NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default OT: No Hitter

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

I was at an Eastern League (AA) game last night between the Trenton Thunder (NYY affiliate) and the Harrisburg Senators (Wash. Nationals). The game was played in Harrisburg. The Thunder pitcher tossed a no hitter. That was really cool! At the end, the crowd was on its feet rooting for Tyler Clippard, the Thunder pitcher to strike out the last Senator. According to the Thunder website, it was the first no hitter thrown in Trenton's 13 year history.

It is always neat to see history in the making.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Its nice unless the guy pitches for the Yankees! Then its just horrible. I was surprised to hear that was their first no-hitter,the Lakewood Blueclaws(single-A,Phillies) are the closest minor league team to me and they just threw their 3rd no-hitter in their 6th season,just a few days ago.I got to listen to the end of it on the radio once i realized it was going on after 7 innings.Ive never attended a no-hitter tho. I have been to the Thunder stadium(Waterfront Park) and cant believe its been 13 years since it opened,i was at the 2nd game ever there,first game sold out in minutes

Old 08-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

John,

The San Diego Padres have been in the NL West since 1969 and not one Padre pitcher has thrown a no hitter. There have been a few thrown against the Pads though. Also, there's never been a Padre hitter to hit for the cycle.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Who have been in the NL since 1962 have had a no-no.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Tom Terriffic pitched a no hitter, too bad he was on the Reds when he did it...

Old 08-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Fred its funny you should mention that because just yesterday,If you listen to the Padres games(i have xm so i catch them when no one else is on) youll hear they have a contest that says "if a Padres player hits for the cycle you win (some sort of) prize!" . I was laughing at that because i thought they couldve been running that contest since day one and no one wouldve won it....and why not just throw in if one of their pitchers throws a no-hitter too

Old 08-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

The Colt 45's/Astros have been in the League since 1962 and have had 10 No-Hitters.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

Actually I used to work for Thunder, and am still very good friends with Lakewood GM. The recent Lakewood no hitter was done by two pitchers (I believe, maybe 3). I've been to 100's of minor league games, and never seen one.

Just got back from visiting parents in NJ, and saw a Lakewood game. 7,000 fans on a Tuesday night !!!!!!!!! Unreal; the next Savannah game I attend will probably draw 700.

Of course, if you get a chance, visit any and all minor league parks -- GREAT FUN. Harrisburg is especially cool because the field is on an island in the middle of the Susquehannah (sp?) River. They've been playing on the island since the 1880's.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

John,

Mike Cameron (a former Met) almost hit for the cycle this year. He had the 2B, 3B and HR out of the way. The Pads were comfortably in the lead. In what was his final at bat for the game (8th inning) he had a 3-0 pitch (with a runner on base) and he took the pitch rather than swinging. The count went to 3-1. I think he walked on the following pitch. Talk about old school. He didn't want to go for the single and show up the other team because the Pads were out front with a large lead. That's about as close as any Padre has come to the cycle.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator

The Blueclaws no-hitter was done by 2 guys and the other team actually scored a run on some walks and an rbi groundout.They draw great there and they do good things in the community too. Ive been to 4 games this year and about 50 in the past.Theyre actually close to clinching their first playoff spot and im sure the place will be standing room only the first game.

The Padres and their lack of a cycle or no-hitter is amazing but the Worcester Ruby Legs havent thrown a no-hitter since 1880 so i dont feel bad for Padres fans