sell their Malta bat book, please let me know. I have tried to purchase multiple times on amazon in the past couple years and everytime they seem to have to wait 90+ days for it to arrive and just send me my $$ back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vince Malta Louisville Slugger Book ovfb18 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 0 12-05-2017 11:20 AM
Vince Malta Louisville Slugger Book ovfb18 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 2 12-05-2017 11:14 AM
Vince Malta Book eastonfalcon19 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 2 08-27-2014 09:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


ebay GSB