NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Default Ebay question- combined shipping

I have purchased about $1000 worth of cards during the last two months from a seller on ebay whose shipping policy is $3.00 shipping, not matter how many cards you win. I just won 6 cards on ebay last weekend totalling about $135 and when I went to pay for them, it said the shipping was $18. (All were purchased at the same time). I hit the "request new total" button but he has never responded. I did this several times this week, sent him emails, and even called his phone and left a message.
I went ahead and paid for the most expensive of the cards with the $3 shipping, but this is ridiculous. He has a feedback score of 70,000 but only a 99.3% rating with tons of negatve feedbacks. Great cards but horrible customer service.
My question is how I can cancel the transactions rather than have him send 5single cards and pay $15 shipping for an envelope with little packing? Should I just eat the shipping cost, neg him and not order with him again?
Thanks,
tbob
Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Luke Lyon

I'd call ebay and explain the situation. We know ebay almost always sides with the buyer. Earlier this year, a seller sent me a graded card without padding and the case cracked. I opened a case and said I juat wanted $13 to re-submit the card to SGC. The buyer agreed but never followed through, and ebay credited me $13 in my Paypal account. So opening a case might work. This guy might be horrible at customer service, and opening a case might be the only way to get his attention.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Thanks Luke but it looks like he has had numerous cases opened on him for not sending cards (he did this to me in the first shipment and ebay paid me for the cards) sending the wrong card (he did this to me in the last shipment and after requesting that he send me the right card and that I would return the wrong one at my expense, I opened up a claim) and now totally ignoring me. His user id is klinger83 and he has 70,000 feedback score and a ton of complaints. He does have have great cards though....
Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Bob Donaldson

I think with a seller like this its best to pass, just on principle

Is there a reason not too, does he have cards you could NEVER find somewhere else?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default seller rules

it's very easy for a seller to set up simple rules for shipping multiple items. Takes 4 seconds to set an auction to utilize a rule to not charge shipping for additional items. It need not be a manual intervention.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default seller

His feedback makes me wonder what is going on. He has over 4000 positives in the past month, and he seems to have received around 40 negatives in the past month. He doesn't have anything for sale now, which seems strange for someone who has been selling 4000 to 5000 items per month. Did he take a vacation, or maybe he is sick? He has 374 followers and many repeat buyers.

Something happening here - what it is ain't exactly clear.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Kev1n @1les

I have bought a lot from him as he does a lot of set breaks for 50's and 60's topps and I have been able to fill some holes. One time, I bought a card and immediately paid. I then found two additional that ended the next day.

I sent him an email asking if he could wait and ship them together and I could save on shipping if I happen to win the other two - even though it was my fault that I paid immediately.

He told me that it would be no problem and wished me luck on the other auctions.

The next day, I won the other auctions and kept waiting for an invoice to reflect 0 in shipping as he would combine them. I sent him an email reminding him and he zero'd it out and sent it to me.

The next day, I received the first card without the other two. Two days later, the other two cards arrived. So, even though it was my fault, he allowed me to combine. Then, (because I am guessing that he has other packing, shipping, etc.) it sent out - but he still ate the shipping costs of the other two.

So, I have nothing but good things to say about him. It did take a few hours to get a response and I thought, for a while, that I would have to pay shipping when he had told me that he would send them together (and my max bid reflected this projected savings) - but in the end, he held to his word, even though it cost him.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 10-16-2014, 04:39 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I'd just neg him and give 1's for all of this DSR's and move on. (All of the DSR's since I don't think that ebay even cares about the communication seller rating any more after the latest Fall Seller Update.)
Old 10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Mike P.ap

Default great advice from 2 veteran members....ugh!

Really Gary and Tbob?

Bad advice Gary. Bad line of thinking Tbob.

I used to think that the more posts someone had on here that those folks had apretty good handle on the world of collecting to include decency and common sense. I've just been proven wrong by not one but two "veterans" of net54.

For starters, tbob says he has spent over $1000 with the guy before so I'm assuming he has always paid $3 for multiple items as he states clearly. So.........he admits to basically taking advantage of the policy (no sweat, so would everyone else) BUT you admit to it clearly. This tells me that after your $1000 of purchases that you have been happy (clearly) since you keep spending with this guy. So now after he most likely made a simple mistake or maybe he has fled town (who cares), you ask "should I neg him"?
All I can say is what gives you that right? have you paid for the cards? Have you given him a chance to refund your money? You clearly do not want to do the transaction yet you are considering negging him?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? And it appears Nagging him as well! Oh, and you admit to recent past problems with him but you still choose to bid on his cards......because they are "great"??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

And Gary......heck, you don't even want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt after he has sent $1000 of cards to tbob and eaten all that shipping on those transactions. (if anyone wants to tell me that $3 P&H is "fair" then you have never shipped an item in your life or you just like getting over on folks). Gary also ignores the fact that another net54 member (Kevin: kailes2872) swears by this guy.

Good advice, lets NEG him. Maybe a family member died. Maybe he is sick. Maybe he has accumulated all of those $3 from those transactions and fled to Venezuala (if he has, maybe he can find me some '67 Venezuala Topps cards.

Peace, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-16-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

I'd call Ebay. If he has a stated shipping policy, and he hasn't changed it, then it's his responsibility to adhere to it.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Luke Lyon

Mike,

I don't really understand what you're saying. I've never charged more than $3 for any cards I've sold on this site. Does that mean everyone who bought from me was "taking advantage of me"? Your line of thinking on the combined shipping is odd to me. However, I don't really disagree with giving the guy the benefit of the doubt since tbob has ultimately received a fair shipping charge every time previous. Also, it seems like this should have been expected to some degree.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default P&H

Luke,

My point on the $3 P&H is that it is extremely FAIR and if someone charges that then so be it but it is evident from my 4500 transactions on Ebay and hundreds of deals before Ebay that to use that service and then all of a sudden have problems with a $135 transaction is not giving the guy the benefit.

Not sure what is confusing. If I'm paying $3 for P&H, then I am happy but deep down I know that typically $3 is not fair to the seller due to: packaging materials, time taken for care of shipping, listing time, research on an item, driving to post office if that's what some do............its a steal.

I applaud you for sticking to that fee but I think you know that its quite frankly a deal.

If tbob had spent $1000 with you over the past year and then even thought of leaving you negative feedback or talking about you on a public board (even though he has admitted not even paying yet!!!) then you might be upset if circumstances prevented you from getting back to him.

If the guy has turned bad and tbob got burned then clearly he has a point but not sure it is there yet. If I was confusing, sorry. I was fired up.

Thanks,

mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBaseBallist View Post
I'd call Ebay. If he has a stated shipping policy, and he hasn't changed it, then it's his responsibility to adhere to it.
Adam,

Well said and to the point unlike my ranting. Thanks for your service and sorry about my 67 Venezualan joke. Just noticed you collect them! eace, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:24 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

I always enjoy a good Topps Venezuelan joke. The soldier in my profile pic is actually my son, Chris. He's an E-2/Private at Fort Sam Houston.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default :)

Adam,

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I hear FT Sam Houston is sometimes as hot as Venezuela!

Congrats on bringing up a fine looking son and Soldier.

peace, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-16-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Luke Lyon

Ok, I got it now. I agree with all that.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Dave

Should have just not paid for any of the cards until you got a revised invoice, no matter how long it took.

Only thing you would have been out is time. You haven't gotten your cards, but he hasn't gotten your money either.

From looking at the guys feedback and completed sales, it looks like he's put more on his plate then he can handle, and maybe took a break.

If he eventually filed a UPI without revising the invoice, you would have had something to be concerned about, and could have approached it from the defect/neg/dsr standpoint.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
And Gary......heck, you don't even want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt after he has sent $1000 of cards to tbob and eaten all that shipping on those transactions. (if anyone wants to tell me that $3 P&H is "fair" then you have never shipped an item in your life or you just like getting over on folks). Gary also ignores the fact that another net54 member (Kevin: kailes2872) swears by this guy.

Good advice, lets NEG him. Maybe a family member died. Maybe he is sick. Maybe he has accumulated all of those $3 from those transactions and fled to Venezuala (if he has, maybe he can find me some '67 Venezuala Topps cards.

Peace, mike
Mike, did you even look at the feedback for this seller on ebay (klinger83)? He has 43 negs in the last month, and 172 in the last year. This is not something that may have just happened recently such as illness, but it is consistently bad customer service. And you can't say it's just volume either. Look at someone like PWCC on ebay, who has roughly the same amount of feedback in the last 12 months. However, they only have 6 negs in the last 12 months. Six compared to 172!

I actually sell a lot on ebay, and I've sold thousands of items in the past, so I have shipped plenty of cards before. I use $3 shipping for a graded card and $2.25 for a raw card with 50 cents additional item for combined shipping. I do not offer $3 no matter how many cards you win or free shipping. However, no one forced this seller to have these rules. He made them himself and believed that it was a good business practice to do so. The issue is that when buyers purchase items from him, they factor this combined shipping into their calculations on whether the item is worth that price. So, if they did not receive this discount, they may not have purchased. So don't even tell me that any buyer should be grateful for the shipping discounts they received.

If you think I'm being harsh, hey, at least I wasn't like some board members in this thread (Link) who seriously believed that a grader at PSA should have been fired for one grading mistake. If you hit 172 negatives, I don't know where you are in comparison to that situation.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Neg?

Gary,
I think I was fairly clear on my points. I did not look at the guy's history because it was not my point. I noted that if the guy was up to no good that he should be punished with a Neg or removal from Ebay etc..... but I was only pointing out that it was a bit premature to jump to that conclusion.

If in fact tbob paid him for one of the cards and the card never arrived then what is one negative going to do when the guy has 43 in the past month? All he needs to do is file a claim with Ebay and move on.

I question why if in fact he had 43 negatives then why would anyone even be dealing with this guy in the first place?

I admit that if both of you saw that he had all these negatives then of course it is an option (and a right) to leave a negative on a bad deal but it seemed tbob either ignored the warning signs or may have just made a bad decision and was trying to right it.

I apologize if I offended but I was fired up. I have seen folks leave negatives for very suspect reasons before and in some cases it is just not fair. I have over 4500 deals on Ebay at 100% but have friends who have gotten stung with nefarious negs.

What we have on this Net54 board is a great forum to convey our thoughts and opinions and to ponder other people's thoughts.

Good points Gary. I'm over it.

Peace, mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-17-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Mike, did you even look at the feedback for this seller on ebay (klinger83)? He has 43 negs in the last month, and 172 in the last year. This is not something that may have just happened recently such as illness, but it is consistently bad customer service.
Sorry to bump this old thread. It appears as though this seller passed away a short time after this thread was started :

http://www.elkharttruth.com/obituari...f-P-Kling.html
Old 12-14-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Really Gary and Tbob?

Bad advice Gary. Bad line of thinking Tbob.

I used to think that the more posts someone had on here that those folks had apretty good handle on the world of collecting to include decency and common sense. I've just been proven wrong by not one but two "veterans" of net54.

For starters, tbob says he has spent over $1000 with the guy before so I'm assuming he has always paid $3 for multiple items as he states clearly. So.........he admits to basically taking advantage of the policy (no sweat, so would everyone else) BUT you admit to it clearly. This tells me that after your $1000 of purchases that you have been happy (clearly) since you keep spending with this guy. So now after he most likely made a simple mistake or maybe he has fled town (who cares), you ask "should I neg him"?
All I can say is what gives you that right? have you paid for the cards? Have you given him a chance to refund your money? You clearly do not want to do the transaction yet you are considering negging him?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? And it appears Nagging him as well! Oh, and you admit to recent past problems with him but you still choose to bid on his cards......because they are "great"??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Peace, mike
I just saw this post because it popped back up on the board. Mike you must have been having a crotchety day when you wrote this. I did end up paying for all the cards, paying vastly excessive shipping despite his promise to combine in his ad, not receiving any of them, and had to use ebay and paypal to eventually receive a refund. After all this happened I did see that he had passed away. (I'm sorry he passed away but his past atrocious customer service started long before he became ill). If a buyer buys multiple items from a seller who promises to combine shipping, he should do so. I have had to "eat" shipping charges before just because I thought it was the right thing to do, morally right and also to make sure the buyer was happy.
I also don't care for the potshot about my credibility on this board. You don't know me and I think your shot was way out of line.
Merry Christmas.
tbob
Old 12-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Dave_Berg

Wow....just wow...