NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Default W502 Back Mystery

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Hi All:

I'm hoping that you guys can help me figure something out.

I've been slowly working on a 1928 W502 set over the last few months. These cards don't come around very often; it seems like everybody has one or two, but except for one friend I have yet to meet anyone who has a significant accumulation of these. So it's been a slow slog, getting through the set. Right now I have about 15 of the 62 cards.

One thing I'm finding is that there's a bit of a mystery about the backs. Perhaps it's because I haven't spoken with the right person yet, but nobody seems to be able to shed any light on the many variations - so I figured I would do it myself.

From what I can see, there may be as many as 18 different back variations of these cards - which is interesting to me, since there seems to be so little interest in these and so little history about how and where they were distributed.

I'm hoping that you folks could chip in and help me out, by checking out any W502s you may have, and then posting in this thread what you see on the back. What I'm looking for is this:

1) Player name and card number
2) What's printed specifically on the back (i.e. "ONE BAGGER - Hold What You Got", "ONE BAGGER", "THREE BAGGER", "HOME RUN", blank back, etc.)
3) What direction the printing is oriented - on some cards, when you flip it over, the printing goes left to right from the bottom to the top of the card. On others, the printing goes from the top to the bottom.

I'm hoping to get an understanding of what cards are out there, what all the different variations are, and if there is any relationship between the player and what's printed on the back.

Feel free to share f/b scans if you like.

Thank you in advance for your help - I'll be sure to publish what I find right here.

Regards,
-Al

Edited for clarity