NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Default Maybe OT? - eBay Payment Options for Sellers

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H)

I seem to be inadvertently listing items (via Vendio) that only list Paypal (which I realize is owned by eBay )
So I just want to make sure I understand : (or please confirm or deny the following)

A seller MUST accept Paypal (or some other electronic method of payment)

BUT
sellers can also accept the other forms of payment, Money Orders, Cashier Checks, Banks Checks and even Personal Checks.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

My understanding is that eBay no longer allows you to say that check or MO are accepted as part of the "Accepted Payments" portion of the listing & Paypal MUST be accepted. You can still offer the buyer to pay by check or MO in an email post purchase.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

From what I understand you can't offer to accept paper
payments through the ebay system.

With that said if a buyer asks me through the ebay system
if I accept paper payments I try to answer through my email account.

Also, and technically I am wrong in my ebay invoice to them
I state that if they prefer payment can be sent to me at:

And I give my name and address. If no one rats me out I'll be ok.

I have a few buyers that insist on paying by check.

Steve

Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I asked a seller today if they would accept a money order...they said yes. I don't always have money in my paypal and I don't like them taking money out of my bank account so I usually sell something to get money in my paypal.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

I recently won some ebay auctions from Dan McKee (ebay id darby-s). He states that Paypal is accepted. And right below the paypal box he's added:

Seller's payment instructions
Checks or Money Orders preferred and get IMMEDIATE shipping!

Dan Mckee
xxxxx xxxxx Road
City, State, zip

Since Dan is well known, and I don't expect there will be any probs with the transaction, I sent him a personal check. He'll save a few bucks that paypal would've charged him. And perhaps if I buy from him again in the future, he might remember this and give me a slight discount wink.gif

Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Misunderestimated

After talking to eBay I fixed (or removed) my listings. The answer seems to be that sellers may not advertise (i.e. no paper forms of payment may be referenced as "acceptable" in a listing).

Old 02-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Laura

It's my understanding that we may not put anything at all about checks or money orders or other forms of payment anywhere in our auctions.

The only thing we can do, is if someone emails us to ask if we'll take such, is say yes in reply. But we can't make the first move, only respond.

I am conflicted about it. On the one hand, I had buyers who paid with checks who may no longer be buying on eBay now, and I think that's bad. On the other hand, my bank is a 40 minute drive away (we are so far out in the country we have to drive towards town to hunt), and depositing them in a timely fashion was a pita.

But in principle, I am annoyed that it's one more way that eBay thinks it can make our decisions for us. I don't need a big brother to protect me, just a platform from which I can sell. So at the end of the day, I don't like being told I can only use PayPal, ProPay (which is so unknown that I doubt many buyers use it), or get a merchant Mastercard/Visa account. eBay should be trying to expand the ways in which sales can be made using their site, not limiting them.

But there's not many of the recent changes I do like...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I've wondered what sellers are supposed to do if you have a $10k+ item to sell. Paypal has a $10k per transaction limit from what I understand, but it still won't let you list anything else as an acceptable payment method.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

An M116 Wagner was removed from ebay because the seller stated that he did not take Paypal. If you put in your ad that you takes checks and money orders but not PayPal you are wasting your time and money listing it.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

I still state in my auctions that check and mo are acceptted (along with papypal, of course). When I send out invoice, I just state if the winner would like to pay by check/mo, just request my address.

I would say less than 10% ask, and Big Bother has yet to shut me down. Not that I'm a rebel, it's just the way I like to do business. That may change, but I doubt it.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Under the "Seller's Payment Instructions" at the very bottom of the auction page, I've noticed a few sellers adding something akin to:

All Payments to John Smith, 1414 Maple St., Denver, CO 80208

That seems to be the new euphemism for "I take checks and Money Orders despite Ebay's annoying policies"

Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

I actually asked that question once to a paypal rep.

"How does a person pay more then what is allowed"?

His answer was the buyer can make 2 or 3 payments for the item.

I replied that if a seller allowed that he could be scammed
because he would then need 3 DC or 3 Signature confirmations.

The rep had no answer for that.

Steve